Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6363 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 9 of 23
27 April 2011 at 8:02am | IP Logged 
This scares the hell out of me and is a major reason I don't dare to take on Japanese. Give me tones and thousands of characters in multiple variants. Give me declensions and conjugations, inflections and prepositional verbs. Give me archaic vocabulary and impossible slang. I'll take them all on gladly. But politeness levels? I'll run away scared. I've grown up with a very informal view of life. At home I wouldn't dream of calling someone "Sir" or "Mister" or "Ma'am" or using someone's last name, including the Prime Minister himself if I met him. I have no sense of these things, which means I'm really scared of being impolite in foreign company. It was sometimes a problem in China and in Japan I suspect I'd be petrified.
1 person has voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6053 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 10 of 23
27 April 2011 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
Marc Frisch wrote:
William Camden wrote:
Feynman may have found Japanese, like many
natural languages, to be illogical, and become frustrated with it.

He seems to have successfully learned
Portuguese though.

While I don't want to renew the debate repeatedly aired on this forum about the
difficulty of particular languages, Japanese is usually considered a contender for the
title of "most difficult language". If Feynman made real headway with Portuguese but gave
up with Japanese, it could merely reflect the relative difficulty of these languages for
English speakers.

w1n73rmu7e
United States
Joined 5721 days ago

31 posts - 46 votes

Message 11 of 23
27 April 2011 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
ericspinelli wrote:
Japanese children master the plain language first and must be explicitly taught many of the polite forms. I see no reason not to do the same with foreign learners.
The main reason for teaching foreigners the distal style equivalents before the casual style ones is a practical one - as adults, we will be expected to communicate with other adults in a polite manner. It's better to err on the side off too polite than on the side of too informal. Children don't have this problem, as they aren't expected by society to know polite speech yet.

William Camden wrote:
Japanese is usually considered a contender for the
title of "most difficult language".
I don't think you can define an absolute "most difficult language", even when only considering native English speakers who are learning their first foreign language, for instance. Different foreign languages pose different obstacles, so the difficulty of a particular language depends on the individual learner.

For example, I find Japanese to be very easy. I don't mind the complex grammar or the nightmarish writing system, because I find those sorts of things easy to learn. But if I were to try to learn Chinese, I would be completely lost, as my ability to learn to say new sounds is very poor. So for me, Japanese is much easier than Chinese. But there are definitely a lot of people who are the exact opposite.

Edited by w1n73rmu7e on 27 April 2011 at 2:50pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5126 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 12 of 23
27 April 2011 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
Seems to me the developer of QED and renormalization should be the last one to be bothered by apparent inconsistencies that nonetheless work very well in practice.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6220 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 13 of 23
27 April 2011 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
Seems to me the developer of QED and renormalization should be the last one to be bothered by apparent inconsistencies that nonetheless work very well in practice.

Physicists are generally the last people one expects to take seemingly-needless complications well, much less when such complications are related to social formality levels.
3 persons have voted this message useful

furrykef
United States
furrykef.com/
Joined 6253 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 14 of 23
28 April 2011 at 7:10am | IP Logged 
I had to smile when I saw this thread, because I was similarly intrigued when I read "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!".

Although we can only speculate on what Feynman's actual experience was, and what particular thing he found difficult -- he himself was only going by memory years after the fact, I'm sure -- I do think he made the right choice in thinking that Japanese was not for him. Feynman often exhibited little patience for formality, a topic that comes up in various forms in his discussions. For example, he often mentioned a lesson he learned from his father, that a man in street clothing and a man in a uniform is still the same man. He talked about how he could talk with great physicists like Niels Bohr, and at first he was starstruck, but as soon as they actually discussed physics, Feynman would forget who he was talking to and always interject with things like, "No, you're crazy, what really happens is..." -- a tendency that could well get him in trouble if he carried it over to Japanese and didn't take care to express himself in the "proper" way. In other words, if the Japanese language didn't get to him, Japanese society probably would.

I myself have similar issues -- but I find I become almost a different person when it comes to Japanese culture. I dunno why, I just find it easier to accept formalities when I view it in the context of Japanese culture than in the context of American culture. I'd probably still never make it in Japan, though... I'd still be too likely to do something socially horrific like tell off my boss. :P

2 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6053 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 15 of 23
28 April 2011 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 
It was probably as much a cultural as a linguistic problem for Feynman.

Years ago I saw a French film, Stupeur et tremblements, based on a reportedly true story of a French or Belgian woman who speaks Japanese and goes to work for a Tokyo firm. Despite knowing the language, she commits all sorts of cultural faux pas in terms of Japanese society and ends up being assigned as a toilet attendant in the office building. I have to say the film did not present Japanese society in a very flattering light, although I had trouble believing that the main character, who supposedly learned Japanese from living in the country as a child, would be as socially clueless as she was.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6220 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 16 of 23
28 April 2011 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
William Camden wrote:
It was probably as much a cultural as a linguistic problem for Feynman.

Years ago I saw a French film, Stupeur et tremblements, based on a reportedly true story of a French or Belgian woman who speaks Japanese and goes to work for a Tokyo firm. Despite knowing the language, she commits all sorts of cultural faux pas in terms of Japanese society and ends up being assigned as a toilet attendant in the office building. I have to say the film did not present Japanese society in a very flattering light, although I had trouble believing that the main character, who supposedly learned Japanese from living in the country as a child, would be as socially clueless as she was.

She left the country at 5, so it actually does make sense. She's Belgian.

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version