Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
24 messages over 3 pages: 1 2

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6485 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 24
04 May 2011 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
Haukilahti wrote:
Iversen wrote:
An example: when I do my 'green sheets' with morphology I try always to keep the same sequence of basic cases as I learned in Latin: Nominative, Accusative, Genitive, Dative, Ablative. The Vocative mostly fit above Nominative, and instead of Ablative you find Instrumental and Prepositional/Locative in Russian, in that order. The funny thing is that almost all grammars for Slavic languages I have seen move Accusative past the Genitive, but actually the logical postition is between the Nominative and the Genitive whose forms it often 'borrows'.

The Slavic order is taken directly from the normal Latin order, which is Nominative, Genitive, Dative, Accusative, (Vocative), Ablative.

When I learnt Latin in Denmark forty years ago the order was the one I specified above. Maybe there are some country specific traditions.   
1 person has voted this message useful

Haukilahti
Triglot
Groupie
Finland
Joined 4746 days ago

94 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Polish

Message 18 of 24
04 May 2011 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
You might guess where I learnt Latin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instruction_in_Latin#Order_of_D eclension_in_Various_Curricula

;-)
3 persons have voted this message useful

crafedog
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5600 days ago

166 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean, Tok Pisin, French

Message 19 of 24
04 May 2011 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
Instead of arguing about the project, I'll just supply some more info to
help it along, then. The main gist of my previous post was actually meant to be
informative, rather than complainy.

Either way, you raised some good points that need to be considered in the future so
thanks for that.

Ari wrote:
So here's how it works in Swedish: We do have definite and indefinite
articles. They agree with the gender of the noun (we have two genders: 'utrum' and
'neutrum') and their position determines if they're definite or indefinite. So "En bil"
= "A car", "bilen" = "the car". "Ett papper" = "A paper", "Papperet" = "The paper".

I'm such a language nerd. Literally my first thought was "Wow, that's really cool!" I'm
glad no-one was around to hear it.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5793 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 20 of 24
04 May 2011 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
crafedog wrote:
As for the Articles entry, for example, some people might not know that Russian does not use articles (right?) but a quick glance at the thread in this 'project' would correct that mis-assumption. I see your mother tongue is Swedish; I honestly don't know at all if Swedish has definite/indefinite article(s). If it does, I don't how many it has, what they look like, if they change etc. I would love to know any detail you could provide about it (or any other language) hence this project.

Instead of arguing about the project, I'll just supply some more info to help it along, then. The main gist of my previous post was actually meant to be informative, rather than complainy.

So here's how it works in Swedish: We do have definite and indefinite articles. They agree with the gender of the noun (we have two genders: 'utrum' and 'neutrum') and their position determines if they're definite or indefinite. So "En bil" = "A car", "bilen" = "the car". "Ett papper" = "A paper", "Papperet" = "The paper".

But here again we've got the argument that an "article" is a clitic, but Danish uses a suffix.

The notion of article is, like much of our traditional grammar, based on Italic and Germanic structure.

I would say the most neutral term comes out of Ari's post: "specifiers".

eg
Within English, most "specifiers" are clitics of the word class "determiners".

Determiners include "this"/"that", articles , and possessives (my, your etc)

In addition to determiners, nouns can be specified by a noun in the possessive (eg "John's").

(And continue to expand of redirect the reader to another place where the concept is dealt with.)

This lets us put things in the same place based on function rather than form, and lets us deal with each language in its own terms.

Now it no longer matters whether the Cantonese thing is an article or not, and we don't have to call the Danish/Swedish/Norwegian definite suffix an "article" simply to get it in the right part of the resource.

crafedog
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5600 days ago

166 posts - 337 votes 

Message 21 of 24
05 May 2011 at 9:39am | IP Logged 
I begun a new thread called APCG Project - Alphabet/Writing Systems in the "Collaborative
Writing" sub-forum. Please contribute to it as well as this one.

[edit: having real problems with hyperlinks today. Click the 1, look in the subforum or
browse my posts]

Edited by crafedog on 05 May 2011 at 11:13am

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4897 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 22 of 24
03 June 2011 at 10:17pm | IP Logged 
Is this still going on? I was having fun. :) I don't think I have anything more to add to the alphabet one, but I can talk about Esperanto on other topics!

crafedog
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5600 days ago

166 posts - 337 votes 

Message 23 of 24
05 June 2011 at 6:54am | IP Logged 
Lianne wrote:
Is this still going on? I was having fun. :) I don't think I have
anything more to add to the alphabet one, but I can talk about Esperanto on other
topics!

It didn't really get enough interest in it unfortunately. Considering all the users on
this forum who speak/learn many languages yet as of now we've only managed to get 3
users to contribute, it's not a very good sign of this project taking off. If users
won't even contribute to something as simple as the alphabet, then getting them to
contribute to something more complex/detailed is not looking good.

Shame. I thought it would've been interesting for others. If we get some more
contributions, I'll add them and if we get a decent amount of languages I'll start part
2 but for now we'll have to wait and see I guess.

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4897 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 24 of 24
06 June 2011 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
:( That's a shame. I think this project is a really good idea. If it does continue, I'll definitely contribute what I can to each topic.

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version