Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

6 Week Challenge in May?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
220 messages over 28 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 24 ... 27 28 Next >>
g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5769 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 185 of 220
14 June 2011 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
First of all a big thankyou to Sprachprofi for setting up this challenge. And a big well done to the big high scorers. In fact, a big well done to everyone. I absolutely loved the system with the Twitterbot. I had always resisted using twitter but what we have here is an incredibly simple system for tracking our behaviour. I feel quite strange now when I realise I no longer have to count my hours studying!

I realise I was stretching the definition of 6WC by entering with Japanese, as I have been studying it as my only language for nearly three years. But I had been bumbling around in lower intermediate/upper beginner for a long time. I could claim B1 reading at a stretch but probably not for any other skill.

However, I witnessed a real improvement in my skills. I think one thing that was key was the insistence that you counted time for working hard. As I could claim more time reading than watching a TV show I switched to extensive reading for times when I wanted to do Japanese but didn't want to sit with a textbook and I am now a convert. I'm still limited by unknown kanji however my reading is much more fluent and surprisingly this has also helped to improve my listening comprehension. I'm just that much more comfortable with the Japanese way of saying things.

I think the challenge has also given me a bit of a reality check. My score averaged out at just under twelve hours a week. 6 weeks is a good period for looking at what is trully feasible as some weeks life got in the way but other weeks I could catch up. I have realised that I became stuck trying to squeeze too much into time that isn't available. I think my optimum approach, at least until my kanji knowledge reaches a critical mass and becomes self sustaining, is probably an hour a day of formal study and an hour a day of reading with the option of one day off a week to make my twelve hours.

I don't think I could legitimately participate in a 6WC again with Japanese and I think I have demonstrated to myself that I do not have enough time to pick up a new language at present. However, I am seriously considering tadoku in July. I have been won over by the twitterbot.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6257 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 186 of 220
14 June 2011 at 2:26pm | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
@Sprachprofi
Is the next round of the Tadoku Challenge open to newcomers? It seems like it's halfway
through for any reasonable chance of catch-up, with some very impressive counts on the
leader board already... (I'm guessing here that scores are based on the number of pages
you read in a month?)

Thanks.

Yes, every round of the Tadoku Challenge is a whole new game, with new sign-up and all.
There will be an overall highscore for the entire year (4 challenges), but if you just
participate in challenge 3 or 4 you can still try to make the top that month. I only
joined for the 2nd challenge.
2 persons have voted this message useful

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6802 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 188 of 220
14 June 2011 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
Kuikentje wrote:
I don't understand the 6 week challenges.

Essentially, it boils down to the following:
1. Pick a language and study it intensively for six weeks.
2. After six weeks, you'll be a lot further advanced than you were when you started.

Simple really :)

Edited by patuco on 15 June 2011 at 12:00am

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5168 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 189 of 220
15 June 2011 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
To me, the challenge was an opportunity to understand a little better how I study, and how my study time is broken down. In the end, I ended up studying about an hour and a half a day on average; sometimes more, sometimes not at all.

I don't know if I'll participate again, but I really want to thank Sprachprofi for her leadership and for all the work she put into creating an effective system that allowed this challenge to take place.

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6016 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 191 of 220
15 June 2011 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
That was awesome!!

Thanks spachprofi!!

When is the next one??!!
4 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6257 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 192 of 220
16 June 2011 at 12:55am | IP Logged 
Probably in August. The Tadoku Challenge will be in July. They originally came up with
the idea of having a Twitter bot track things.

This discussion contains 220 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version