Joined 5577 days ago

166 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean, Tok Pisin, French

Message 1 of 7
05 May 2011 at 9:16am | IP Logged 
Hello everyone.

I found a book quite recently
called "A polyglot grammar of the Hebrew, Chaldee, Syriac, Greek, Latin, English,
French, Italian, Spanish, and German languages, reduced to one common syntax, and an
uniform mode of declension and conjugation as far as practicable" by Samuel Barnard.

The book seems fascinating but is very outdated and contains only a (comparatively) few
amount of languages when compared to the diverse amount of languages people study on
this forum. I proposed that we make a brief one together, with each thread being based
around a particular language topic (Alphabet, comparatives/superlatives, Adjectives,
Noun formation, Verb Object order etc).

I started a thread to ask if people would be happy to contribute to this project.
T

[edit; having problems with Hyperlinks]
-------------------------
Our first project thread will be about the Alphabet. Essentially I want you to write
the letters that are used in the language (if that is not possible then see below).

Guidelines:
- Please write the capital letters the language might have
- Follow the dictionary order
- Don't write about the sounds. You can if you want (to show why two similar looking
letters are considered separate like I did with Korean/Spanish) but it's certainly not
necessary, nor required. This is a grammar comparative and writing about the sounds of
any of the languages could/do have multiple threads already
- The detail is up to you. If you want to add something like an archaic letter that was
cut/merged, then that's fine. If you want to write the minimal (like I did with
English), that's fine.
- Any language is fine. Maybe you think everyone knows it, maybe you think no-one cares
about it. Either way, I and others would love to learn about it however brief.
- Write the name of the writing system if you know it
- I'll add your contribution to my 1st post and I'll write your user name in the list
of users who contributed
- I'll put English as the first one because it will as a guide for other users who wish
to contribute.

Here's a useful site if you
have problems using the accents on your computer.

Note 1. Obviously don't list all the characters for Chinese or Japanese for example,
just give us some brief information about them. For Japanese though, you could add the
Hiragana and Katakana alphabets.
Note 2. If you give any extra info, please try to keep it as objective, brief and
concise as possible.

Thanks to users Lianne, Chung and paranday for their contributions.
-----------------------------------------------------------

English
The Alphabet
Aa Bb Cc Dd Ee Ff Gg Hh Ii Jj Kk Ll Mm Nn Oo Pp Qq Rr Ss Tt Uu Vv Ww Xx Yy Zz

Esperanto
La alfabeto, or la aboco (like English ABCs)
Aa Bb Cc Ĉĉ Dd Ee Ff Gg Ĝĝ Hh Ĥĥ Ii Jj Ĵĵ Kk Ll Mm Nn Oo Pp Rr Ss Ŝŝ Tt Uu Ŭŭ Vv Zz
Note: The letters Ĉ, Ĝ, Ĥ, Ĵ, Ŝ, and Ŭ are sometimes typed Cx, Gx, Hx, Jx, Sx,
and Ux, respectively, for ease of typing.

Estonian
Aa Bb Dd Ee Ff Gg Hh Ii Jj Kk Ll Mm Nn Oo Pp Rr Ss Šš Zz Žž Tt Uu Vv Õõ Ää Öö Üü
Note: The official alphabet is as above with 27 letters. There are also the
letters Cc Qq, Ww, Xx and Yy which occur when writing foreign names but are not
considered part of the official alphabet.

German
Aa Bb Cc Dd Ee Ff Gg Hh Ii Jj Kk Ll Mm Nn Oo Pp Qq Rr Ss Tt Uu Vv Ww Xx Yy Zz Ää Öö Üü
ß
Note: ß is pronounced the same as ss, and is increasingly being replaced by ss. ä, ö,
and ü can be typed as ae, oe, and ue if the proper keys are not available

Khoekhoegowab
Abetseb
Aa Ââ Bb Dd Ee Ff Gg Hh Ii Îî Jj Kk Kh/kh Ll Mm Nn Oo Ôô Pp Rr Ss Tt Ts/ts Uu Ûû Ww Xx
ǀ ǀG/ǀg ǀH/ǀh ǀKh/ǀkh ǀN/ǀn ǁ ǁG/ǁg ǁH/ǁh ǁKh/ǁkh ǁN/ǁn ! !G/!g !H/!h !Kh/!kh !N/!n ǂ
ǂG/ǂg ǂH/ǂh ǂKh/ǂkh ǂN/ǂn       
Note: Clicks are as follows: ǀ (affricated) dental click, ǁ(affricated) lateral
click, ! (implosive) alveolar click, ǂ (implosive) palatal click. Letter pairs b/p d/t
g/k are pronounced identically, however, by orthographic convention are associated with
different tone melodies. Nasalized vowels are indicated with a circumflex ^.

Korean
Hangeul 한글
ㄱ ㄲ ㄴ ㄷ ㄸ ㅁ ㅂ ㅃ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ (ㅏ ㅐ ㅑ ㅒ ㅓ ㅔ ㅕ ㅖ ㅗ ㅘ ㅙ ㅚ ㅛ ㅜ ㅝ ㅞ ㅟ ㅠ ㅡ ㅢ ㅣ) ㅈ
ㅉ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎ
Note 1: ㄲ, ㅆ etc are doubled versions of ㄱ, ㅅ but some dictionaries consider
them separate entries.
Note 2: ㅇ is unusual because it is used with vowels. ㅏ ㅓ ㅗ ㅣ ㅙ etc should
normally be written as 아 어 오 이 왜 as the vowel cannot be separated like I have done
above. This goes for all the vowels in the brackets above and the ㅇ has no sound when
used like this. However when ㅇ is at the end of syllable/sound/word like in 강 a
distinct sound is used (sounds like English '-ng').
Note 3: Koreans used Hanja 한자 (Traditional Chinese characters) exclusively
many years ago. The alphabet above (Hangeul) was introduced by King Sejong 세종대왕 in
1446. Hangeul is the dominant writing system nowadays whereas Hanja can be found on
street signs, briefly in newspapers, abbreviations etc in South Korea. South Koreans
still learn Hanja as part of their curriculum but in North Korea it was abolished by
the current Communist Regime.

Mongolian
Аа Бб Вв Гг Дд Ее Ëë Жж Зз Ии Йй Кк Лл Мм Нн Оо Өө Пп Рр Сс Тт Уу Үү Фф Хх Цц Чч Шш Щщ
Ъъ Ыы Ьь Ээ Юю Яя
Note: Mongolian is most commonly expressed in print using this modified Cyrillic
alphabet. However the Mongol minority in China typically expresses its native language
visually using a vertically-oriented script which derives from the alphabet of Old
Uigur.

Northern Lappish/Saami
Aa Áá Bb Cc Čč Dd Đđ Ee Ff Gg Hh Ii Jj Kk Ll Mm Nn Ŋŋ Oo Pp Rr Ss Šš Tt Ŧŧ Uu Vv Zz Žž
Note: This represents the latest revision to the alphabet (last modified in
1985). At least 9 modified Latin alphabets have been used to express the language and
this is sometimes problematic for the current generation of Saami who have no
experience with the conventions used in texts from the earlier part of the 20th century
and earlier.

Spanish
El alfabeto
Aa Bb Cc Ch/ch Dd Ee Ff Gg Hh Ii Jj Kk Ll Ll/ll Mm Nn Ññ Oo Pp Qq Rr Rr/rr Ss Tt Uu Vv
Ww Xx Yy Zz
When a vowel is stressed: Áá Éé Íí Óó Úú
Note: 'll' and 'rr' have separate sounds to a single L/R hence their distinction
in Spanish.

toki pona
Aa Ee Ii Jj Kk Ll Mm Nn Oo Pp Ss Tt Uu Ww
Note: The capital letters are only used for non-toki pona words, like names of
countries or people. Sentences do not start with capital letters.

Ukrainian
Аа Бб Вв Гг Ґґ Дд Ее Єє Жж Зз Ии Іі Її Йй Кк Лл Мм Нн Оо Пп Рр Сс Тт Уу Фф Хх Цц Чч Шш
Щщ Ьь Юю Яя
Note: There is also the apostrophe (’) as the final symbol. It's used to
indicate that the consonant preceding the soft vowel is unpalatalized.

Edited by crafedog on 05 June 2011 at 6:50am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4874 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 2 of 7
05 May 2011 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
Esperanto
La alfabeto, or la aboco (like English ABCs)
Aa Bb Cc Ĉĉ Dd Ee Ff Gg Ĝĝ Hh Ĥĥ Ii Jj Ĵĵ Kk Ll Mm Nn Oo Pp Rr Ss Ŝŝ Tt Uu Ŭŭ Vv Zz
Note: The letters Ĉ, Ĝ, Ĥ, Ĵ, Ŝ, and Ŭ are sometimes typed Cx, Gx, Hx, Jx, Sx, and Ux, respectively, for ease of typing.

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4874 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 3 of 7
05 May 2011 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
toki pona
Aa Ee Ii Jj Kk Ll Mm Nn Oo Pp Ss Tt Uu Ww
Note: The capital letters are only used for non-toki pona words, like names of countries or people. Sentences do not start with capital letters.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6915 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 4 of 7
05 May 2011 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
Estonian

Aa Bb Dd Ee Ff Gg Hh Ii Jj Kk Ll Mm Nn Oo Pp Rr Ss Šš Zz Žž Tt Uu Vv Õõ Ää Öö Üü

N.B. The official alphabet is as above with 27 letters. There are also the letters Cc Qq, Ww, Xx and Yy which occur when writing foreign names but not considered part of the official alphabet.

Northern Lappish/Saami

Aa Áá Bb Cc Čč Dd Đđ Ee Ff Gg Hh Ii Jj Kk Ll Mm Nn Ŋŋ Oo Pp Rr Ss Šš Tt Ŧŧ Uu Vv Zz Žž

N.B. This represents the latest revision to the alphabet (last modified in 1985). At least 9 modified Latin alphabets have been used to express the language and this is sometimes problematic for the current generation of Saami who have no experience with the conventions used in texts from the earlier part of the 20th century and earlier.

Mongolian

Аа Бб Вв Гг Дд Ее Ëë Жж Зз Ии Йй Кк Лл Мм Нн Оо Өө Пп Рр Сс Тт Уу Үү Фф Хх Цц Чч Шш Щщ Ъъ Ыы Ьь Ээ Юю Яя

N.B. Mongolian is most commonly expressed in print using this modified Cyrillic alphabet. However the Mongol minority in China typically expresses its native language visually using a vertically-oriented script which derives from the alphabet of Old Uigur.

Ukrainian

Аа Бб Вв Гг Ґґ Дд Ее Єє Жж Зз Ии Іі Її Йй Кк Лл Мм Нн Оо Пп Рр Сс Тт Уу Фф Хх Цц Чч Шш Щщ Ьь Юю Яя

N.B. There is also the apostrophe (’) as the final symbol. It's used to indicate that the consonant preceding the soft vowel is unpalatalized.

crafedog
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5577 days ago

166 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean, Tok Pisin, French

Message 5 of 7
06 May 2011 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
That's some great information there Chung and thanks to Lianne for her earlier
contribution.
1 person has voted this message useful

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4874 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 6 of 7
03 June 2011 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
German
Aa Bb Cc Dd Ee Ff Gg Hh Ii Jj Kk Ll Mm Nn Oo Pp Qq Rr Ss Tt Uu Vv Ww Xx Yy Zz Ää Öö Üü ß
Note: ß is pronounced the same as ss, and is increasingly being replaced by ss. ä, ö, and ü can be typed as ae, oe, and ue if the proper keys are not available.

If any Germans want to correct me here, feel free. I consulted a guy I work with who's from Germany before writing this, and he told me the stuff about typing ae, oe, and ue. When I asked him where in the alphabet the umlaut letters go, he said they aren't usually included in the alphabet, so I put them at the end.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version