Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
24 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6485 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 24
02 May 2011 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
I don't have time to write such a grammar, but it is an interesting project, and to large extent I base my practical grammar study on comparative principles..

An example: when I do my 'green sheets' with morphology I try always to keep the same sequence of basic cases as I learned in Latin: Nominative, Accusative, Genitive, Dative, Ablative. The Vocative mostly fit above Nominative, and instead of Ablative you find Instrumental and Prepositional/Locative in Russian, in that order. The funny thing is that almost all grammars for Slavic languages I have seen move Accusative past the Genitive, but actually the logical postition is between the Nominative and the Genitive whose forms it often 'borrows'. But even without such unexpected substantiation it is preferable to stick to one order because you then literally can put the sheets beside each other and get one big multilingual table.

The same applies to verbs, pronouns and ther linguistic elements. When I was still studying French in the 70s I actually wrote an article about the structure of subordinate phrases, and I later used this system in a dissertation about korrelative constructions (i.e. those constructions in the Romance languages that derive from the old correlative pronoums: tantus quantus, etc.). If I hadn't been able to fit each and every construction in the languages I knew into this system I would have felt it as a defeat.

Of course there are cases where the structures aren't parallel, not even when taking simplifications in some languages into account. But by basing the descriptions on comparable principles and a shared nomenclature you can get descriptions that makes for easy comparisons between different languages. For historical reasons the words I use are Latin, but this doesn't mean that the descriptions necessarily will be Latin grammar superimposed on languages that don't fit that pattern, as some have feared (with good reason). It is just practical to use words that are in common use across different languages.

Edited by Iversen on 02 May 2011 at 11:21pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

crafedog
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5600 days ago

166 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean, Tok Pisin, French

Message 10 of 24
03 May 2011 at 7:21am | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:

I think that WALS is a good starting point or model although to make things a little
easier for contributors to your project, I think that you should clarify which features
you want us to list (I also see your point about making it less technical since I
suspect that few on this board would grasp the significance or meaning of whether a
language has voicing and gaps in plosive systems). From there, we can fill in the
blanks (or consult WALS) and keep the lists consistent. Do you plan on posting the
results here? Remember that you can't edit your posts on this forum starting 10 days
after the original submission unless you make them in "Language Learning Logs" or
"Collaborative Writing". In those sub-forums there are no restrictions to editing your
own posts.

I could provide some information for various Eastern European languages if you wish.
Just confirm the features that you want to list.

Thanks for the heads up about the not being able to edit your posts after 10 days. I
had no idea about that. I guess I would have to start the threads in the "Collaborative
Writing" sub-forum as long as the Mods don't have a problem with it being there as it's
not a specific language profile project.

Good idea about using WALS as a kind of reference (the Verb-Object group seemed cool).
That and the book I linked should help us get a base-reference/starting
point/blueprint.

I'll try to keep the topics quite simple for now. The first thread I might start in the
sub-forum will be the Alphabet (orthography on pg 43+ in the book). Next might be
Adjectives, then Comparatives/Superlatives, Noun formation, Pluralization, Verb-Object
order etc. I'll stay away from sounds as that can be debatable/very technical and as
this is a grammar comparative, this should be feasible and you're right in that keeping
it as simple as possible is the best goal (it took me long enough to write the English
one and I'm a teacher and I'm still not sure about my Spanish contribution).

For this initial thread, we might as well continue what a few others have already done.
You (and anyone) could put any information about any languages you know and whether or
not they have articles and if they do, what they are like.

Thanks to Volte and Lianne for their earlier contributions (which I added to the first
post). I had no idea Esperanto had no indefinite article and truth be told I'd never
heard of Toki Pano until earlier so I'm glad I learnt something new.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other topics we could discuss? Also please write
any information you have about articles in future posts here and I'll adjust the first
post for as long as I can.

Edited by crafedog on 03 May 2011 at 7:58am

1 person has voted this message useful

zyz
United States
Joined 5118 days ago

19 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin, Ancient Greek, Sanskrit

Message 11 of 24
03 May 2011 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
Regarding the original book mentioned, Google Books has a scan of another copy of it, which appears to be in better condition. Doesn't resolve the datedness or typeface problems, of course.

crafedog
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5600 days ago

166 posts - 337 votes 

Message 12 of 24
03 May 2011 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
zyz wrote:
Regarding the original book mentioned, id=ChouAAAAYAAJ">Google Books has a scan of another copy of it, which appears to
be in better condition. Doesn't resolve the datedness or typeface problems, of course.

Hey great find. Thanks for that. I'll give it a good read.

As you say, it's a shame it's so out-dated. I've seen a couple of really strange things
for Spanish and a couple for English so I dread to think what's unnecessary/archaic in
the other live languages.

It's also a bit of a shame that, as extensive as it is, it only did it for a few
languages. I'd love to see something like this with Sanskrit or MSA or Russian for
example but that's what this thread will hopefully be for.

I'll add your link to the first post. Thanks again.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6364 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 13 of 24
04 May 2011 at 7:27am | IP Logged 
There's a difficulty with this project. This difficulty is choosing categories. It's nicely illustrated by trying to decide whether Cantonese has or hasn't definite articles.

Much like in Mandarin, in Cantonese you can say "This car" by going "This+classifier+car", where the classifier is the car's, uh, let's call it gender until we try to decide whether these languages have genders. You can also say "That car" by going "That+classifier+car". Then comes the difference between Mandarin and Cantonese. Mandarin doesn't have any definite article, but in Cantonese, you often just say "Classifier+car". That is, it's a specific car, but you're not specifying if it's "this" or "that" car. This seems to me to be approximately what a definite article is in English, correct me if I'm wrong.

So far so good; it appears Cantonese has definite articles. But wait! It gets complicated. In Cantonese, when you want to say "here", you go "At+this+place" (logically enough). "There" becomes "At+that+place". But then the same thing is going on as we just saw with the car. You can (and often do) go "At+place", that is, specifying a specific place, but not saying if it's here or there (context takes care of that). This is, to me, obviously the same phenomenon as the definite article. It's even used in many places where we use a "the" in English. "By the car" becomes "At+car+place".

So in Cantonese, the "definite article" is just a part of a larger "unspecified specificity" thing. Having a category in a comparative grammar which starts with a European language and tries to fit other languages into that model will be difficult. From the point of view of Cantonese, we'd say that English has an incomplete "unspecified specificity" that can be applied to objects but not locations. There's a "the" between "this" and "that", but nothing between "here" and "there".

Then we get into even more trouble when we encounter a language that has a word between "now" and "then". Cantonese doesn't do this, but it's certainly possible.

crafedog
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5600 days ago

166 posts - 337 votes 

Message 14 of 24
04 May 2011 at 11:49am | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
There's a difficulty with this project. This difficulty is choosing
categories.

That's true, especially with the use of Articles as this is typically (or
exclusively, I don't know) a part of (Indo?) European languages.

But for other 'looser' categories, your concern is weakened somewhat. For example, one
category would be verb + object order/structure. English (SVO apart from passive
sentences), Spanish (object-verb or verb object depending on if it's a pronoun or not)
and Korean would be OV with 를/을 as the object 'marker'/indicator. Another one would
be turning verbs into nouns with -ion in Spanish and English or -기 in Korean (and
another way I'm forgetting). These different languages have different ways of forming
the grammar in the categories but as you can see there is a higher degree of
correlation between 'looser' topics (as opposed to an Articles topic).

As for the Articles entry, for example, some people might not know that Russian does
not use articles (right?) but a quick glance at the thread in this 'project' would
correct that mis-assumption. I see your mother tongue is Swedish; I honestly don't know
at all if Swedish has definite/indefinite article(s). If it does, I don't how many it
has, what they look like, if they change etc. I would love to know any detail you could
provide about it (or any other language) hence this project.

Ari wrote:
Mandarin doesn't have any definite article, but in Cantonese, you often
just say "Classifier+car". That is, it's a specific car, but you're not specifying if
it's "this" or "that" car. This seems to me to be approximately what a definite article
is in English, correct me if I'm wrong.

That's an interesting overview and I would agree that that could be what a definite
article is classified as (in English at least) but I'm sure the issue of what an
article is could be a huge debate in itself though (hence why we'd want to keep the
future categories 'looser' and/or 'simpler' than this one).

Ari wrote:
So far so good; it appears ... "By the car" becomes "At+car+place".

The "the" of "By the car" could arguably be considered part of an expression (debatable
but read on). For example "I travelled by car": in this sentence I didn't use a
definite article or any article. Does that mean that English doesn't use an article? No
of course not. If another language (that has articles) says "I travelled by a car" does
that make a difference to the English article for the sake of comparison? No, it's just
how it's used. Either way though, you could clearly say that English and this
hypothetical language above have articles in their languages. A lack of its usage in
certain situations doesn't deny this (like Spanish/English noun generalisations for
example). The articles are essential and necessary parts of these languages (but not so
in others).

Ari wrote:
So in Cantonese, the "definite article" is just a part of a larger
"unspecified specificity" thing. Having a category in a comparative grammar which
starts with a European language and tries to fit other languages into that model will
be difficult. From the point of view of Cantonese, we'd say that English has an
incomplete "unspecified specificity" that can be applied to objects but not locations.
There's a "the" between "this" and "that", but nothing between "here" and "there".

Korean would use 에 or 에서 to indicate location depending on what was happening there.
If you wanted to be very specific, you could use this (car)/that(shop)/1(city) if you
wanted but it's not necessary. They would be happy saying the equivalent of 'car'에서
etc. 은/는 이/가 could be translated into English as a "a" or "the" BUT this would only
be translated into "a" or "the" IF the English sentence/translation needed it; the
Korean sentence/language does not need the specification hence Korean does not have an
actual definite/indefinite article. It only does so when translated but it's not an
integral part of the language itself.

(bit tired so I apologise if I've misunderstood any of your above points)

Though there are some interesting concerns here, I think we're in danger of getting a
little bit caught up with:
1. the translation aspect of very specific words, rather than merely being a grammar
comparative (I had the above debate with myself when I wrote the Korean entry). As I
mentioned earlier, I will look at 'looser' topics. The topic 'Articles' was an
exception as it's a bit too (Indo?) Euro-centric; other topics will try to avoid that.
2. Too much detail. We could literally write Mandarin: no definite article.
Cantonese: definite article (debated)
and I'd be more than happy with that. It's
more than I knew about the languages 5 minutes ago for example and if I want to know
more I can start studying the languages/look for some other threads. I envisioned this
as more of a brief overview (like the Profile pages on this site) of the comparative
grammar differences/similarities in languages we have studied rather than an actual,
serious, definitive piece of work/debate etc.

Edited by crafedog on 04 May 2011 at 11:52am

Haukilahti
Triglot
Groupie
Finland
Joined 4746 days ago

94 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Polish

Message 15 of 24
04 May 2011 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
An example: when I do my 'green sheets' with morphology I try always to keep the same sequence of basic cases as I learned in Latin: Nominative, Accusative, Genitive, Dative, Ablative. The Vocative mostly fit above Nominative, and instead of Ablative you find Instrumental and Prepositional/Locative in Russian, in that order. The funny thing is that almost all grammars for Slavic languages I have seen move Accusative past the Genitive, but actually the logical postition is between the Nominative and the Genitive whose forms it often 'borrows'.

The Slavic order is taken directly from the normal Latin order, which is Nominative, Genitive, Dative, Accusative, (Vocative), Ablative.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6364 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 16 of 24
04 May 2011 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
crafedog wrote:
As for the Articles entry, for example, some people might not know that Russian does not use articles (right?) but a quick glance at the thread in this 'project' would correct that mis-assumption. I see your mother tongue is Swedish; I honestly don't know at all if Swedish has definite/indefinite article(s). If it does, I don't how many it has, what they look like, if they change etc. I would love to know any detail you could provide about it (or any other language) hence this project.

Instead of arguing about the project, I'll just supply some more info to help it along, then. The main gist of my previous post was actually meant to be informative, rather than complainy.

So here's how it works in Swedish: We do have definite and indefinite articles. They agree with the gender of the noun (we have two genders: 'utrum' and 'neutrum') and their position determines if they're definite or indefinite. So "En bil" = "A car", "bilen" = "the car". "Ett papper" = "A paper", "Papperet" = "The paper".

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version