Groupie
Canada
Joined 4868 days ago

54 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 2
16 April 2011 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
I've been learning french on my own now for a little over 6 months, but I have yet to use arguably one of my most
useful sources, my uncle from who immigrated to Canada from France when he was in his early 20s. I'm a
perfectionist and I don't want to make a total fool of myself when starting to speak with him, but I've made it my
goal to start talking with him in french by the end of this month. I'm now wondering how I should pronounce his
name once we do start talking in french. His name is Lionel, and everyone I've heard use his name pronounces it
something like "line-el". So I'm not sure if I should keep using the anglicized pronunciation or if I should try going
for a more french "leo-nel"

Has anyone experienced any similar situations?

Edited by JasonE on 16 April 2011 at 10:05pm

1 person has voted this message useful

SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6457 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 2 of 2
16 April 2011 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
I have met native speakers of my target languages, and I think the best thing to do is ask them what they prefer to be called. Some prefer an anglicized name, and others prefer a more native version. There is no answer that is right for every person.
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version