Argentina
Joined 5117 days ago

91 posts - 127 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French
Studies: Italian, German, Mandarin, Greek

Message 1 of 8
06 May 2011 at 4:01am | IP Logged 
Hi everybody.

I'd like to buy Italian and German magazines and I'm looking for a site where to do that. All I could find on line was subscriptions. What I want is to buy 4 or 5 every now and then, they don't necessarily have to be the newest, if they are within a 6 months range I'll be okay with that.

My objective is to practice and read relatively interesting material, that could be politics, culture, etc.

Since I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina, I look for something cheep or free delivery as in www.betterworldbooks.com

Any thoughts?

Edited by Luk on 06 May 2011 at 11:05pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Budz
Octoglot
Australia
languagepump.com
Joined 6155 days ago

118 posts - 171 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian, Esperanto, Ukrainian, Mandarin, Cantonese, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Persian, Hungarian, Kazakh, Swahili, Vietnamese, Polish

Message 2 of 8
06 May 2011 at 5:19am | IP Logged 
warning... I just tried out betterworldbooks.com but just before clicking 'buy' I thought I'd see if these books are on bookdepository.co.uk - they both were with one of them being $10 cheaper and the other $6 cheaper on bookdepository.co.uk!!!

Luk
Triglot
Groupie
Argentina
Joined 5117 days ago

91 posts - 127 votes 

Message 3 of 8
06 May 2011 at 5:26am | IP Logged 
I have never found anything cheaper in bookdepository.co.uk. Unfortunately, they don't ship to Argentina so I don't usually compare those.

I'm very satisfied with BWB, cheap and free shipping worldwide.

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5102 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 4 of 8
06 May 2011 at 6:11am | IP Logged 
You can read most of the content of German and Italian weekly magazines online:

German:
Der Spiegel
Stern
Focus

Italian:
Panorama
l'Espresso

You can also use the Featch News feature of the free Calibre ebook management software to automatically convert web site content from Der Spiegel, Panorama and several other news sites to ebooks.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Budz
Octoglot
Australia
languagepump.com
Joined 6155 days ago

118 posts - 171 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian, Esperanto, Ukrainian, Mandarin, Cantonese, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Persian, Hungarian, Kazakh, Swahili, Vietnamese, Polish

Message 5 of 8
06 May 2011 at 9:16am | IP Logged 
so bookdepository has free worldwide shipping?... except to Argentina... you should complain

translator2
United States
Joined 6701 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 6 of 8
06 May 2011 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
Have you tried mercado libre in Argentina?

Mercado Libre Argentina

Mercardo Libre II

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6161 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 8
06 May 2011 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
Budz wrote:
so bookdepository has free worldwide shipping?... except to Argentina... you should complain

Maybe you should be complaining to the Argentinian postal service:

Free Worldwide Delivery

The Book Depository Group is an international bookseller shipping our books free of charge, worldwide, to nearly 90 countries. By working with various world postal authorities and other carriers, we are always looking to add more countries to this list and will work to do so in the future.

Luk
Triglot
Groupie
Argentina
Joined 5117 days ago

91 posts - 127 votes 

Message 8 of 8
06 May 2011 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
Wow! thanks for all your responses! This forum is marvelous.

Doitsujin:

Yes, I am doing that for now, but it's more appealing to have the paper magazines. Thanks for that advice about calibre, I'll check that out.

Budz, newyorkeric:

I'd better not. The postal service here is a shame. Basically, is famous for keeping your stuff for them. Yes, as you read. If you're in luck, you'll get your things, other wise...

I am not saying that all of them still, but the service is not good. Last time I ordered some books at Amazon, the first 2 times I had to ask them to resend them, I was actually embarrassed. With BWB though, that doesn't happen.

translator2:

Yes, I'll check there. It was my second choice. Probably I can buy Der Spigel here from some "Kiosks" (places where they sell the newspapers and magazines). I bought the Corriere della sera and an argentinian newspaper called "Argentinisches Tageblatt" which is in German (and you can download in pdf from their site).

Edited by Luk on 07 May 2011 at 9:26pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version