Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6342 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 1 of 2
26 April 2011 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
Studying Mandarin? Enable a Slovak keyboard on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. It will allow you to write beautiful
pinyin without numbers (useful for when you're creating flashcards on the go, for example), since Slovak contains
all the little diacritics. No more "wô" and "ni3"!

(Ironically, I'm writing this on my compurter, so I have no convenient way of giving you an example.)

Yes, I went through most of the international keyboards on my phone to find this out. Thought I'd save others the
trouble.
4 persons have voted this message useful

tibbles
Diglot
United States
Joined 4951 days ago

245 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean

Message 2 of 2
28 April 2011 at 9:16am | IP Logged 
Nice find. I have owned an ipod touch for 2 years now and only recently discovered that I could access the accented vowels by "holding down" the vowel when typing. Before that I was at my wits' end on how to properly enter Spanish text. With only English, Spanish, and Italian enabled, that pesky twiddle for representing the 3rd tone wasn't available for e, o, or u. But like you said, adding the Slovak keyboard did the trick!
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version