Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6438 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 1 of 46
24 April 2011 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
I haven't been active on this forum for ages and ages, but as I am starting a new project I thought it would be a good idea to create an old-fashioned language learning log. I am taking a class on Slavic language history, and I will continue with old Slavic texts when I begin my Master studies in the fall. At least I hope so. Anyway, I want to learn to read Old Church Slavonic more or less fluently, and as I plan on learning more Slavic languages in the future I think it will also be useful for that purpose.

The text I am reading right now (in class) is an extract from Повесть временных лет, which my teacher referred to as "more or less old church Slavonic". Since I don't plan on actually writing anything in this language, the minute details don't really matter all that much. But the kind of texts that primarily interest me are, naturally, not religious things (even though it can be fun), but old chronicles.

So! The materials I am using are the following:

A Norwegian booklet of texts from chronicles with vocabularies (from my university)
Церковнославянский язык by Татьяна Миронова (tutorial)
A dictionary ;)
Старославянский язык by Ремнева (more like grammar book)
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Church_Slavonic_grammar
(I write more about these things and have some photos on my blog)

---

So far, I haven't actually learned all that much :-) I am going through the grammar to see in what ways it differs from Russian, and naturally, the past tense is the most foreign part so far. When I see a form of a verb that is conjugated according to person, I immediately think present tense or future tense. It will take some getting used to in order to recognize these forms as past tense. I also discovered that for example reshti has two aorist forms, rechъ and rekochъ. Today I am just going to continue reading Церковнославянский язык.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Haukilahti
Triglot
Groupie
Finland
Joined 4724 days ago

94 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Polish

Message 2 of 46
24 April 2011 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with your log! I intend to study, if not learn, that language myself... one day.
1 person has voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5224 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 3 of 46
24 April 2011 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
This reminds me of my course in Comparative Slavonic Philology at university. In the
first year of the course we learned about all the obscure Slavonic languages like
Kashubian and Upper and Lower Sorbian, which, for a language geek like myself, was
heaven. Then in the second year our teacher took a sabbatical and we got a big scary
female Russian professor who forced us to read and decipher Old Church Slavonic texts
every week. I was the worst in the class and hated it so much!

I am looking forward to reading your log - I hope you get further than I did!

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6438 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 4 of 46
24 April 2011 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
This is funny, when I came back to the forum, your log was the first one I noticed!

"We got a big scary female Russian professor" I love this :D This is not the first time I have heard of scary female Russian academians! I happen to have a somewhat old-fashioned professor as well, who can be a bit intimidating - he will make comments on you if you haven't learned your lesson. But since I'm going way beyond my lessons, I think I will be fine ;)

I think we have a class of the sort you mentioned, only it's at Masters level, and I will most likely be taking it soon. With the same professor. I hope it will be interesting!

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6438 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 6 of 46
25 April 2011 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Kuikentje!

---

I have read approximately 250 out of 300 pages of Церковнославянский язык. I mostly just browse through it, reading the explanatory texts to get an overview, and note down things that are truly essential in my notebook. I have also printed paradigms and glued them into my book. I went through the parts on participles especially fast since I consider them to be somewhat less important right now. And who likes participles anyway?

I got stuck on one thing, составное именное сказуемое. I'm guessing I will figure it out sooner or later, but sometimes it isn't all that easy to understand explanations as examples are given in OCS, without any translation. Occasionally you get a translation, but I don't really understand why, because sometimes when you get them it's for the most obvious sentences...

I'm not really sure how much time I will be able to dedicate to this in the following month since I have to start another eight page essay related to my class on democracy, something that includes reading two books... and then I start working full-time as soon as classes are over, but naturally before exams, so I'm guessing I will be quite busy until the seventh of June.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6463 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 46
26 April 2011 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
Maybe you can find something in Old Church Slavonic about the governmental system of old Novgorod, which without being a modern democracy had some democratic aspects.
2 persons have voted this message useful

rahdonit
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
Ukraine
Joined 6374 days ago

50 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, Ukrainian*, English, German

Message 8 of 46
26 April 2011 at 9:42am | IP Logged 
I will be following your blog with big interest.

I would like to recommend to you some sites

http://litopys.org.ua/
Among other things it contains a lot of old Ukrainian literature, some of it is in Old Ukrainian, some works are translations into modern Ukrainian, there are also parallel texts. A parallel text of Повесть временных лет (the original and modern Ukrainian) can be found here - http://izbornyk.org.ua/pvlyar/yar.htm

http://gramoty.ru/
Old Russian documents from Novgorod written on elm's bark

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version