United Kingdom
Joined 5600 days ago

166 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean, Tok Pisin, French

Message 1 of 24
02 May 2011 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone

I found an interesting book scanned on archive.org today called "A polyglot grammar of
the Hebrew, Chaldee, Syriac, Greek, Latin, English, French, Italian, Spanish, and
German languages, reduced to one common syntax, and an uniform mode of declension and
conjugation as far as practicable" (quite the mouthful) by Samuel Barnard
found here.

It's a completely legal scan as the book is very old (1825).

I thought this looked fascinating so I decided to download it and have a look at the
PDF. Sadly the condition of the scan is quite poor. Certain parts of the book have not
been scanned properly. Also there are some problems in that the book is so old, some of
the grammar presented is quite out-dated. Also I think that the font for the Ancient
Greek and German sections are very difficult to read.

I think this is a bit of shame because I would love to read this book were it eligible.

I had an idea of re-writing the book but this would take a ridiculous amount of time
and as I only know English and Spanish, I wouldn't be able to update any of the work on
it on the other languages.

So I was thinking how about doing a thread or a few threads on a kind of comparative
grammar of languages (any) on this forum? For example, rather than having one massive,
super-thread, a thread could be opened entitled something like "APGC project -
Adjectives" (like page 83 in the book) and people could just put information about the
languages they know regarding the mentioned grammar point in a concise but easy to
understand format (in your own words). Any time a new grammar is added for a language,
the first post would be changed to include it (like in some of the link pages on this
site/language guides) or it could just be left as is.

Another example of what each thread could look like is: [with contributions from users
Volte, Lianne and Ari]

Articles

English
Definite article: an unchanging 'the'
Indefinite Article: a, an. ('an' is placed before nouns that begin with a vowel sound)
No gender change. a/an not used when noun is pluralized (see 'plurals').
Indefinite article not used with uncountable nouns (see 'nouns').

Chinese
Cantonese
Definite article: debated (see post by Ari in thread)
Mandarin
No definite article.

Esperanto
Definite article: an unchanging 'la'.
No indefinite article.

Japanese
No articles in language.

Korean
No articles in language.

Russian
No articles in language. [please confirm]

Spanish
Definite articles: el (masc.), la (fem.)
Plural definite articles: los (masc.), las (fem.) (nouns pluralized)
Indefinite Article: un (masc.), una (fem.)
Plural indefinite article: unos (masc.), unas (fem.) (nouns pluralized) [edit; this
could be wrong. Like I said, bad with meta-language]

Swedish
Definite/Indefinite articles: Agrees with the gender of the noun (2 total genders:
'utrum' and 'neutrum'). Article position determines if they're definite or indefinite.
Ex: "En bil" = "A car", "bilen" = "the car". "Ett papper" = "A paper", "Papperet" =
"The paper".

Toki Pona
No articles in language.

Some simple sentences examples could be added to each language like "I have a book", "I
have 20 books", "Do you have the book?" etc.

Is anyone interested in participating/helping? I'm an English teacher so I have no
problems writing up the English (not great with meta-language though I have to admit)
but like I said I can't do it alone. I think it would be great to see the way that
Swedish and Latin and Japanese and all sorts of languages do superlatives or any
language point in a simple thread on this website and I can't imagine any other website
trying it/being able to do it.

Does anyone want to help/participate?

Update 1: I added the contributions from user Volte, Lianne and Ari to the above
example. Please write any information you have about articles in the languages you know
(Do they have or don't have them? How do they change?).

I was informed by user Chung that initial posts cannot be edited after 10 days unless
you post in certain sub-forums. I will start the first thread (probably with the topic
Alphabet/Orthography) in the "Collaborative Writing" sub-forum in the very near future
and I'll link to it here (while I still can). Future threads/topics will have to go
there as long as the Mods are ok with it.

Future topics: Alphabet/Orthography, Adjectives, Comparatives/Superlatives, Verb-Object
order, Noun-Formation, Pluralization, Question words. Any suggestions for future
topics?

User zyz posted a link to a
much better scan. It still suffers from out-datedness and a (comparative) lack of
languages but it's still a great find and a great guide for this little project here.

Update 2
is the first thread - "Alphabet/Writing System". [having problems with hyperlinks
today]. It's in the "Collaborative Writing" Sub-forum.

Edited by crafedog on 05 May 2011 at 11:09am

1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6938 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 2 of 24
02 May 2011 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
Your proposal sounds quite similar to the list of features on WALS

crafedog
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5600 days ago

166 posts - 337 votes 

Message 3 of 24
02 May 2011 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
Your proposal sounds quite similar to the
list of features on WALS

That's a really interesting website. I'd never seen that before. The French examples
were interesting and so were the German ones. It's a shame that some of the other
examples aren't as good (Arabic and Korean) and it's an even bigger shame that they
seem to have only used Romanisation for quite a few languages. They also don't seem to
have anything for Latin, Sanskrit or Esperanto which is a bit of a shame. I presume
they're just using 'alive' languages and non-constructed ones.

That's a pretty good idea of what I'm hoping to achieve here but a slightly
simpler/less technical version that doesn't limit the number of languages would be
great.

Do you know of any other projects like it?

Thanks for the link.

Edited by crafedog on 02 May 2011 at 8:33pm

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4897 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 4 of 24
02 May 2011 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
I'm afraid I wouldn't have much to contribute, being fluent only in English. However, I'd sure love to read it. And I might have a little contribution here and there.

crafedog
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5600 days ago

166 posts - 337 votes 

Message 5 of 24
02 May 2011 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
Lianne wrote:
I'm afraid I wouldn't have much to contribute, being fluent only
in English. However, I'd sure love to read it. And I might have a little contribution
here and there.

That sounds great. If you want to, you could start us off with any information you have
about the Articles used in German, Esperanto and/or Toki Pona. Gender, pluralization and
any exceptions you know of for them would be great as my knowledge of them is basically
non-existent so I'd love to read anything you could contribute.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6221 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 6 of 24
02 May 2011 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
crafedog wrote:
Lianne wrote:
I'm afraid I wouldn't have much to contribute, being fluent only
in English. However, I'd sure love to read it. And I might have a little contribution
here and there.

That sounds great. If you want to, you could start us off with any information you have
about the Articles used in German, Esperanto and/or Toki Pona. Gender, pluralization and
any exceptions you know of for them would be great as my knowledge of them is basically
non-existent so I'd love to read anything you could contribute.

Esperanto:
no indefinite article. Definite article is an unchanging 'la'.

Gender: There is no grammatical gender. Some word roots are male, unless suffixed with -in (patro = father, patrino = mother); most unmarked words are considered gender-neutral in modern use (instruisto = teacher, probably of unspecified gender; in historical use, male, while a female teacher was instruistino).

Esperanto does have a concept somewhat like grammatical gender (in the sense of noun classes) of 'intrinsic' forms of root words. kombi = to comb, brosi = to brush, yet broso is a brush while a comb is kombilo, as one is 'intrinsically' a noun, and one is 'intrinsically' a verb. Don't get me started on inherent transitivity/intransitivity of verb roots either...

Plurals: Add -j. Specifically, add it to nouns, and any adjectives associated with them. "La verda kuko estas bela" (the green cake is beautiful) and "La verdaj kukoj estas belaj" (the green cakes are beautiful).

Lernu and various grammars cover all of this in more depth.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4897 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 7 of 24
02 May 2011 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
Aw man, I missed my chance to contribute my Esperanto knowledge. :( Oh well, maybe more will come up that I know.

As for toki pona, there are no articles at all! Nor do the nouns have gender. Verbs are not conjugated. All in all it's quite delightful for the language learner who's a bit sick of grammar.

I'm a bit out of practice on my toki pona right now, but I do plan to review the lessons fairly soon, and I'd be interested in contributing more on the subject (as well as Esperanto).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6938 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 8 of 24
02 May 2011 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
crafedog wrote:
Chung wrote:
Your proposal sounds quite similar to the
list of features on WALS

That's a really interesting website. I'd never seen that before. The French examples
were interesting and so were the German ones. It's a shame that some of the other
examples aren't as good (Arabic and Korean) and it's an even bigger shame that they
seem to have only used Romanisation for quite a few languages. They also don't seem to
have anything for Latin, Sanskrit or Esperanto which is a bit of a shame. I presume
they're just using 'alive' languages and non-constructed ones.

That's a pretty good idea of what I'm hoping to achieve here but a slightly
simpler/less technical version that doesn't limit the number of languages would be
great.

Do you know of any other projects like it?

Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately I don't know of anything quite like it, although the internet's potential is quite handy for such work. There are also the etymological databases for various language families that have been compiled collaboratively with several universities, and Rhinospike for gathering recordings of languages.

I think that WALS is a good starting point or model although to make things a little easier for contributors to your project, I think that you should clarify which features you want us to list (I also see your point about making it less technical since I suspect that few on this board would grasp the significance or meaning of whether a language has voicing and gaps in plosive systems). From there, we can fill in the blanks (or consult WALS) and keep the lists consistent. Do you plan on posting the results here? Remember that you can't edit your posts on this forum starting 10 days after the original submission unless you make them in "Language Learning Logs" or "Collaborative Writing". In those sub-forums there are no restrictions to editing your own posts.

I could provide some information for various Eastern European languages if you wish. Just confirm the features that you want to list.

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version