Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
27 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 25 of 27
01 June 2011 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
DavidCarter wrote:
Even today, the idea of handing out translations is simply unthinkable for most Latin teachers; to them it is "dumbing down"(at least here in the UK, maybe not in the US)

Teachers like that haven't got a clue about language learning. My guess is that this attitude only has survived in Latin teaching because pupils traditionally weren't expected to do anything beyond passing an exam. In those cases where the pupils were supposed to learn to use their target language it would soon have become evident that it is important to understand text on the fly instead of doing it as some sort of puzzle solving. The point of using translations is to make it possible to check your guesses here and now instead of waiting for the judgment of a teacher several days later, and to get easy access to texts before you can understand them without that puzzling solving activity.

Edited by Iversen on 01 June 2011 at 3:07pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5214 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Esperanto, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 26 of 27
01 June 2011 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
DavidCarter wrote:
I don't know of any Latin or Greek teaching books that provide answer keys.

As a practical matter, one can often purchase the answer keys meant for teachers through homeschooler supply stores. I bought the Teacher's Handbook for Athenaze from Rainbow Resource Center, for example. While the Athenaze Workbook contains an answer key, the textbook itself does not.

BTW, a few days ago I updated my first post with several new links: Hamilton's Latin Aesop's Fables, Hamilton's French Gospel of John, & an Irish Gospel of John.

d.
2 persons have voted this message useful

lsilvaj
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 3911 days ago

34 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Russian

Message 27 of 27
28 September 2015 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
In all its simplicity, this is brilliant. I wish Assimil lessons were arranged this way.

But the gothic script in German texts is killing me.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version