14 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
marty
United Kingdom
Joined 4769 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes

Message 1 of 14
17 April 2011 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
Hi there,

I was born in Poland and polish is my first language. I have been learning English for couple of years now and I think I speak the language not bad.
I would like to start learning another language but I dont know if I am ready to do it yet I mean I have lived in UK for almost few years now I read papers, watch English television and listen to the radio...I think that you can never learn everything at given language there are always new words or ones you dont know yet..But at some stage you have to say all right thats it I know the language good enough I can start to learn another one...But when do you think this time is?
Thanks for your opinions :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5150 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: Cantonese

Message 2 of 14
17 April 2011 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
Based on your post I'd say you're ready for it now. Your English should be good enough to learn a third language. Learning a new language doesn't mean you can't learn any more English, especially since you live in the UK. You will constantly hear English around you and you will keep making progress. You can keep reading papers, watching television and listen to the radio in English at the same time as you start a new language. As long as those two languages are at different level I don't see how they would interfere with each other. Out of curiosity, what language did you have in mind? :)
1 person has voted this message useful

portunhol
Triglot
United States
thelinguistblogger.w
Joined 6051 days ago

198 posts - 299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (classical)

Message 3 of 14
17 April 2011 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
Opinions? Sure! I think it depends on how much time has on one's hands and the language one wants to learn. If the third language is related to one's native language or one's second language then I think it's okay to wait until the B2 or maybe even B1 level. Especially in your case because you live in the UK.

Living "in country" can give one a false sense of security though. There are Mexicans that have lived in my city longer than I have and know less English than some Mexicans who arrived yesterday. There is nothing magical about being in the country in an of itself. Do you have to interact with English speakers for long periods of time during the day or can you get away with only speaking Polish most of the time?

If the third language is very different from one's first or second language and one does not have hat much time then I would suggest waiting until the second language is up to a C1 level before starting a third.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5180 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 4 of 14
17 April 2011 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
I think most people usually find, once they've started a third language, that most of the
fears they had were unjustified. Often times, the 2nd and 3rd languages motivate us to
study the other and both languages continue to grow. There is also nothing lost in
trying; quit if it doesn't feel right.
6 persons have voted this message useful

marty
United Kingdom
Joined 4769 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes

Message 5 of 14
17 April 2011 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
WingSuet I am not sure what language I would like to learn there are few languages I am interested in, for example Spanish or Italian...I dont know...what language in your opinion is closest related to English??
Portunhol - I only speak polish with my girlfriend most of the day I use English to communicate with others

marty
United Kingdom
Joined 4769 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes

Message 8 of 14
18 April 2011 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
I think I would like to learn dutch :) and what do you think about russian? just remember polish is my first language..

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version