Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

6 Week Challenge in May?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
220 messages over 28 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23 ... 27 28 Next >>
Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5480 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 177 of 220
08 June 2011 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
zecchino1991 wrote:
Jinx wrote:
Six weeks from when it started would be about June 14, I believe.

Heyyy don't confuse anyone now! We don't want people to keep adding time after the six
weeks are up. :P It should be over at midnight of June 12 (in other words, the night of
June 11). That would be exactly six weeks. Am I right about that? That's what Jeff said
too. But I want to make sure...

Edit: Actually, that makes me wonder, what's gonna stop people from adding time after
it's over?

Whoops, of course, thanks for the correction! This whole thing's been run on the honor system so far, so I think it ought to work fine to continue that way. If anyone *does* post to the bot after midnight, I'll just assume they're reporting studying that took place before midnight.
1 person has voted this message useful

RedBeard
United States
atariage.com
Joined 5889 days ago

126 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek*
Studies: French, German

Message 178 of 220
11 June 2011 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
Today is the day.

Come on, people! Finish strong!

Edited by RedBeard on 11 June 2011 at 11:09pm

RedBeard
United States
atariage.com
Joined 5889 days ago

126 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek*
Studies: French, German

Message 179 of 220
12 June 2011 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
Well it seems that this Six Week Challenge is over now. (I don't think there are any time zones left in "yesterday"...) Thanks & Congratulations to all who did this with me. Big congratulations to amy_burr, JNatAlkhimia and AnyaPop who came in at the top!

A couple quick thoughts on my own studies: my French is much stronger than ever so that's great, made it 2/3 through my Assimil course (did double lessons per day a lot), watched several FIA videos but should have watched more I realize, when watching movies with or without subtitles I can't keep up - so plenty more work to be done.

:wq

P.S. Here are some time guidelines for the six week challenge
0 hrs/day = 0 hrs (there were some of these, probably "life" got in the way)
15 mns/day = 10.5 hrs
30 mns/day = 21 hrs
1 hrs/day = 42 hrs (this is about where I ended up)
2 hrs/day = 84 hrs
3 hrs/day = 126 hrs
4 hrs/day = 168 hrs
5 hrs/day = 210 hrs (the top people were in this range! congrats!)

2 persons have voted this message useful

psy88
United States
Joined 5378 days ago

469 posts - 882 votes 
Studies: Spanish*, Japanese, Latin, French

Message 180 of 220
13 June 2011 at 2:06am | IP Logged 
I was never an "official" entry in the Challenge but it really helped to motivate me.I thank you all for having it! It got me to push myself to another level in Spanish. But-of course- there was a down side. I was away from French, my second target language, the entire time. I am now worrying about how and where to pick up with my French. I had finished Pimsleur Level I and (based upon suggestions from this forum) was using Michele Thomas when I stopped to put all me effort (successfully :) I must say) into my Spanish. Do any of you have a similar dilemma? I think it was worth sacrificing my French for the Challenge but now I need to get my mind back to French.

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5045 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 181 of 220
13 June 2011 at 4:30am | IP Logged 
I had that problem too. In December I decided to choose 4 languages for this year and
study each one intensively for 3 months, and one extra to study intensively for the whole
year (and it was Arabic, which is what I studied for the 6 week challenge). But I ended
up almost completely neglecting them, which kind of screwed up my plans. :/ But I think
it was worth it because I learned a lot of Arabic, and that's my main language for this
year anyway!

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6257 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 182 of 220
14 June 2011 at 10:55am | IP Logged 
The 6 Week Challenge Results page is back up:
http://6wc.learnlangs.com
Sorry for the inconvenience, the server needed an urgent security update.

Congratulations everyone!

Top achievers for their target language:
1. amy_burr (Arabic)
2. JNatAlkhimia (Thai)
3. AnyaPop (German)
All of them spent more than 200 hours on their one target language. It's truly
humbling, considering that's about how much I spent on my best language last year in
the entire year. It's a particularly surprising result because I would have thought
that it would be easier to achieve higher hours with European languages, because you
can read, surf the web and watch TV sooner, more pleasant than textbook study. Then
again, I didn't do well with Spanish - I reached my goal (being able to read Spanish
fiction for pleasure and stop confusing it with Italian) way too quickly and
subsequently couldn't find the motivation to do more, also because I got absorbed into
programming projects and did little language study overall in these 6 weeks. I really
have to do better next time. Maybe I should choose Thai or Arabic.

Top achievers in overall language-learning time:
1. JNatAlkhimia (seriously: >80 hours of wanderlust in addition to 240 hours of Thai?!)
2. amy_burr
3. MultiMae (studying almost as much Russian as Portuguese)
4. AnyaPop
5. Jpp4 (Portuguese & Russian)
Again, more than 200 hours each.

In the top ranks, almost all are HTLAL members, with the notable exception of Jpp4, who
put "Unaffiliated". Someone make him an honorary member please.

Another fun stat: 24 people studied (not just target) languages for ca. 60 hours in
this time. Given some of the top scores, that at first may not look like much, but in
fact it means 10 hours a week of study. Way to go!

Others didn't have as much time to allot because of work and other commitments. I think
they still deserve an applause for giving it their best.

What now?

It would be good to hear from everyone what worked for them and what didn't, and what
level they managed to reach at how many hours of study, because I suspect that the
often-cited FSI hours to fluency do not apply to self-study.

I will probably organize another 6 Week Challenge + Twitter in the future - write to
@Junesun to vote for/against and suggest any
improvements to the format. For now, I
don't want to interfere with the next
Tadoku Challenge (Read more or die), which is
supposed to start in July. Plus it's the perfect time to expand on our newly-learned
languages through extensive reading.

Have a good language learning!

Edited by Sprachprofi on 14 June 2011 at 10:57am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5343 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 183 of 220
14 June 2011 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
A hearty congratulations to amy_burr, JNatAlkhimia, AnyaPop, MultiMae, Jpp4, and all the other high flyers! With a final leading score of 326 hours, and over 240 hours invested in target languages like Arabic or Thai alone, I'm simply humbled by your achievements too.

I only managed a mere fraction of these hours by comparison, but the competition definitely encouraged me to fit in more hours of study than usual, and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. In fact, I almost feel a little sad not to be posting my tweets there anymore.

So a big "thank you" to Sprachprofi for creating the cool Twitter bot (I'd love to know how to do this) and arranging the competition. You can definitely put me down on the list for the next one. :)

Edited by Teango on 14 June 2011 at 1:29pm

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5343 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 184 of 220
14 June 2011 at 1:55pm | IP Logged 
@Sprachprofi
Is the next round of the Tadoku Challenge open to newcomers? It seems like it's halfway through for any reasonable chance of catch-up, with some very impressive counts on the leader board already... (I'm guessing here that scores are based on the number of pages you read in a month?)

Thanks.

Edited by Teango on 14 June 2011 at 1:56pm

This discussion contains 220 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version