10 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5474 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 1 of 10
16 April 2011 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
I've noticed that, in printed French material, the capitalized equivalents of "à" and "é" almost always lose their accents, I assume due to typing constraints. (Example: I usually see "aux Etats-Unis" although I could also theoretically type "aux États-Unis".)

My question is, when handwriting French, does one also practice this technique? Has it become common enough to see the accent left off in printing that people have carried this over to writing? Or would it just be confusing to do that?
1 person has voted this message useful

FrostBlast
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4880 days ago

168 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Icelandic

Message 2 of 10
17 April 2011 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
It's really up to the person who's writing. I personally always put my accents whether the letter is capital or not, as do most people of my age (or a little older, and pretty much all who are younger). I do know that for people of my parents' generation, it's much more common not to put the accents on capital letters. So I guess it's a matter of "language fashion" and education, in some way.

By the way, this does NOT affect the C-cédille ç Ç. You **always** put the cédille on those, be it a capital C or not.

Edited by FrostBlast on 17 April 2011 at 1:10am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Ikipou
Diglot
Norway
lingua.ikipou.com/
Joined 4771 days ago

24 posts - 23 votes

Message 3 of 10
17 April 2011 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
In theory capital letters should have the accent but, thanks to bad software/keyboard, it is now common not to have it.

Some more info: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_des_majuscules_en_fran%C3 %A7ais#Accentuation_des_majuscules_et_des_capitales
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 4 of 10
17 April 2011 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
My understanding was always that people in Québec always used them, but that for people
in France, it was quite acceptable not to use accents on capitals. FrostBlast's account
contradicts that a little, but my experience differs and I can't say I've noticed older
people not using accents in Québec.

In my job as a translator, we'd never let an unaccented capital go uncorrected.

Edited by Arekkusu on 17 April 2011 at 5:54pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

FrostBlast
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4880 days ago

168 posts - 254 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Icelandic

Message 5 of 10
18 April 2011 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
FrostBlast's account contradicts that a little, but my experience differs and I can't say I've noticed older people not using accents in Québec.

It might differ a lot more than I realized, and for other reasons than those I thought, then.

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5474 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 6 of 10
18 April 2011 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
This is really interesting... so far it looks like there isn't a single absolute rule (although I'm sure L'Académie Française would have something to say about that!). I guess for now I'm going to keep it in handwriting and leave it off in typing, because on my computer, accents on capitals tend to look a bit deformed on the screen.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 7 of 10
18 April 2011 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
Jinx wrote:
This is really interesting... so far it looks like there isn't a single absolute rule (although I'm sure L'Académie Française would have something to say about that!). I guess for now I'm going to keep it in handwriting and leave it off in typing, because on my computer, accents on capitals tend to look a bit deformed on the screen.

There is no rule that states that accents should be removed from capitals; it's just that some people don't use them. If I were you, I'd use accents regardless of whether it's lower or upper case.

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5474 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 

Message 8 of 10
18 April 2011 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Jinx wrote:

There is no rule that states that accents should be removed from capitals; it's just that some people don't use them. If I were you, I'd use accents regardless of whether it's lower or upper case.

Ah, okay. So you think it doesn't matter if my accent aigu ends up looking like a sort of smeared top line of the E? I suppose everyone would know what it's supposed to be, so it wouldn't really be a problem...

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version