Groupie
Italy
Joined 4764 days ago

70 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2, Russian
Studies: GermanA2, French, Danish

Message 1 of 7
18 April 2011 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
Hi everyone. I've been surfing the web a while, searching for blogs written by languages-appreciators, and came across many interesting ones. But lately, I've felt the need to find a community that would give me the chance to actually speak to them. So here I am.

I'm seventeen years old, Italian, currently living in Russia (exchange year programme, ending soon). I've always been interested in languages, my first love being English.
When I was 14, I had to choose a high school specialization, and of course chose to develop my skills in foreign languages. Apart from English and Russian, in which I find myself to be pleasantly fluent (still have to work on Russian, though), I currently study French and German at school, and just started peeking in the Spanish, Japanese and Lithuanian worlds.

But I've got a huge problem. Everyone thinks I'm going to get a degree in some language and become a translator or an interpreter. But that's the last thing I want to do. I hate translating. During the translation process, something gets lost. As if you were unrolling an enchanted parchment and most of the magic sparlking powder fell off. (Besides, I'm also hopeless at it.) And nobody could understand my reasons better than you, other foreign languages lovers. I've experienced life in a different culture (Russia) and loved it. I'd like to study and live abroad, in the future. But I don't don't don't want to translate anything. I don't want to be a bridge through languages. I want to live the cultures, the people behind them; often changing my residence, if necessary. But I'm having problems identifying which jobs would give me that opportunity. I don't even know what I want to do, besides. The only sure thing is I hate maths as much as translating.

Help me find my way!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5642 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 7
18 April 2011 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
There are other jobs which require foreign language skills than working as a translator / interpreter. I also hate translating because I get a headache again and again when I translate for several hours. Instead of this I worked as an office cerk and a call center agent dealing with foreign suppliers and customers speaking Dutch.

Fasulye
3 persons have voted this message useful

Alexander86
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
alanguagediary.blogs
Joined 4776 days ago

224 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 3 of 7
18 April 2011 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
Languages can be a hobby, or a job. They can be whatever you want really. You're pretty young to be worried about all these things, as worrying as things can be! There's so many things you can do, especially as you've already got many worlds you can explore with your languages. Just think carefully, be open minded and see what happens. You've already spent a year in Russia!! Which must have been such an amazing experience.

As a side note, it seems as if once you do one thing you're immediately (and sometimes unfairly) linked to one specific job... Like I used to love sport, and now I'm on the road to being an academic, which is far away from the world of sport. I guess I just want to say: Believe in your beliefs =) (and good luck!)
1 person has voted this message useful

mr_chinnery
England
Joined 5552 days ago

202 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 4 of 7
18 April 2011 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
You're too young to be worrying about what job you want to do! Just enjoy your languages
and passions, and something will fruit from them.

tbone
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4786 days ago

92 posts - 132 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 5 of 7
18 April 2011 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
I'd like to study and live abroad, in the future. ... I want to live the cultures, the people behind them; often
changing my residence, if necessary. But I'm having problems identifying which jobs would give me that
opportunity.

You've answered your own question. Move somewhere and then every real job will fulfill your requirements.
Work in a store, an office, a restaurant, write for a paper, or whatever.

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6460 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 6 of 7
22 April 2011 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
I used to work as an IT consultant and we had many international projects in Germany, France, Mexico and the United States, so I got to use my language skills but never had to translate anything.
2 persons have voted this message useful

vientito
Canada
Joined 6133 days ago

212 posts - 281 votes 

Message 7 of 7
17 July 2011 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
Believe me, there are some 30 somethings who still have not got a clue of what they
should do with their careers. Quit thinking about that far down the road. Enjoy what
you do and take it a day at a time.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version