EricaRC
United States
Joined 4764 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 6
28 April 2011 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
How hard is it to learn spoken Persian/Farsi, for somwone who speaks English and French? How long will it take to reach fluency?

What are some good resources to use to teach myself?

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6225 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 6
28 April 2011 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
EricaRC wrote:
How hard is it to learn spoken Persian/Farsi, for somwone who speaks English and French? How long will it take to reach fluency?

What are some good resources to use to teach myself?

The Assimil course is fairly decent. There are also a number of good Persian readers from various publishers once you get more advanced; a lot of them are hard to get, but there are enough options that you will be able to find something. Persian music is also readily available online (and I don't mean pirated music). This forum also has quite a lot of threads that mention useful resources for learning Persian.

How hard is it to learn? Hard to say - how hard is any language to learn? The overall grammar is fairly simple, for a natural language, though there are tricky subtleties in literary language. The phonetic system will be quite straightforward. Vocabulary will be almost all new to you - don't expect to have anywhere near as many similarities as you find between English and French.

How long will it take to reach fluency? Depends on what you do. Months or years, like any other language.

tbone
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4777 days ago

92 posts - 132 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 3 of 6
28 April 2011 at 6:55am | IP Logged 
I'm also in the process of rounding up stuff for a try at spoken Persian.

Wikiversity has a roundup of stuff available on the web, including the easypersian.com website:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Persian/Websites
3 persons have voted this message useful

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6735 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 4 of 6
28 April 2011 at 11:48am | IP Logged 
tbone wrote:
I'm also in the process of rounding up stuff for a try at spoken
Persian.

Wikiversity has a roundup of stuff available on the web, including the easypersian.com

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Persian/Websites

I'd like to comment on two of the resources listed here:

easypersian.com, unfortunately, is not very good for spoken Persian. The focus is on
written Persian, and he doesn't introduce the spoken equivalents. Also, I don't find
the lessons to be very well organized: rather obscure vocabulary (like "to burst a
balloon") is introduced before simpler and more useful vocabulary, and the lessons are
very heavily grammar-focused so that you'll have several lessons explaining the
mechanics of how to make a sentence but no explanation of how to say "how are you?" or
"I'm from ---" or "how much is this?" or anything else that is generally taught to
beginners. Think of it as a manual to Persian grammar with a lot of isolated example
sentences.

The Iraj Bashiri course focuses on spoken Persian, so I was able to learn a lot of neat
things like "this particle is generally pronounced XX in colloquial speech in the area
around Tehran". The downside to this course, however, is that it apparently has a lot
of outdated language that is sure to get you laughed at (according to a Persian speaker
on the Unilang forum).

Additionally:

Pimsleur has a course which may be available at your local library.

The Assimil course is available only in French. By all accounts it's not bad, but not
one of their best, either. It uses both the Perso-Arabic and Latin alphabets.

The TY and Colloquial courses have low reviews on Amazon.

I've been saving up for a video course called Spider Farsi [spiderfarsi.com] which is
definitely geared toward spoken Persian. It's advertised on the creator's YouTube
channel [farsiyadbegirim]. The course is really expensive and I can't find any reviews
for it on this forum or on the web, but I enjoyed his YouTube lessons very much
(especially those on writing the alphabet) and his course seems to cover everything I
want to know. If I end up buying it, I'll write a full review here.

Finally, Living Languages makes a course (text + audio) called Spoken World Farsi,
which seems to be popular and dialogue-driven, but which reviewers on Amazon say is
difficult and not very good for learning the alphabet (for some reason, all of the
courses I've come across seem to have this same shortcoming. The letters in print are
very tiny, and like any alphabet, very different from handwriting, so it's a mystery
why they always try to "teach" a letter just by showing it to us in 12 pt font... at
that size, at least to a beginner, they all look the same!)

Edited by Lucky Charms on 28 April 2011 at 11:51am

3 persons have voted this message useful

tbone
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4777 days ago

92 posts - 132 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 5 of 6
28 April 2011 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, that's helpful. I do have the Pimsleur but, as you probably know, they offer Persian only to level I. It'll be a
good start for pronunciation.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version