Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

6 Week Challenge in May?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
220 messages over 28 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 27 28 Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6255 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 209 of 220
27 June 2011 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
Yes, it starts on August 1st and goes till mid-September because the next Tadoku should
start on October 1st. I will post here when sign-up is possible. I need to make some
changes to the bot because it's only laid out for one-time use ;-)

Meanwhile, let's have a poll: which language should be the new focus language? I mean,
23 people studied Spanish last time, more than any other target language, and it was
good being able to see what resources people were discovering, or ways that they
managed to fit Spanish into their lives. We could have gone further and have a
community chat in Spanish or something like that even. So instead of Spanish, which
language shall be the next focus? Indicate your answers at
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/B7DNKPX

I'm likely to go for a non-European language this time because the top scorers last
time studied Arabic and Thai.

(Yes you're still allowed to study any language you wish, even if nobody else studies
it)

Edited by Sprachprofi on 27 June 2011 at 4:00pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5166 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 210 of 220
27 June 2011 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
Best of luck to everyone participating in the next Tadoku, but I'm definitely sitting this one out. Actually, I had a little bit of a study burn-out after the last challenge and I'm just starting to slowly crawl out of it.

Anyone else burnt out by the challenge?

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6734 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 211 of 220
28 June 2011 at 6:40am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Anyone else burnt out by the challenge?

Yes, I'm ashamed to admit that after the 6WC I was enjoying my "freedom" a little bit too much, and almost immediately reverted back to my old study habits! So
instead of either sitting out the Tadoku challenge or getting really gung-ho about it all over again, I'm just going to pace myself. I want to develop good
habits that I can sustain in the long run this time.

And Sprachprofi, I do agree that it's more fun when many of us are participating with the same language. If we choose a less common non-IE language next time, I
wonder if more people will go for it because they haven't studied it yet (as many already had with Spanish), or less people will go for it because it's less
popular and seen as less useful than Spanish? It will be interesting to find out.

Edited by Lucky Charms on 28 June 2011 at 6:48am

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6255 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 212 of 220
29 June 2011 at 10:02am | IP Logged 
Right now, there have been 23 respondents but the no. 1 language only has 5 votes. Please
indicate all languages that you might participate with, not just your favorite language.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/B7DNKPX

nerxs
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 4757 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: German*, English, French
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Latin

Message 213 of 220
29 June 2011 at 10:37am | IP Logged 
What was the no. 1 languages with the 5 votes? :) I would also do Latin, but it's not on the list.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6255 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 214 of 220
29 June 2011 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
I just added Latin, sorry for that.

Right now there have been 28 replies and 5 is still the maximum amount of people that
agree on one result. Languages with 5 "Yes" votes are: French, German, Korean, Russian.
Languages with 4 "Yes" votes are: Arabic, Indonesian, Japanese, Persian.

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4900 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 215 of 220
29 June 2011 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
Finally I'm hearing about a 6WC before it starts! This will be my first one! I went to that poll eager to vote for Swahili, but then I saw American Sign Language and got even more excited. (I also voted for Dutch and Norwegian.) I know I should do French, which I only started a few weeks ago, because adding another language would be fun but bad. We'll see.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5767 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 216 of 220
29 June 2011 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
At the moment I am wondering whether taking part in August with Welsh would be a great idea or a recipe for disaster.

This discussion contains 220 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version