Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

PerĂº, Lima, Bus - Racism? Reverse racism?

Language Learning Forum : Cultural Experiences in Foreign Languages Post Reply
BlondGirl
Groupie
United States
Joined 5368 days ago

49 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 3
08 May 2011 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
This was a weird experience I had in Lima on my last day.

My other half and I had gone to the beach and were returning home on a cheap bus. Since there is no standardization to the distance between seats, I had walked down the aisle looking for the one with the most leg room (I am taller than the average Peruano). When we boarded, no one else was on-board.

I picked a seat near the middle. After maybe 20 or 30 minutes, when the bus started to fill up, the caller guy told me that I had to move. (Note: buses there don't have a set route/schedule. A person yells out the route to potential riders from the side door and bangs on the side of the bus to signal the driver when to stop.)

I didn't understand. He wanted me to sit in the front in one of the two granny seats. I protested because I was uncomfortable being young and healthy and taking up a space reserved for those who have some limitations.

The guy said some things I did not understand and my other half told me to "Just do it. Just move now. Please don't argue." I said, "Fine!" and we moved up. Everyone stared at us and I felt like I was on display. Of course I did not understand what the issue was.

When we got home later, the explanation was that because I am white and that white people really don't ever use those buses, the guy moved me up to the front to avoid any potential confrontations. (Note: I never felt any danger or anything other than what I have experienced in other buses--weary people who only want to get to Point B.)

So, there you have it: I was moved to the front of the bus because I am too white.
Absolutely, one of the weirdest experiences I had while I was there!

1 person has voted this message useful

vientito
Canada
Joined 6149 days ago

212 posts - 281 votes 

Message 3 of 3
12 June 2011 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
I as well have travelled in Peru and once I was in one of these minivans packed with
locals. Just at the departure point when people slowly filled up the van, I witnessed
a woman started up a quarrel with a man. It turned out that because people were
sitting close to each other and as they crammed more passengers into the van that woman
probably sat on the hand of the guy. She immediately turned around and gave the guy
crap. I think she thought the guy was molesting her. I was behind them so I knew the
guy probably had no such intention at all (but who knows?) That guy left the van after
a 3 minute long verbal combat with the woman.

So that could be one of your potential "confrontations" travelling in a crammed minivan
in Peru. Consider that gesture of goodwill on the part of that assistant. He just
might have witnessed those things more often than you could imagine. By moving the
foreigners apart from the locals he avoided dealing with a potentially explosive
situation where he would not even have the linguistic ability to deal with in the first
place.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version