aka FailArtist
United States
Joined 5150 days ago

315 posts - 347 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Toki Pona

Message 1 of 37
02 May 2011 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
This is more of a question than a lecture, as I just recently started the Swedish teach
yourself (for beginners it says).

I don't know too much, but from the first two chapters I can say it throws a LOT at you
depending on how fast you do these chapters. There's already (probably) over a hundred
new words (assuming you are 100% new to the language) and I think about 8 or so grammar
rules. That's not too much of a problem for me, but for some I think that might be a
bit of a discouragement.

However, having so much thrown at you allows for flexibility. I've been able to pick
out words I will definitely have use for soon and make lists of those rather than using
longer words that I won't be using for some time. I also enjoy the audio, the quality
is decent and the people on the recordings are well spoken.

What is your experience with the Teach Yourself series? I know many of the books vary a
lot, I also have TY Spanish (which I've hardly gone through because I know most of the
material in the first 6 chapters) which is extremely different from the Swedish book.

What are the good things and bad things about them?

Edit: You'll have to excuse any grammatical mistakes, I tend to type very fast and
don't always catch them. I changed a few.

Edited by Akao on 02 May 2011 at 8:43pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5543 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 2 of 37
03 May 2011 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
Well, most people would say the English on the CD, but I have a feeling you're looking for comments on the content of TYS.

I own several TYS courses, most are modern and a few are from the '60s or older. Unfortunately I haven't finished any of them so I can't give a detailed review.

I have to say, I like the Spanish TYS from the '60s better than the one from the 2000s, but that's just me. I like having to do the exercises from the older course.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5195 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 3 of 37
03 May 2011 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
I did the first 5 lessons of the Norwegian TY over the weekend. Yes, there's lots of material rather fast, but there is no obligation to get it all in one run. You can read it over and over if you need to. As for useless words, I skip them. I know what I need better than they do.

In comparison, I'm also listening to Pimsleur. I'm at lesson 13, and I think the 5 TY lessons covered more material so far, so there is no doubt that TY will take me much further than Pimsleur's 30 lessons.

ChiaBrain
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5622 days ago

402 posts - 512 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*
Studies: Portuguese, Italian, French
Studies: German

Message 4 of 37
04 May 2011 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
All the Teach Yourself Hindi materials by Rupert Snell are highly regarded.

Alexander86
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
alanguagediary.blogs
Joined 4795 days ago

224 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 5 of 37
04 May 2011 at 8:52am | IP Logged 
Having done the Swedish TY series I agree wholeheartedly with you!! It just throws you in right at the deep end,
indeed I found it so annoying that I switched to Swedish in Three Months instead, which I found much more to
my liking. I later went back to the TY and found it better because I had a basic knowledge, but that's just me. As
long as you have some other sources as well, and don't try and learn everything you will be fine.

With learning German I found the TY hard going too, I even gave up learning the language after getting stuck on
their explanation of cases... but then after awhile I went back to the language with a different book (essential
german) and continued.

Have a good look for other materials and furnish your language learning with whatever you can. The Wallander
series of TV films (there's loads by different directors) are a great way to hear the language.

Ha det bra!

Mauritz
Octoglot
Sweden
Joined 4882 days ago

223 posts - 325 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, EnglishC2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Old English, Yiddish, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Korean, Portuguese, Welsh, Icelandic, Afrikaans

Message 6 of 37
04 May 2011 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
I also have several TY courses and they are very different from each other. The worst one I've used is TY Persian,
because not only did it have large and seemingly unnecessary texts right from the beginning, but also lots of errors
that I as a complete beginner could notice.

TY Complete Italian was the complete opposite and I really liked it. It's not made up of large texts, but instead
smaller dialogues. You can really see the language used in real-life situations and I never wondered why I'd have to
learn a particular word. It's also the only TY course that has really taken me from a complete beginner to being able
to use the language fairly well. However, keep in mind that I had studied French and Spanish before Italian!

I wonder how it feels like to study Swedish!

Raye
Diglot
United States
Joined 4968 days ago

37 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: DutchB1

Message 7 of 37
05 May 2011 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
Don't know if this is a pro or con for other people, but the English is British-accented, at least on the two I've tried. I liked it on the first one -- it was as fun imitating the Englishwoman as it was imitating the target language speakers. But it's slightly grating to me on this second one. Gotta get over it.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5195 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 8 of 37
05 May 2011 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
You know, TY -- like all other methods -- do offer you many words you may never use. How often do you use the words post office, or bridge? Many words presented in methods will never be part of what you need to express in your own life, or at least will not be needed in the short term.

In other words, don't forget to take the lists of words with a grain of salt. Not only will the words be used over and over, but many of them are not worth the effort.

However, pay a lot of attention to the structures that are introduced: those are almost always useful and important.

The key word here is CONTROL. Take control of your studies and decide for yourself what's worth your time.

Edited by Arekkusu on 05 May 2011 at 8:57pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version