German question

Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
Swiper
United States
Joined 4758 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 1 of 8
16 April 2011 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
Zum Beispiel wie es ist, wenn dem Menschen im Restaurant gegenüber eine Nudel im Gesicht klebt .

Im having trouble with the middle of the sentence. I cant grasp the wording. From the context It seems that the
men are thinking about a noodle stuck on someones face, but cant grasp the exact meaning of the sentence. thank
you

1 person has voted this message useful

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5480 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 2 of 8
16 April 2011 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
I'm not a native German speaker, so take this with a grain of salt, but I'll give it a try.

I think the preposition "gegenüber" (meaning "across from") causes the dative in the article "dem" before "Menschen." Since "Mensch" is a "weak masculine" noun, that means that when it's a dative object it takes the ending "en" even in the singular!

So, a word-for-word translation might be:
"For example how it is, when to-the person in-the restaurant across-from a noodle in-the face sticks."

Or, better translated:
"For example, when a noodle is stuck to the face of the person sitting across from you in a restaurant."

Anyone who has a better grasp of German than I do, please make the necessary corrections to my attempted analysis!

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5085 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 3 of 8
16 April 2011 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
Swiper wrote:
Zum Beispiel wie es ist, wenn dem Menschen im Restaurant gegenüber eine Nudel im Gesicht klebt .

Im having trouble with the middle of the sentence. I cant grasp the wording. From the context It seems that the
men are thinking about a noodle stuck on someones face, but cant grasp the exact meaning of the sentence. thank
you

Eine Nudel - klebt.
Eine Nudel - klebt - im Gesicht.
Eine Nudel - klebt - dem Menschen - im Gesicht (meaning: klebt im Gesicht des Menschen).
Eine Nudel - klebt - dem Menschen gegenüber (the man who is sitting vis-à-vis) im Gesicht.
Eine Nudel - klebt - dem Menschen im Restaurant gegenüber (who is sitting vis-à-vis in the restaurant)- im Gesicht.
Dem Menschen im Restaurant gegenüber - klebt eine Nudel im Gesicht.
..., wenn - dem Menschen im Restaurant gegenüber eine Nudel im Gesicht klebt.
Now it is a subordinate clause, because of the "wenn", and the word order is different, the verb moves to the end of the clause.
Hope it helps.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Swiper
United States
Joined 4758 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 4 of 8
20 April 2011 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
I have another question from the German podcast.

Dieses Thema hat sich mein lieber Stammhörer Art Lader gewünscht, der mit Schülern der Aiken High School bald
nach Deutschland kommen wird.

What exactly is Lader in this sentence?

And is there a different way to ask specific German questions? I wouldnt want to create new threads?

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5553 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 5 of 8
20 April 2011 at 2:50am | IP Logged 
Art Lader = proper name

And it's not a German one, it's an American one.

That's up to you, I guess.

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6452 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 6 of 8
20 April 2011 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
Swiper wrote:

This is well illustrated in this sketch by Loriot.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Rob_Austria
Heptaglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4789 days ago

84 posts - 293 votes 
Speaks: German*, Italian, Spanish, French, English, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Croatian, Mandarin, Russian, Arabic (Written), Turkish

Message 7 of 8
27 April 2011 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
Swiper wrote:

you

Ich hätte auch Schwierigkeiten, den Satz richtig zu verstehen und meiner Meinung nach ist er im Deutschen falsch.

(...) wenn dem Menschen im Restaurant gegenüber (...) heißt nämlich, dass sich der Mensch in einem Restaurant befindet, das dem Sprechenden gegenüber (z. B. auf der anderen Straßenseite) liegt.

Ich glaube aber nicht, dass das gemeint war. Der Satz hätte meiner Auffassung nach richtigerweise wie folgt lauten müssen:

(...) wenn dem Menschen gegenüber im Restaurant (...). Dann wäre klar, dass ich über eine Person spreche, mit der ich mich gemeinsam im selben Restaurant befinde und die mir gegenüber sitzt. Aber auch dann wäre der Satz noch etwas schwer verständlich. Einfacher - zumindest von der Satzkonstruktion her betrachtet - wäre eine Formulierung wie: (...)wenn meinem Gegenüber im Restaurant eine Nudel im Gesicht klebt (...).

Um meinen Standpunkt noch einmal zu verdeutlichen, seien hier einige Beispiele angeführt:

a) Im Restaurant gegenüber sah ich einen auffällig gekleideten Mann.
b) Im Restaurant saß mir ein auffällig gekleideter Mann gegenüber.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Romanist
United Kingdom
Joined 5069 days ago

261 posts - 366 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 8 of 8
27 April 2011 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
I'm not a native speaker, but this is how I see this:

1.) "If the person sitting opposite me in the restaurant has a noodle sticking to his face..."

= Wenn dem Menschen, der im Restaurant mir gegenübersitzt, eine Nudel im Gesicht klebt...

2.) "If the person in the restaurant opposite [i.e 'over the way'] has a noodle sticking to his face..."

= Wenn dem Menschen im Restaurant gegenüber eine Nudel im Gesicht klebt...

As Rob says, the second example seems very clearly to imply that it is the restaurant (not the person) that is 'gegenüber' - and therefore, logically, situated away from the speaker on the other side of a road, a square, or etc...

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version