United States
Joined 6346 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 17 of 20
12 September 2011 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
I'm also disgusted by a lot of the non-constructive negative comments that I see, including
occasionally on this forum.

To me, unfounded positive comments are just as bad.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 18 of 20
12 September 2011 at 1:29am | IP Logged 
Siberiano wrote:
misslanguages: what do you mean by criticism? It seems that you have a different concept and don't get the message of the talk here. Can you say, what is ok to you to hear:
- "You need to listen to the radio and read books."
- "Your vocab is short, listen to the radio and read books."
- "You have a poor vocabulary."
- "You sound stupid, your vocabulary is too short."
- "I don't understand you and you sound stupid."

Which of these statements one can say? (Not meaning to troll :))

Siberiano, I am not the one you asked, but in my book the three first statements are o.k., the two last are not. I think you can go a long way in giving both positive and negative criticism, as long as you stay polite. I agree with Torbyrne, that people who are selling a product open themselves up for more criticism, but even in those cases I see no need to say hurtful things.

At the risk of sounding naive, I would wish that we all would comment on Youtube and in here, like we would to a friend. Honestly, but wording negative criticism carefully in order not to hurt their feelings. That people behave as brutes on Youtube doesn't mean that we have to.
3 persons have voted this message useful

portunhol
Triglot
United States
thelinguistblogger.w
Joined 6048 days ago

198 posts - 299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (classical)

Message 19 of 20
12 September 2011 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
Siberiano wrote:
misslanguages: what do you mean by criticism? It seems that you have a different concept and don't get the message of the talk here. Can you say, what is ok to you to hear:
- "You need to listen to the radio and read books."
- "Your vocab is short, listen to the radio and read books."
- "You have a poor vocabulary."
- "You sound stupid, your vocabulary is too short."
- "I don't understand you and you sound stupid."

Which of these statements one can say? (Not meaning to troll :))

"I don't understand you and you sound stupid." may be quick and to the point but it is also offensive. People become defensive instead of open to influence. If someone were to say something like that to you, would you're reaction be, "Huh, I never thought of it that way. Maybe I do sound stupid! I'd better go listen to the radio like that guy said."?

Saying something like, "You know, I've been listening to you speak language X and I can tell you really like it. I have a tip that can help you sound more natural/native-like/professional/help take you to the next level, etc. Would you mind if I shared it with you?" is much more likely to be accepted by the other person than a quick, cutting remark.
1 person has voted this message useful

egill
Diglot
United States
Joined 5492 days ago

418 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 20 of 20
12 September 2011 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
I think a lot of this hinges on what one considers criticism. Sometimes people also
conflate negative criticism ("that's the wrong ending") with negative tone in criticism
("that's the wrong ending, dumbass").

I'd say that having a positive tone is always appropriate, but that it shouldn't hinder
useful negative criticism, which is far more useful than positive criticism. The latter
is nice as it can reinforce correct behavior (not to mention ego boosting), but all too
often is vacuous—borne from politeness rather than sincerity. The former can be hurtful,
but is usually a legitimate complaint, and therefore useful.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version