Diglot
United States
Joined 5362 days ago

203 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish

Message 9 of 12
08 May 2011 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
Yes, that's also the reason why Icelandic reminds me of Mongolian and Cherokee of Cantonese.

Or why Mongolian reminds me of Russian :D

By the way, does anyone have an explanation for why European Portuguese is spoken with that weird slavic accent (if you know what I mean)? Kind of random for that area of Europe, Portugal being as far west in Europe as you can get from the Slavic nations...

Neighbouring countries etc. can have huge impacts on languages in terms of vocabulary and phonemes, and in bilingual cases even in terms of syntax/grammar (so we get languages like Finnish Swedish which sounds like Finnish because it's surrounded by Finnish speakers, and thus Finnish phonemes etc - Finnish and Swedish are in no way related linguistically and there's no other reason for a Swedish dialect to take on the phonemes of an unrelated Ugric language). But also, really, I think also in a lot of cases 2 similar-sounding languages point to a common ancestor, regardless of proximity. Have a listen to the Bench language of Ethiopia:

http://globalrecordings.net/audio/c80810/mp3/C80810-A.mp3

Sounds like Chinese, doesn't it? Or at least a tonal Asian language. Yet Ethiopia isn't really anywhere near an Asian nation. But if it's true that humans first migrated from Africa to Asia, then there's a (possible) explanation there.

Edited by kyssäkaali on 08 May 2011 at 11:20pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6391 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 10 of 12
09 May 2011 at 6:21am | IP Logged 
kyssäkaali wrote:
Have a listen to the Bench language of Ethiopia:

A.mp3">http://globalrecordings.net/audio/c80810/mp3/C80810-A .mp3

Sounds like Chinese, doesn't it? Or at least a tonal Asian language. Yet Ethiopia isn't really anywhere near
an Asian nation. But if it's true that humans first migrated from Africa to Asia, then there's a (possible)
explanation there.

Interesting example of how perceptions differ. To me that doesn't sound remotely Chinese, and certainly not
tonal in the way the Chinese languages are. It does, however, remind me of Japanese.

Also, Vietnamese sounds a bit like Cantonese, yes?

kyssäkaali
Diglot
United States
Joined 5362 days ago

203 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish

Message 11 of 12
10 May 2011 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
kyssäkaali wrote:
Have a listen to the Bench language of Ethiopia:

A.mp3">http://globalrecordings.net/audio/c80810/mp3/C80810-A .mp3

Sounds like Chinese, doesn't it? Or at least a tonal Asian language. Yet Ethiopia isn't really anywhere near
an Asian nation. But if it's true that humans first migrated from Africa to Asia, then there's a (possible)
explanation there.

Interesting example of how perceptions differ. To me that doesn't sound remotely Chinese, and certainly not
tonal in the way the Chinese languages are. It does, however, remind me of Japanese.

Also, Vietnamese sounds a bit like Cantonese, yes?

I admit it doesn't really sound like Chinese. That's the way someone described it when I first downloaded that clip. I listened to it just now and you're right, it sounds totally like Japanese. Skip to 0:44 for example.

As for Viet and Cantonese, I just watched a Cantonese clip on youtube and I didn't get any viet vibes at all. More Mandarin. However I'm not at all familiar with Mandarin; for all I know it sounds totally different. I know Cantonese still has the final consonants that Mandarin lost etc. Maybe it all depends on familiarity. A monolingual Mandarin speaker might turn right around and say German, French and Dutch all sound identical.

mick33
United States
Joined 5733 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 12 of 12
10 May 2011 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
Finnish and Swedish don't sound similar to me either. Listen to both languages a little more and you'll begin to notice the differences.

There was a time when I thought that Finnish and Japanese sounded alike, even though I don't think so now.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version