Bilingual Tetraglot
Bulgaria
Joined 4970 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Russian*, Bulgarian*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1

Message 1 of 17
09 May 2011 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
Bonjour à tout le monde!

Recently I started to learn Italian, but I have one particular problem with the pronunciation of the gli sound. In fact, this consonant isn't used in any other language I know so far and I guess for that reason it's quite difficult for me to reproduce it. In other terms I just can't articulate it correctly as the native speakers do. My question is what should be the proper tongue movement?

Any advice?
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5805 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 2 of 17
10 May 2011 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
Two ways to look at it.

GL is to L what GN is to N (and French has GN)

Or...

GL is a palatisation of L (and Russian is full of palatisations)
2 persons have voted this message useful

tibbles
Diglot
United States
Joined 4985 days ago

245 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean

Message 3 of 17
10 May 2011 at 8:14am | IP Logged 
Rascheff wrote:
Bonjour à tout le monde!

In fact, this consonant isn't used in any other language I know so far

Isn't it in English, as when you say the part between the 'mil' and 'on' in 'million'? It's just that we don't have it at the start of English words as it is in Italian. The same could be said about the Mandarin pinyin 'c' sound, yet it's right there in English at the end of the word 'cats'.

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5393 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 4 of 17
10 May 2011 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
Isn't it in English, as when you say the part between the 'mil' and 'on' in 'million'?

This is a approximation, but not the real sound.

In English you can divide the sound: [l-j], but in the Roman languages is is fused: [λ]

I personally find the latter difficult and substitute it with the combination [lj], but this is only second choice.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5805 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 5 of 17
10 May 2011 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
Cabaire wrote:
Isn't it in English, as when you say the part between the 'mil' and 'on' in 'million'?

This is a approximation, but not the real sound.

It also depends on your accent. George Bush slenderises his LL even more than Italian, I barely slenderise mine at all -- to me, it's just like adding a Y after an L.

SnowManR1
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5282 days ago

53 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 6 of 17
10 May 2011 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
Pronounced in  English as "lli" in million.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6233 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 7 of 17
10 May 2011 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
Italian 'gli' is not pronounced the same way as the 'lli' in English 'million'. English does not have this sound. 'lli' is as close as English gets to it, and it's kind of understandable when someone uses this sound as a replacement in Italian, but it's a different sound.

Italian 'gl' is a palatal lateral approximant, IPA symbol ʎ.

wikipedia wrote:

* Its manner of articulation is approximant, which means it is produced by narrowing the vocal tract at the place of articulation, but not enough to produce a turbulent airstream.
    * Its place of articulation is palatal, which means it is articulated with the middle or back part of the tongue raised to the hard palate.
    * Its phonation is voiced, which means the vocal cords vibrate during the articulation.
    * It is an oral consonant, which means air is allowed to escape through the mouth only.
    * It is a lateral consonant, which means it is produced by directing the airstream over the sides of the tongue, rather than down the middle.
    * The airstream mechanism is pulmonic, which means it is articulated by pushing air solely with the lungs and diaphragm, as in most sounds.

I think this is clearer than trying to describe how the tongue is cupped and bunched up. That said, the centre of your tongue needs to be touching your hard palate; air goes over the sides of your tongue. It's the place marked '7' in the wikipedia page on places of articulation.

5 persons have voted this message useful

SnowManR1
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5282 days ago

53 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 8 of 17
11 May 2011 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
It's to no offense Volte, but as a Native English speaker I'm surprised you disagree with the "lli" in million as not being its closest equivalent in terms of how to pronounce "gli".

Also I feel I must be honest. Describing how to pronounce the sound is about as useful as a fifth leg on a cow. Rascheff is most likely not going to find the IPA symbol ʎ useful at all & showing him the method of producing the sound is the equivalent of trying to explain the color red to a blind person.

I'm not an expert & am B1'ish at best, however I have just about every resource under the sun & all my college level textbooks, Assimil, etc., all use the example "lli" as in million. They are native speakers of Italian & claim there is no better comparison for English speakers.

Rascheff you may decide on whatever you think is best. I speak with natives of Italian and receive complements on the pronunciation of "gli" & my resources also confirm this. Volte, again please take no offense to my defense. I was only trying to provide an example.

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version