Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

6 Week Challenge in May?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
220 messages over 28 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18 ... 27 28 Next >>
Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4958 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 137 of 220
04 May 2011 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
Phantom Kat wrote:
ellasevia wrote:
Phantom Kat wrote:
I took a Spanish AP exam today, which with breaks and stuff came to about 3.5 hours of language time (listening, writing, reading, and even speaking). That's going to bump me up a bit. :)

Wait, we're not allowed to count class/school time, are we? If so I would be able to count an extra hour of each Japanese and German every day, plus however long it will take me to take the German and French AP tests... As a rule I only count time that I spend as part of my own individual studies.

I assumed we could since whether we're in school or not, it's still time spent on a language and language material, right? The time spent on school still contributes to the knowledge we have of the language at the end of the six weeks. Plus, nothing about classes/tests was mentioned in the beginning.

But if we can't, sorry then. D:

- Kat

I thought we could count school time, too. It really doesn't affect me as far as Spanish, since all my study is done on my own, but for Polish I take private lessons so I count the time spent in those.
1 person has voted this message useful

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6736 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 138 of 220
04 May 2011 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
As for the immersion situation, it should definitely count, just
like having a long conversation counts. Just try to objectively estimate how much of
that time you were talking or attentively listening to your target language.

What about those of us who live in-country and use a foreign language as part of our
everyday life? For example, I use Japanese for work and with my friends and host
family; I probably use it as often as I do English. Yet, because it's like second
nature to me, I don't exactly feel like I'm "practicing" as such or learning something
new whenever I have a conversation, so I wouldn't feel right awarding myself several
hours of "study time" per day. Similarly, there are some forum members like Sprachprofi
who might even have a better command of English than I do, and I would hate to compete
with them if they were taking into account how often they used English! Where do we
draw the line in such cases? I guess we should actually feel some kind of mental effort
and some sense of progress in order for the time to count (e.g. if I read a difficult
article or watched a movie that allowed me to pick up some new phrases)?

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4778 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 139 of 220
04 May 2011 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
Lucky Charms wrote:
What about those of us who live in-country and use a foreign language as part of our everyday life? [...] I don't exactly feel like I'm "practicing" as such or learning something new whenever I have a conversation, so I wouldn't feel right awarding myself several hours of "study time" per day. Similarly, there are some forum members like Sprachprofi who might even have a better command of English than I do, and I would hate to compete with them if they were taking into account how often they used English! Where do we draw the line in such cases? I guess we should actually feel some kind of mental effort and some sense of progress in order for the time to count [...]

I live in Italy, but I don't count the minutes I speak Italian, even if I'm on a B2-level. I just count the time I spend doing "some kind of mental effort", as you say (mostly learning Portuguese and Russian).
Last night I spent some hours translating the LingQ-website. Even if I have a good command of Spanish and French, I still have to look up words, compare expressions and search for the right context, so that everything suits well (I'm not an interpreter!).
I don't count the time spent in this forum either, when writing in English.
I guess it is a question of good common sense and honesty. It does not help to post we've been doing this and that just to gain points and to increase our ranks. After this 6WC there should be a useful outcome. It would be stupid to cheat ourselves...

Edited by Mae on 04 May 2011 at 4:05pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6257 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 140 of 220
04 May 2011 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
School language class time definitely counts... it would be unfair to exclude it if
people like fuerte_viento can spend 100% of their days on language study and some of us
have to work or go to school. Also, if we didn't count it, it would be difficult to
count private tutoring time. Just keep the goal in mind. If you find that you're dozing
in Spanish class, or otherwise not being focussed or not getting much out of it
compared to self-study activities, don't award yourself the full time.

As for living abroad and languages one speaks very well... only count time that you're
intent on learn something in your target language(s). I may be using English a lot, but
not with the intent of improving. I don't even consider it a target language anymore
because it's just normal. Besides, I think intent is very important when it comes to
our likelihood of picking up something. It is possible for an expat to live somewhere,
greet people, order a coffee, and in several years never learn more than that, simply
because the intent is missing and the brain doesn't see those interactions as an
opportunity to learn.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 04 May 2011 at 5:41pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5769 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 141 of 220
04 May 2011 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
I'm a bit late to the party but I've just registered to join in. With Japanese, because I have no time for anything else. My username is gsbod because apparantly gbod was already taken! I was thinking earlier today about how to motivate myself and if I could get counting hours to work for me. I tried it with spreadsheets a couple of years ago but it felt like I was spending more time logging that could have been spent studying. Maybe twitter will make it easier. And I like the competitive element, I have four days of catching up to do!

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4973 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 142 of 220
04 May 2011 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
Yay, I found the library. Time to get my serious study on!

Edit: Does anyone know how to make anki switch between asking the "question" and the "answer?"

Edited by hjordis on 04 May 2011 at 7:59pm

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4958 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 143 of 220
04 May 2011 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
hjordis wrote:
Yay, I found the library. Time to get my serious study on!

Edit: Does anyone know how to make anki switch between asking the "question" and the "answer?"

Open a deck, and then click on "Edit". Next click "Browse Items", then "Card Layout", and finally "Flip". I hope that made sense!

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4973 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 144 of 220
04 May 2011 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
Mine was a bit different, but that helped me find it. Thanks!

This discussion contains 220 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version