Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

6 Week Challenge in May?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
220 messages over 28 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 27 28 Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6248 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 33 of 220
17 April 2011 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
I am close to finishing the bot. The score will be based on minutes. Any minutes, i. e.
it doesn't matter if you're studying a textbook, using Anki, reading intensively or the
like. However, I ask that you award yourself less minutes according to your own
discretion if you haven't been focusing 100%, e. g. for listening to Spanish in the
background or if you find yourself reading too much English when using a parallel text.

Compared to the Tadoku bot, this bot allows more freedom in expression. For example,
you can tweet
"@6WCBot I studied the #Spanish textbook "Eso sì" for 1 hour and 25 minutes today and
learned the future tense."

Any free wording is fine, as long as it contains the language (#es, #spa, #Spanish or
#Español) and the time spent as minutes and/or hours.
This also works:
"@6WCBot 85min #es #book"

If you use extra tags like #book, the statistics page will be able to tell you how much
of your time was spent on what activity. This is non-standardized and for your own
information only.

There will be two rankings: one for hours spent on your target language and one for all
hours that you spend learning languages. So if you have to do some maintenance, you can
still make it count. The number of maintenance languages is not limited. In exchange,
everyone can only designate ONE language as main target.

The bot can obviously only rank those people who post their updates on Twitter. If you
haven't used Twitter before, it's easy, just go to
http://www.twitter.com,
make an account (registration is free and quick) and enter whatever you did. You don't
need special software. Still, if you prefer not to use Twitter, that's fine, and you
can still look at the statistics of what the others are doing.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 17 April 2011 at 8:08pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Skeeter3
United States
Joined 4800 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 34 of 220
18 April 2011 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
Sign me up! I have been thinking about trying to learn Spanish the last few weeks and
this challenge is the perfect kick-start I need. I am an, almost, complete beginner I
think, having only taken two semesters of Spanish about 7 years ago, and haven't touched
it since. Looking forward to starting! Is there and official start date?

EDIT: I have Twitter. I'll try to remember to send updates to the bot.

Edited by Skeeter3 on 18 April 2011 at 1:58pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6727 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 35 of 220
18 April 2011 at 3:57am | IP Logged 
Alright, I'd like to confirm that I'll be participating with Spanish!

I like to use Anki a lot for my language study. I suppose time spent reviewing Spanish
cards should count toward the challenge, but how about the time spent creating the
cards?
In making a typical card, I would be typing up a Spanish sentence I found in a book (or
searching for one to copy-and-paste from Google), copying a definition from a
monolingual dictionary, searching the net for an appropriate image, and editing images
and audio. This is some parts language-related and some parts busywork. Would anyone
object if I awarded myself minutes for this? Or would 1/2 or 2/3 minutes or something
like that be more appropriate?

EDIT: By the way, my name on twitter is bri_tyan. I'm looking forward to the
challenge!

Edited by Lucky Charms on 18 April 2011 at 3:59am

getreallanguage
Diglot
Argentina
youtube.com/getreall
Joined 5249 days ago

240 posts - 371 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Italian, Dutch

Message 36 of 220
18 April 2011 at 4:20am | IP Logged 
When exactly does the challenge start? I'm considering joining the ranks in what would be my first six week challenge... doing Croatian or maybe Dutch. I'm an absolute beginner in both. I would also be doing maintenance on my Italian, of course.

iZach
United States
Joined 4864 days ago

13 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 37 of 220
18 April 2011 at 7:52am | IP Logged 
I'd like to participate with Japanese. The only Japanese I know is 5 words, 5 Hiragana,
and 1 Kanji. Lol:)

If I participate though, I have no clue what my learning method will be. I have a few
Japanese books and Assimil Japanese. I tried Assimil out though and I just couldn't get
the hang of it. I was supposed to start studying Japanese like 5 months ago, but gave up
after like 2 weeks as my learning methods sucked and I was making almost no progress. I
would like to start up again though, somehow.:)

Mhh I could get Human Japanese and use that. Idk though.

Edited by iZach on 18 April 2011 at 7:58am

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5113 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 38 of 220
18 April 2011 at 7:55am | IP Logged 
After some deliberation and gentle encouragement, I've decided to add my name to the list, even though the timing doesn't really suit with my schedule. I may drop out if I notice Spanish is negatively affecting my French but I promised myself during the JDC that the next time there was a 6WC, I'd be able to participate so I can't pass this up.

I will be using le nouvel espagnol sans peine and I have Berlitz Spanish as well but I'm not sure if I'll be using it. I don't have a twitter account and I swore to myself I never would but this sounds like a good opportunity to end my twitter-boycott.

Edited by ReneeMona on 18 April 2011 at 8:04am

Magdalene
Diglot
United States
Joined 4814 days ago

119 posts - 220 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, German, Modern Hebrew, French

Message 39 of 220
18 April 2011 at 8:42am | IP Logged 
I'm in! It'll be Polish for me...and no Twitter (I need another social networking account like I need a hole in the head, ha). But I'll keep track of my
hours and report as needed. Here's looking forward to May!

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6007 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 40 of 220
18 April 2011 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Spanish won't work for me because I already speak it, but I'll watch eagerly from the sidelines
and can offer help to anyone that needs it.
...but you said that we could theoretically choose any language? Hm... In that case I choose Polish....

I'm in the same boat... I already speak Spanish. But I would love to try

HINDI!!

Yes, that's right , I'm changing my language right before the start date. There are just so many more opportunities to practice Hindi in Eugene!

With Hindi, I'm pretty much starting from ground level and I'm really curious how much I can learn in 6 weeks! My plan is to learn the alphabet, do one unit of Assimil Le Hindi Sans Peine a day, plus TY Beginner's Hindi/ TY Hindi ( a unit every few days).

We shall see... I my goal is to get through all 3 books in 6 weeks and see where I am at. I hope to be able to roughly follow a Bollywood dialogue and raise the eyebrows of the staff at my favorite Indian restaurant in town.

Edited by liddytime on 26 April 2011 at 6:28pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 220 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version