Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

6 Week Challenge in May?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
220 messages over 28 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 27 28 Next >>
Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5610 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 41 of 220
18 April 2011 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
I'm in for French, I have some experience in the language but have never had any luck resurrecting it before. I'll be
using Assimil and then diving right into L/R. I'll also be logging maintenance hours in Japanese. My twitter name is
the same as my name here if anyone wants to follow me.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6252 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 42 of 220
19 April 2011 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
The bot is ready! (I hope!)

Read the instructions at http://6wc.learnlangs.com/howto and then start
flooding the bot with sign-ups. And bookmark the neat stats page I made!

Start of the challenge is May 1st, midnight your time.

vanillabean
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4790 days ago

53 posts - 63 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 43 of 220
19 April 2011 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
Wow, that is so great! Thanks.

Approximately how long does it take the bot to confirm your registration?

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6252 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 44 of 220
19 April 2011 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
I have the bot set to check for new Twitter messages (registrations and scores) every 5
minutes. However, there was an unforeseeable database issue, so the first few
registrations took longer to process. Now it's working fine.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6252 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 45 of 220
19 April 2011 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
There is a problem with people who protected their updates. Protecting your updates on
Twitter means that nobody is able to see them unless they become your friends first. That
includes the bot, so the bot won't know you're signing up if your updates are protected.

Consider un-protecting your updates. If that is not an option, follow the bot and wait
till it requests to friend you; allow that request and only THEN post your registration.

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4968 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 46 of 220
19 April 2011 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:
ellasevia wrote:
Spanish won't work for me because I already speak it, but I'll watch eagerly from the sidelines
and can offer help to anyone that needs it.

...but you said that we could theoretically choose any language? Hm... In that case I choose Polish. I don't have
Twitter though, so I won't be keeping track of my hours on there with everyone else -- is that a problem?

I'm in the same boat... I already speak Spanish. But I would love to try INDONESIAN ( Bahasa Indonesia )

I'm starting from ground zero and I'm curious how much I can learn in 6 weeks since it it "rumored" to be an "easy"
language.   I've never done a challenge before so I don't really know the procedure but I imagine one tries to learn
as much as possible and log the results??

I'm not interested in Spanish, but I think I will do Indonesian as well. I don't have much time, but I have been meaning to try it out, so I'll see how much I can get done.

Edited by hjordis on 19 April 2011 at 10:45pm

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5342 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 47 of 220
20 April 2011 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
I have had multiple false beginnings with Spanish (most recently just a few weeks ago), so will definitely be using May for some intensive study. Unfortunately I am going to be without internet for a few months (well, I'm sure I'll be able to look in on you occasionally, but won't be doing any posting or twittering).

My experience with Dutch was very positive, now being able to read children's books, newspaper headlines, websites, and of course some of the other participants went much further.

Hopefully I will be able to get to the same level with Spanish. At the moment I'm A0+ for language "feel" (I know that doesn't get mentioned much in the courses, basically I've been through MT a couple of times), but A0- for actual hard grammar and vocab.

getreallanguage
Diglot
Argentina
youtube.com/getreall
Joined 5253 days ago

240 posts - 371 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Italian, Dutch

Message 48 of 220
21 April 2011 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
Well, I've made my decision. Count me in for Dutch! Currently the only materials I have is the 2003 edition of Teach Yourself Dutch (book and audio CDs). I'd greatly appreciate suggestions on other materials, particularly of the kind available online.

Edit: leafing through the TY Dutch book I can see that it doesn't offer a lot of detail regarding grammar. Any grammar references online, however basic the grammar points covered, would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by getreallanguage on 21 April 2011 at 9:46pm

This discussion contains 220 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version