Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
12 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
matthewmathieu
United States
Joined 4905 days ago

14 posts - 19 votes

Message 1 of 12
25 April 2011 at 4:54am | IP Logged 
I've read mixed reviews on Amazon.fr for Le nouveau grec sans peine. Has anyone here used it, and if so, is it
recommendable? I have used Assimil for five or six languages and the courses have all been wonderful, but I'd like
to find out more about the Greek course before spending the money. I appreciate your feedback.

Best,
Mathieu
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6255 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 2 of 12
25 April 2011 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 
I have used it and liked it. I knew some Greek beforehand though, so most of it was
review for me.

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5907 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 3 of 12
25 April 2011 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
I haven't used it but you may want to check out this free course which I have used and really like:

http://www.kypros.org/LearnGreek/

I did about half of it before getting pulled off on other more important (at least for me) language pursuits but I definitely plan on going back to complete it in the near future as it really builds your skills in the language in a nice progressive manner.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Luk
Triglot
Groupie
Argentina
Joined 5120 days ago

91 posts - 127 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French
Studies: Italian, German, Mandarin, Greek

Message 4 of 12
26 August 2011 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
I bought it recently and so far so good. I really enjoy the Assimil method.

One thing I'm doing is, every 7 lessons, I try to do the second wave, so it'll stick better.
2 persons have voted this message useful

shadad
Pentaglot
VenezuelaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6442 days ago

38 posts - 41 votes
3 sounds
Studies: Arabic (Levantine), Spanish*, English, French, Italian, Portuguese
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, German

Message 5 of 12
05 September 2011 at 7:50am | IP Logged 
I'm using it. I'm on the 34th lesson. It's not really "sans peine" but it's quite
effective and so full of content that I do believe it takes you to B2, if you survive the
whole book.

Steffen
Germany
Joined 4756 days ago

27 posts - 63 votes 
Studies: German*

Message 6 of 12
13 September 2011 at 11:51am | IP Logged 
I am currently using this course (the German edition) and must admit that I am really underwhelmed. If
you are a connoisseur of elaborated grammar lingo and meaningless example sentences, this might be
your cup of tea, but otherwise I strongly advise against this course. It strikes me as remarkably dull and
unimaginative.

I should mention though that I have not gone very far into it. I am completely new to Greek and by now
have reached lesson six - within three weeks of daily practice. The progression seems somewhat
dubious. For example, lesson 44 consists of 24 sentences, whereas lesson 58 consists of only 6 (slightly
longer) sentences.

The course has not stimulated any enthusiasm in me, on the contrary, I had to struggle to keep up my
initial enthusiasm for the Greek language and culture. I am not new to the Assimil method, and this
course is neither as light-hearted nor sophisticated nor witty than any of the other six or eight courses I
have come across.

However, the worst thing is that Assimil seems to distrust its own methodology here, namely to teach
grammar and vocabulary in the context of lively and meaningful sentences. Here is a rough translation of
the first sentences of lesson six:

1. The person is there, I can see him/her. I can see the person.
2. The people are there, I can see them. I can see the people.
3. The door is closed, I am opening it. I am opening the door.
4. The doors are closed, I am opening them. I am opening the doors.
5. The window is open, I am closing it. I am closing the window.
6. The windows are open, I am closing them. I am closing the windows.

There are, of course, grammatical points to illustrate, but I doubt that they can't be taught in a more
stimulating context. This is surely not the kind of "lively dialogue" which you buy an Assimil course for.   

Edited by Steffen on 13 September 2011 at 12:24pm

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5568 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 7 of 12
13 September 2011 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
Steffen wrote:

However, the worst thing is that Assimil seems to distrust its own methodology here,
namely to teach
grammar and vocabulary in the context of lively and meaningful sentences. Here is a
rough translation of
the first sentences of lesson six:

1. The person is there, I can see him/her. I can see the person.
2. The people are there, I can see them. I can see the people.
3. The door is closed, I am opening it. I am opening the door.
4. The doors are closed, I am opening them. I am opening the doors.
5. The window is open, I am closing it. I am closing the window.
6. The windows are open, I am closing them. I am closing the windows.

There are, of course, grammatical points to illustrate, but I doubt that they can't be
taught in a more
stimulating context. This is surely not the kind of "lively dialogue" which you buy an
Assimil course for.   

That's very disappointing, I want to learn Greek some time in the future. I wonder if
there might be an earlier (and better) edition with French as a base language (by the
time I get to Greek I should have learnt French). Have any Francophones got a copy of
an older edition that they can compare with what Steffen wrote above?

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6255 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 8 of 12
13 September 2011 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
I liked Assimil Greek and I think it's one of their better books - but then, I already
knew enough Greek to skip the first 20 lessons or so and recognize a lot from the others
as well. That lesson he quoted is the only one like that and I was astonished by it, too.
The rest are usual Assimil quality.

You shouldn't spend so much time on each lesson. Part of the Assimil method is that you
move on quickly no matter what, because future lessons (and of course the summary after
every 7 lessons) will clarify things.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 13 September 2011 at 8:47pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version