Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
65 messages over 9 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 8 9 Next >>
hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4930 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 49 of 65
23 April 2011 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:

Ah, the good old double modals -- that's most probably a borrowing from Scots.

I wouldn't be surprised at all, now that you mention it. A lot of Scottish landed in that part of the country.

Up here in the north central states of the US there's a lot of Norwegian ancestry. As a kid everybody joked that to form a question all you had to do was surround a basic statement with "So ... then?" - "So, you're going to the store, then?", which is a Norwegian construct.

I think all over the US the speech patterns have been influenced by the immigration of different peoples.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 23 April 2011 at 11:30pm

1 person has voted this message useful

PonyGirl
Groupie
United States
Joined 4819 days ago

54 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 50 of 65
24 April 2011 at 4:54am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
PonyGirl wrote:
My biggest pet peeve is "him and me went to..." and such of the like.

I know -- that one really gets my goat. Everyone knows it's "me and him went..."

*cough* "he and I" *cough*

cntrational
Triglot
Groupie
India
Joined 4927 days ago

49 posts - 66 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Telugu, English*
Studies: French

Message 51 of 65
24 April 2011 at 7:32am | IP Logged 
"he and I" and "me and him" are both acceptable.

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5493 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 52 of 65
24 April 2011 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
PonyGirl wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
PonyGirl wrote:
My biggest pet peeve is "him and me went to..." and such of the like.

I know -- that one really gets my goat. Everyone knows it's "me and him went..."

*cough* "he and I" *cough*

I'm *pretty* sure Cainntear was making a joke...
3 persons have voted this message useful

Keilan
Canada
Joined 4886 days ago

125 posts - 241 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 53 of 65
25 April 2011 at 9:31am | IP Logged 
Is this topic really just going to degenerate into talking about all the "mistakes" that really bug us?

But that I/me thing... man that's annoying. I mean, it's just as bad as when an English speaker declines a noun in the Nominative case when they want the Accusative.

Wait... what's that? English nouns don't have a nominative or accusative declination? We determine thematic role via word order? And that is exactly why we don't need different nominative and accusative pronouns. I/me is going to go the way of the rest of the English case system, so we might as well get used to the so called "errors" now.

Edited by Keilan on 26 April 2011 at 10:19pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5253 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 54 of 65
25 April 2011 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
Keilan wrote:
Wait... what's that? English nouns don't have a nominative or accusative conjugation?

Actually, nouns haven't got conjugations in German or Latin either. They are declined. :-)
4 persons have voted this message useful

vilas
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6760 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Italian*, English, French, Portuguese

Message 55 of 65
25 April 2011 at 12:06pm | IP Logged 
I moved from Torino to Bologna few years ago and in the beginning , sometimes it was difficult to me to understand some words or idioms that bolognese people say often . These idioms are dialectal sentences literally translated from the dialect in standard Italian and when I say to them that is not Italian, usually they are surprised . They believe that this is standard Italian, and sometimes it is possibe to find these words in the local newspapers or even in the Municipality announcements .
They say " ho imparato" (I have learned) instead of "ho capito" ( I have understood)
they say " dammi il tiro" (give me the hook)(???) instead " aprimi la porta" (please open the door)
they call "rusco" the rubbish ( "immondizia") -
Then I found in internet dictionaries of bolognese slang and now I understand almost everybody here.

This discussion contains 65 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version