https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6484 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 10 of 93
03 May 2011 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
I have just uploaded a new video: Case Study.

Tom. 28 years old men. English native speaker, polyglot. He wants to learn Mandarin like a native speaker. He has problems with this goal. He feels very bad. How does he deal with those problems?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7WG0GPMjBk

1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5820 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 11 of 93
03 May 2011 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
Thank you. I always make the same mistake.

This is actually my main criticism of your viewpoint. It is self-evident that indiscriminate "input + output + time" doesn't deal with mistakes, because you, me and everyone else sees the same thing: we keep making the same mistakes over and over again and it takes specific focused work to get rid of them.

And more importantly, "input + output + time" didn't avoid you learning the mistakes in the first place.

The reason I say that we have to discuss specific methods is to make sure we learn the language properly.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6484 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 13 of 93
03 May 2011 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
slucido wrote:

This is actually my main criticism of your viewpoint. It is self-evident that indiscriminate "input + output + time" doesn't deal with mistakes, because you, me and everyone else sees the same thing: we keep making the same mistakes over and over again and it takes specific focused work to get rid of them.

And more importantly, "input + output + time" didn't avoid you learning the mistakes in the first place.

The reason I say that we have to discuss specific methods is to make sure we learn the language properly.

You want to be sure that you learnlanguages properly. You want a guarantee, but unfortunately this doesn't exist.

Here my answer about my (or other people) mistakes and how to avoid them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE_Zx7n-TQY

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5369 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 14 of 93
03 May 2011 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
I enjoyed the first one. Funky graphics. Relaxed style. Have downloaded the others for later consumption.

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5129 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 15 of 93
03 May 2011 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
I have just uploaded a new video: Case Study.

I just listened to your video. Here are my brutally honest comments:

(If you find them too harsh and/or unhelpful, simply ask a moderator to delete my post.)

1. Content:
Everything that you said in this video are IMHO just common sense statements that most people (or at least most polyglots) will eventually figure out on their own.

2. Presentation:
I like the neon colors, but the text is sometimes difficult to read.

I might be a snob when it comes to spoken English, but I found it at times difficult to listen to your English because of the occasional grammar mistakes and mispronunciations. (You may want to ask some native speakers for honest feedback and work on perfecting your pronunciation.)

Since you definitely have some interesting ideas, why don't you create a language learning blog?

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5820 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 16 of 93
03 May 2011 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
slucido wrote:

You want to be sure that you learnlanguages properly. You want a guarantee, but unfortunately this doesn't exist.

Now that's just a strawman.

I didn't say it had to be perfect -- I didn't say anything about guarantees.

BUT...

You can do things better without doing them perfectly. This just requires a bit of thought, and the discussions we have here that you dismiss as being too complicated are our attempt to think about things.

For example, a lot of people have problems with conditional sentences (if... then...). This is something Michel Thomas covers really well in his Spanish course, and it is really easy that way. Meanwhile, other methods have people puzzling for hours over terms like "mixed", "unreal" and "hypothetical".

Why shouldn't we discuss these things?

This discussion contains 93 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version