Matheus
Brazil
Joined 4875 days ago

208 posts - 312 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, French

Message 9 of 10
07 May 2011 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
Sorry friend, but it seems that you only want to learn a language to claim you are bilingual, and not for usefulness, passion or hobbie. It looks like you're only worried about the time that it will take, and etc. I've been learning English for several years, and I cannot produce anything as perfect as another English learners on this forum, be it speaking or writing, but I do understand texts(99%), books (94%) and movies (90%).
If I misunderstood you, sorry.

Asking the thread's question, you'll never finish learning Swedish, because there will be always more words to learn, idioms, etc. If someone says one, two, three years, it's the time to be fluent, to get around, be able to handle different conversation topics, read books, watch movies, but when you start speaking, you'll see that you have a lot of vocabulary to learn, and much more things to improve. This process never ends. Languages take like eight or ten years to fully master, unless if you're living in your target language country, because it can be done in two dedicated years.

Don't learn a language because it's mandatory, don't learn a language for its usefulness, learn the language that you enjoy, because as I said, this process never ends, sooner or later you'll give up if you cannot keep interested.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Akao
aka FailArtist
United States
Joined 5130 days ago

315 posts - 347 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Toki Pona

Message 10 of 10
07 May 2011 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
It's quite ridiculous to assume that simply because I ask about a language's difficulty I
am learning it simply for title.

I am learning Swedish because it harbors my favorite music and I heard the literature is
decent. I know it will never end, but I was asking for B2 fluency.

Also, learning languages gets me really hyped up for some reason. So that's my motivation
behind it. Whether Swedish takes a year or five years, I'll learn it, but I wanted to
know how long so I can see how I should fit other languages with my study plans.

Edited by Akao on 07 May 2011 at 9:45pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version