Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
1702 messages over 213 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 212 213
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5043 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 1697 of 1702
02 December 2015 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
I hope when you move to Japan, you will continue to keep us updated. I miss you at the new forum
3 persons have voted this message useful

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4965 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 1698 of 1702
29 January 2016 at 6:17am | IP Logged 
Well it's been forever since I updated. I actually made a journal on that new forum but it didn't seem anyone
was reading it so I ended up just continuing to post here. But that site is mobile friendly and I'm using my
phone much more than my laptop.

I apologize for the lengthy absence. I guess being in Japan and living in a share house I just don't have the
motivation to write about learning Japanese that I did in the States. I mean there, I had nobody to talk to
regarding languages and stuff buy it's pretty much the exact opposite here. I can't say that life is too exciting
for me though even if just being in Japan makes it seem interesting. Typing with thumbs is getting annoying
lol. I'm going to head upstairs to finish this entry.
1 person has voted this message useful

kraemder
Joined 4965 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 

Message 1699 of 1702
29 January 2016 at 7:38am | IP Logged 
Ok a proper keyboard is nice for typing out longer text. I haven't done much long text typing since getting to Japan. I
got here and had the first month or so off without any school or plans and was thinking I would just study lots of
Japanese and get awesome at Japanese (as much as possible). It didn't work out as well as I would have liked. I
suppose there were a couple of reasons. While I like the room that I'm staying in, it's not as nice as my old apartment in
Tucson. I had a lot of room there, several big monitors, a huge TV that kicked butt. Basically, it was fantastic for
studying using a computer. And then a big dining room table to study on when I wanted to get serious with a textbook
(not too often but the option was there). Here in the share house, which is like a dormitory really, I have a desk but it's
kind of small. I left my monitors behind and the big screen TV. Using a laptop you can kind of do everything you can on
a proper desktop setup but it's just not as comfortable. I ended up using my phone and iPad instead and I guess they're
just quite as effective study tools for reading Japanese. (I didn't get a lot of reading done.)

I did get a chance to socialize a lot which I didn't do so much in the States. I was pretty much a loner after work (gives
more time for studying =p). Socializing is great but it's awful for studying. I can do some speaking practice. Speaking
practice is wonderful for well speaking but you really don't expand your vocabulary or grammar doing it. Reading is just
too big I think. Plus I'm not in a total immersion environment. Lots of people here want to learn English and I sound
cooler if I mix my Japanese with English so that's what I generally do. It's hard as hell to just speak Japanese anyway.
We have other westerners in the share house also and none of them speak Japanese well enough to really have a
proper conversation.

I guess more than anything i got a lot of sleep. Then school started finally the 2nd week of January. I had signed up for
a class at Tokyo Central Language School. The person who was my contact for registering told me that English wasn't
spoken by all the students the way I described Genki JACS (she hadn't heard of the school) so people had to use
Japanese instead and she thought that was a good thing. I agreed so I enrolled. It helped that it was about 1/3 the
price of Genki JACS too. Well that wasn't the case. It might be the case for the lower Japanese levels but not the upper
levels, and definitely not the class I ended up in. They have a rigerous placement test at this school. It took all
afternoon from 1 PM until 5:30 PM. They start it off with writing the hiragana and katakana alphabets and then moving
onto grammar / vocabulary / kanji / reading / listening questions. It ends with an interview. I would say it's more
thorough than the JLPT which has no interview and requires no ability to write kanji. But also a waste of time. I know
my level pretty well and could have just looked at material for each class and picked my class. But that's not how things
get done so I suffered through the placement test.

There were people who obviously shouldn't even be taking the placement test - they couldn't understand the most
basic Japanese instructions and the teachers had to resort to speaking foreign languages to say anything to them. I
was impressed with the variety of languages being spoken by the teachers: I heard Chinese, French, English, and some
others. Since the placement test got progressively harder, the students had the option to just say this was their limit,
pass it in, and go do the interview and be done. It gets tempting to do even if you think maybe you can keep going a bit
more.

The students that clearly spoke no Japanese lasted longer than I expected but they were obviously the first to be done
and just leave.   I kept going and when I was hopeful that it was done they said that there would be a break and then
people had the option to continue and do an even more difficult test. From the grammar I had just looked at I would
guesstimate it to be about N5/4/ and maybe some N3 grammar.   But I was already tired. I wanted to do an N2 class
because even though I've studied some N2 and N1 grammar I know I have some gaps with possibly even some N3 stuff.
Did what I had already done qualify me to take an N2 level class? I was thinking maybe not. I had forgotten how to
write a couple hiragana and katakana O.o. Obviously reading them would be ok but I hadn't written Japanese in ages. I
had crammed some kanji the past couple weeks but no kana at all. And although I could read all of the kanji they tested
me on, they tested on writing kanji too and I only remembered some of them. This isn't RTK style testing, they give you
Japanese and you have to SPELL, not just remember how to draw a single character.

So I stayed for the harder test. A girl behind me spoke English to me and told me I was they only person who stayed
that wasn't Chinese. The teacher passing it out teased us about being really confident in our Japanese language
abilities. The test was hard as expected but I figured I'd regret it if I didn't do my best. I could read almost all of the
kanji and give the furigana but was only able to write a couple of kanji when they tested the other way. My ability to
write hiragana was getting better as the test went on. The grammar seemed to be a mix of N2 and N1. I've never taken
an N1 test of any kind, just looked at the grammar a bit and made some flashcards for stuff that looked useful to mix in
with my N2 stuff. I don't really know how I did but I know I got some of it right. A lot less than on the previous test
though. The reading section was really challenging. I did most of it but 15 minutes before the time limit I just decided
the heck with it. I was exhausted and would likely have to guess for questions and it didn't make sense to guess for
questions when the idea is to get an accurate placement for my class. I just passed it in and headed for the interview.

The interview was pretty short. I just sat down and spoke Japanese with a friendly young female teacher. She quickly
said she was more than satisfied with my speaking ability and asked me a bit about the test I just took. I explained that I
had no problem reading the Japanese but it had been so long since I had written it that I struggled a bit with kana, and
definitely with kanji. She seemed concerned about that. I said that it was coming back quickly and that I definitely
didn't want to be in a class with easy grammar/vocab just to improve my ability to write by hand. She agreed. She said I
would take a class in the morning instead of the afternoon. At this school they have the more advanced classes in the
morning, and the beginner type classes in the afternoon. I think that was the whole purpose of the interview. And I
think it automatically placed me into an N2 class. If I had know that I would have quit much sooner!

I came to class the following week. No western faces in the class. The teacher introduced me and it seems that
everyone had been in this class together at least for the previous term (semester). I was the only new person. And they
all were Chinese. Just like per the placement test, the non kanji background people's Japanese hadn't reached a high
intermediate level. We did introductions and the whole class seemed astonished that I could give a lengthy introduction
in Japanese. They all gave really brief introductions. I still can't say if that's because it's all they could do or if it's just
all they wanted to do. The class officially used the textbook 中級から学ぶ and they were about halfway into it. We did a
listening exercise and I figured I got about 80% of what was said. Nobody else did though. I raised my hand for 50%
instead not wanting to stick out. We went through the material. I was definitely learning although the text itself seemed
a little easier than I would have liked.

I've been going to the class for almost three weeks now. I still can't really say for sure what everyone else's Japanese
level is. But I would say some are probably better than me and I'm better than others. I do think my speaking is more
advanced than others if only because I force myself to use as much grammar as I can when I talk and I'm not at all shy
about speaking Japanese. I think others are more shy. I know I am probably not saying stuff the way a native speaker
would but I figure they'll understand and they generally do. Most people in the class took the JLPT in December and
the teacher somehow got the test results for the whole class and announced it to the class a couple days ago. Maybe
the school is a testing center? I don't know. There was one student in the class who attempted the N1. He didn't pass
(no idea if he passed the N2 previously or is just skipping it). The rest took the N2 and most passed it. One got a pretty
high score too although most were just above passing and didn't have huge amounts of breathing room. This really
surprised me because in class they're teaching grammar not like it's review but like the class hasn't seen it. And in
addition to the 中級から学ぶ book we're using 耳から覚える文法N2 and starting with chapter 1. The latter book isn't an
official textbook - I just recognized the sentences because I have the book and went through chapters one and two on
my own a while ago. (about a year ago? more?). It also surprised me because the class doesn't know vocabulary that I
think is -really- basic. Like 散らかる. The teacher went through a big explanation of this word because they didn't know
it. I've known this one for years... I mean.. at some point you want to know how to say that your room is a mess.

I know being Chinese gives them a unique advantage over westerners due to the kanji but it's hard to say how this
translates to the JLPT. Some students did well with grammar, others did well with the listening. I don't think anyone
aced the reading section although the person with the highest score couldn't have done too badly at it. In class
students generally can write an essay pretty damn well and quickly while I'm struggling because I have to verify kanji by
typing it on my phone. I'm noticing the progress in my ability to write by hand but it would take a lot of work to catch up
to where these Chinese students already are right now. But while they can write and 'spell' kanji in words very well, they
have a lot of the same issues that westerners do when it comes to reading out loud: they know the meaning but don't
remember the Japanese pronunciation of the kanji. Especially if it's a kun reading as opposed to an on reading. They
do find words with on style pronunciations a bit easier it seems, but when reading they often say the Chinese
pronunciation instead of the Japanese.

So the class is pretty good for me in terms of the level. We're speeding through 耳から覚える at the rate of about once
chapter a week. We don't do it every day because they alternate between two teachers every day and only one teacher
is using the book. But she'll go through explaining a grammar in say 10 minutes and then it's on to the next. I don't
know how quickly other people's classes go through grammar but this is about 3x faster than I've done in a class
before. After three weeks we've done three chapters in the book and will be starting chapter 4 soon. If I didn't have a
background including some self study of N2 material I'd be against the wall and asking to go back to an easier class.
Probably to an easier school that just goes slower. But I do have the background so it's a good pace for me.

Regarding what I was told about students using Japanese with each other. It's absolutely no the case. As you would
guess from a class where everyone's native language is Chinese, they speak Chinese. They try to speak Japanese to
me a bit but it's not very effective. We can communicate but they're not fluent really and I struggle to understand them
even. Likewise, they have difficulty understanding me too. I'm just not used to a Chinese accent - or they are mixing
Chinese with their Japanese a bit perhaps. I can easily have a conversation with a Japanese person however or a
westerner speaking Japanese even if it's not very well. I can't help thinking it's that they're mixing Chinese into their
Japanese although I can't really verify that.

kraemder
Joined 4965 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 

Message 1700 of 1702
29 January 2016 at 7:59am | IP Logged 
I'm just going to touch briefly on how I'm doing my personal studying. Initially, I was using the Japanese for iOS app to
study. It's the most convenient for adding words. I can look up stuff that's useful on my phone anywhere and save it for
studying and it's in the app's SRS flashcard system. Being in the country and seeing words on signs or on menus or
while having conversations this is a big deal. But I decided this wasn't as effective as it could be because the SRS
system has some limitations. If you get behind on your reviews it forces you to review EVERY due card before repeating
a missed card so being behind sucks that much more. It has no audio and no example sentences except as provided by
the www.JISHO.org website. But you can add notes to cards so that helps. Anyway, I decided to try Midori instead. I
was liking Midori a lot because it does a better job of reviewing cards if you have a lot to review. It doesn't force you to
review every due card before repeating a missed review card. You can be behind and do some reviewing and feel like
you accomplished something even if you didn't finish everything that was due. Also, you can put a vocabulary into two
or three folders. This lets you setup separate decks to test you using English/kanji/kana and separate statistics. It was
good for a bit but it also has no example sentences really, or audio.

So I'm now using Flashcards Deluxe. I like it better than anki although I like both. I have FCD setup with Rikai same so
rikai same saves the audio to my dropbox folder on my computer and added the vocabulary and example sentences
etc. Adding new vocabulary with audio and sentences is super easy from an etext in Firefox. It's kind of less easy if I
have a list of vocabulary or am using a paper text though. I can search google or something for an example sentence to
include on the card. It gets slow though finding a sentence that I want to use. I am reading a paperback right now and
am accumulating a lot of words I would like to review but I'm debating if I want to add vocab to my deck without
sentences. Regardless, one thing I like about FCD is it lets me flag cards. I can then review those flagged cards again,
separately. For my regular SRS I'm testing myself with the word written in kanji. For words I want to do extra review on
I'm doing closed delete with English definitions. The extra review is not SRS based but a sort of Leitner algorithm that
SRS has available. It's an ok algorithm that's good for this purpose but not good enough to replace regular SRS
(unfortunately). And I can just listen to the app play the audio of the flagged vocab for me too. I like this for new words
and stuff that doesn't seem to want to stick. It kind of solves the issue for me where passive testing doesn't seem to
drill it into my head well enough but active SRS is just too hard after an interval of a few days when you're studying a
deck of hundreds or thousands of vocabulary.

I'm really good about watching movies/anime without subs now. I have more motivation. It's still annoying that some
anime I can't seem to find w/o hard English subs but improving my Japanese is too important for me now to slack and
use English subs. I will say that I have found myself being a different kind of lazy though. I can follow the plot well
enough picking up about half the Japanese. What I should do though is strive to understand as much as I can to
increase my vocabulary as much as I can. But I am sometimes just content with the 50% and take what I understand
easily and don't really try to understand more.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4446 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 1701 of 1702
30 January 2016 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
kraemder wrote:
A girl behind me spoke English to me and told me I was they only person who stayed that wasn't Chinese.

Long time no hear!

Sounds like the Japanese experience is going really well for you. You are clearly getting something very useful out of the class.

kraemder wrote:
Like 散らかる. The teacher went through a big explanation of this word because they didn't know
it. I've known this one for years... I mean.. at some point you want to know how to say that your room is a mess.

Funnily enough that one is one I've been struggling with in Anki right now. I have a feeling I'm going to remember it now :-)

kraemder
Joined 4965 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 

Message 1702 of 1702
31 January 2016 at 2:39am | IP Logged 
Yeah the class is helping my Japanese. It's just a bummer I can't really make friends with people. Yes,
remember 散らかる or you will be judged ;p.

This discussion contains 1702 messages over 213 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version