Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
16 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5929 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 1 of 16
28 April 2011 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
Selamat datang! This will be my log for the upcoming Six Week Challenge beginning in May. I'm being difficult as possible and am refusing to use Twitter, so I've created this separate log instead for tracking purposes.

My chosen language for the challenge will be INDONESIAN .

I chose Indonesian for a few different reasons:
- I've never studied it at all before and know almost nothing about it.
- It's from a completely different language family and is thus entirely new to me.
- It's supposed to be a very easy language to learn while still being exotic.

All of those factors were important, but particularly the last one because I don't anticipate having a huge amount of time that I'll be able to dedicate to a new language as May is the last month of school for me and it will be filled with AP exams, projects, finals, and other school-related activities. The last thing I'd want is to be in the beginning stages of tackling a really difficult language.

Here are the materials which I'm planning to use (so far):
- Teach Yourself Indonesian (old 1992 version)
- Teach Yourself Complete Indonesian
- L'Indonésien Sans Peine
- Linguaphone Kursus Bahasa Indonesia
- Learning Indonesian Podcasts

My current level in the language is characterized by knowing which language family it belongs to (Austronesian!), no more than ten words, and having quickly skimmed a pronunciation guide last night. My goals are not very substantive. I merely want to try out the language and get a feel for it, and hopefully accomplish something without having the pressure of studying the language "formally." Ideally I'd like to study a little bit every day for these six weeks, but if I don't manage that it's not a big deal.

I'll be tracking my progress on here every few days...perhaps twice a week? I'm not making any promises though. I'm also leaving for Greece on May 27th and if past years are anything to judge by, I likely won't have have an Internet connection for at least the first week I'm there. In short, I'll update this log whenever I can and feel motivated to.

With all of that said, the challenge begins on May 1st and semoga beruntung (good luck) to all other participants!

Edited by ellasevia on 30 April 2011 at 1:51am

1 person has voted this message useful

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5122 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 2 of 16
28 April 2011 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
I am heartily jealous of your having the time for Indonesian and will be watching your progress with interest. Good luck!

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5929 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian

Message 3 of 16
28 April 2011 at 5:54am | IP Logged 
I've just purchased L'Indonésien Sans Peine so I hope that it will be arriving soon. I already have Teach Yourself on hand and the podcasts are just there, so I have a backup plan in case it doesn't arrive in time, which is highly likely.

ReneeMona wrote:
I am heartily jealous of your having the time for Indonesian and will be watching your progress with interest. Good luck!

The having time for it part is only hypothetical, so there's no need to become jealous yet. Thank you though! ¡Buena suerte a ti también con tu español!

Élan
United States
Joined 5231 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Persian

Message 4 of 16
28 April 2011 at 6:11am | IP Logged 
Can I join you with Bahasa Malaysia? I'm having a great time with it: I feel like 10 hours of Malay is equal to 10 weeks of Persian.

I'm going to Indonesia in late May/early June, so this is especially great timing for the challenge. I'd be happy to post Malaysia-specific slang that I've learned if anyone is more interested in BM than BI.

Have a great time in Greece and semoga berjaya with the challenge!

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5929 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 

Message 5 of 16
30 April 2011 at 3:45am | IP Logged 
Well, I figured that I should just take advantage of my high motivation for Indonesian at present to cheat and start the challenge early. So that's what I did.

SIX WEEK INDONESIAN CHALLENGE
Day: 1
New Study Time: 77 minutes
Total Study Time: 77 minutes (1 hr, 17 min)
Average Study Time: 77 minutes/day

Selamat malam! So I have officially begun to study Indonesian. My first impressions of the language are the following:
- "That sounds 'jungly' and mysterious."
- "Whoa, look at all the ng's all over the place!"
- "Well this is easy."
- "Look! A word from Portuguese! And Dutch! And English! And Arabic!"

Today I started off my Indonesian studies by listening to episode #1 of Learning Indonesian in which I learned different greetings (selamat pagi/siang/sore/malam). Based solely on the first lesson, I like this series, but I hope that the pace will accelerate as the lessons progress. I love the music they chose for it though. :)

I studied the first lesson of TY Indonesian which was very short and to the point, almost too much so. Within that lesson I learned about the omission of the verb 'to be' (like Russian); that verbs do not change for different persons, numbers, and tenses; the words ini (this) and itu (that) which correspond somewhat to definite articles; a handful of new words and sentences using them. So far my favorite words in Indonesian I found in this lesson: menggonggong (to bark), menggoreng (to fry), membunuh (to kill), anjing (dog), and kucing (cat).

I then started on the first lesson of the newer TY Complete Indonesian, which I, er, acquired along with Linguaphone's Indonesian course. This was much slower (in a good way) and had some very interesting descriptions of the structure of Indonesian at the beginning. I got partway through this lesson before deciding abruptly that I had finished for today. More tomorrow. :)

I also noticed on the email confirmation that I got from Amazon.fr that it could take up until May 26th for my hard copy of Assimil to arrive. That is far too long to wait and cutting it dangerously close to my departure for Greece, so I decided that since I've already bought it, downloading it can't be such a crime. Unfortunately I couldn't find it anywhere, so if anyone knows of somewhere it can be found, I'd greatly appreciate that. Until then, I'll have to satisfy myself with my other materials and the YouTube video I found which shows the first lesson of Assimil (yes, I'm that desperate).

I think that's all for now. Élan, of course we can be partners with our respective forms of Bahasa Melayu! In fact I had that in mind when I chose Indonesian, that since you're studying Malay we can compare the two and see how different they are. I'm excited to see if I agree with you about 10 hours of Malay/Indonesian equaling 10 weeks of Persian, because if it's true then Indonesia will be even easier than I expected, since Persian isn't exactly a difficult language either. Have fun in Indonesia and semoga berjaya to you too!

EDIT: Because no matter how many times I read over my posts before I click submit, I'm always going to notice the errors after it's been posted.

Edited by ellasevia on 01 May 2011 at 3:14am

LazyLinguist
United Kingdom
Joined 5390 days ago

105 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 6 of 16
30 April 2011 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
Good Luck Phillip, I always look forward to your updates and am really inspired by your
logs.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5929 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 

Message 7 of 16
01 May 2011 at 3:31am | IP Logged 
SIX WEEK INDONESIAN CHALLENGE
Day: 2
New Study Time: 50 minutes
Total Study Time: 127 minutes (2 hr, 7 min)
Average Study Time: 63.5 minutes/day

Today I was feeling a bit lazy and didn't feel like doing any serious study with a book, so instead I listened to Learning Indonesian Podcasts #2-6 and added the new vocabulary to Anki. Here's my attempt at writing a little bit in Indonesian:

Selamat malam! Apa kabar? Nama saya Philip dan saya dari Amerika. Saya orang Amerika. Saya mau bicara Bahasa Indonesia tapi saya tidak bisa bicara bahasa ini. Saya bisa bicara Bahasa Inggeris, Bahasa Spanyol, Bahasa Perancis, Bahasa Jerman, dan bahasa lain*. Anda bisa bicara Bahasa Jepang? Saya mengerti Bahasa Indonesia sedikit. Bahasa ini sangat mudah. Terima kasih dan selamat tinggal!

* I didn't know how to say "other languages" so I just guessed from the words I do know.

LazyLinguist, terima kasih (thank you) for stopping by!

Edited by ellasevia on 01 May 2011 at 3:34am

2 persons have voted this message useful

getreallanguage
Diglot
Argentina
youtube.com/getreall
Joined 5258 days ago

240 posts - 371 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Italian, Dutch

Message 8 of 16
01 May 2011 at 3:59am | IP Logged 
Parece que te estás divirtiendo como loco. In bocca al lupo! Ik heb ook veel lol met het Nederlands. Veel succes!

Edited by getreallanguage on 01 May 2011 at 3:59am

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version