Groupie
United States
Joined 4785 days ago

92 posts - 132 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 9 of 15
07 May 2011 at 3:54am | IP Logged 
Just watched some of the "Plautdietsch TV" podcasts by 'plautcast' on YouTube. Sounds like Dutch. You get some
words, maybe even some phrases, and then you just go, "???".

Yeah, if you're learning straight-up Plattdeutsch, you'll need some Hochdeutsch to get around. That's what
everyone uses for outsiders, if heavily colored by the sounds of their own dialect.

Edit: (no need for another post). By 'outsiders', I mean those who don't speak your dialect.

Edited by tbone on 07 May 2011 at 5:13am

1 person has voted this message useful

Wastedgrunt36
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 4816 days ago

17 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*, Punjabi*
Studies: German

Message 10 of 15
07 May 2011 at 4:39am | IP Logged 
tbone wrote:
Just watched some of the "Plautdietsch TV" podcasts by 'plautcast' on YouTube. Sounds like Dutch. You get some
words, maybe even some phrases, and then you just go, "???".

Yeah, if you're learning straight-up Plattdeutsch, you'll need some Hochdeutsch to get around. That's what
everyone uses for outsiders, if heavily colored by the sounds of their own dialect.

The other members on this thread said Hochdeutsch was the mediating language, but why use it on foreigners?

tracker465
United States
Joined 5146 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 11 of 15
07 May 2011 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
First of all, I find it interesting that you are opting to learn Platt instead of Hochdeutsch, and I find it very intriguing. Do you think you could shoot me a PM of good Platt resources? I don’t want to derail this topic.

Okay, now regarding the German dialects. When studying at a Philipps Universität, there was this guy (26 years old or so) who lived next to me, and he was from South Germany. He was from Baden-Württemberg, and I could literally understand nothing that came out of his mouth, when he spoke German. One day he told me that he could speak in Hochdeutsch, but chooses not to, since he didn’t consider it his first language and felt uncomfortable when speaking it. I asked him what he did if other Germans were around, and he explained that he never switched out of his dialect, and just got used to repeating things when people had trouble understanding.

When a different German friend (from Cottbus) came to visit me in the States, we of course took a trip to “Pennsylvania Dutch” country and he found an Amish person, with whom he spoke in German. They could understand each other enough, but it was obvious that my friend had some difficulties understanding this dialect, and that the Amish man had some difficulties with the spoken Hochdeutsch as well, but they managed.

Regarding Platt, I personally find it much easier to understand than the southern dialects of German, as it sounds more like Dutch or English. With that said, however, it definitely behooves a person to learn Hochdeutsch if he or she wants to be able to understand and be understood by the German speaking world.

Wastedgrunt36
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 4816 days ago

17 posts - 18 votes

Message 12 of 15
07 May 2011 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
tracker465 wrote:
First of all, I find it interesting that you are opting to learn Platt instead of Hochdeutsch, and I find it very intriguing. Do you think you could shoot me a PM of good Platt resources? I don’t want to derail this topic.

Okay, now regarding the German dialects. When studying at a Philipps Universität, there was this guy (26 years old or so) who lived next to me, and he was from South Germany. He was from Baden-Württemberg, and I could literally understand nothing that came out of his mouth, when he spoke German. One day he told me that he could speak in Hochdeutsch, but chooses not to, since he didn’t consider it his first language and felt uncomfortable when speaking it. I asked him what he did if other Germans were around, and he explained that he never switched out of his dialect, and just got used to repeating things when people had trouble understanding.

When a different German friend (from Cottbus) came to visit me in the States, we of course took a trip to “Pennsylvania Dutch” country and he found an Amish person, with whom he spoke in German. They could understand each other enough, but it was obvious that my friend had some difficulties understanding this dialect, and that the Amish man had some difficulties with the spoken Hochdeutsch as well, but they managed.

Regarding Platt, I personally find it much easier to understand than the southern dialects of German, as it sounds more like Dutch or English. With that said, however, it definitely behooves a person to learn Hochdeutsch if he or she wants to be able to understand and be understood by the German speaking world.

Okay, I'm a bit confused now. I'm not learning German too much on my own time, but in school. I wasn't too certain what dialect I was learning and assumed it was Plattdeutsch! But we definitely don't say "slappen", we say schlafen. I think schlafen is Hoch.

I'm obviously very new to this, so forgive my ignorance!

tbone
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4785 days ago

92 posts - 132 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 13 of 15
07 May 2011 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
And here we thought you were going to some sort of specialty language school!

Hochdeutsch is school German, standard German, TV news German, and also matches pretty well with what the
people of Hannover speak. You'll be ok in much of northern Germany. You will not be able to understand Platt,
Bavarian, Schwäbisch, Tyrolean, or Swiss German, but they'll generally be able to switch to Hochdeutsch for you,
though the sounds will still take some getting used to.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Wastedgrunt36
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 4816 days ago

17 posts - 18 votes

Message 14 of 15
07 May 2011 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I've seen some Plattdeutsch writing, it is very similar to Dutch. Or maybe Dutch is similar to Plattdeutsch.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version