Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
15 messages over 2 pages: 1
hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4924 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 9 of 15
13 May 2011 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
Haldor wrote:
Also, I have no trpouble understanding swedes, whereas they often ave trouble undrstanding us, if we don't switch to Swedish. So, on that basis, Norwegian would be the better choice

Somewhere I read that the reason for this could be the increased exposure of Swedish that Norwegians have with TV and radio programming, news, etc.

I tend to believe that. I don't think Swedes have the same exposure to Norwegian. I'm an outsider looking in though, so that's purely opinion.

R.
==
1 person has voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5247 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 10 of 15
13 May 2011 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
Haldor wrote:
Also, I have no trpouble understanding swedes, whereas they often ave trouble
undrstanding us, if we don't switch to Swedish. So, on that basis, Norwegian would be the better choice

Somewhere I read that the reason for this could be the increased exposure of Swedish that Norwegians have with
TV and radio programming, news, etc.

I have heard that explanation many times and I doubt that it is true. A lot of us have grown up without access to
Swedish TV and radio. Still, we have no trouble understanding Swedish. I think it has more to do with exposure to
different dialects and variants of the language. In addition to having two written standards, we are used to hearing
all sorts of dialects all the time.

Edited by tractor on 13 May 2011 at 4:38pm

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6472 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 12 of 15
13 May 2011 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
I have heard that explanation many times and I doubt that it is true. A lot of us have grown up without access to
Swedish TV and radio. Still, we have no trouble understanding Swedish. I think it has more to do with exposure to
different dialects and variants of the language. In addition to having two written standards, we are used to hearing
all sorts of dialects all the time.

I disagree. I know many Norwegians who do NOT understand Swedish, and the standard explanation is "I didn't have Swedish TV growing up". If I were to speak actual Swedish to them, we would have a serious problem (even though they actually think I speak Swedish, which is funny). As a matter of fact, all that about Norwegians understanding Swedish is simply not true. They do not understand all dialects etc., even though they may understand more than any standard Swede without prior exposure to Norwegian would understand Norwegian. The first time I heard spoken Norwegian was when I moved to Norway, not while living in Sweden. Norwegians hear Swedish all the time. However, if you - as a foreigner - have learned either language and speak rather slowly, I think no side will have any great trouble understanding you.

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5247 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 

Message 13 of 15
13 May 2011 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
tricoteuse wrote:
I disagree. I know many Norwegians who do NOT understand Swedish, and the standard
explanation is "I didn't have Swedish TV growing up".

Really?

And you're not speaking to them in some weird Scania dialect..? ;-)

tricoteuse wrote:
Norwegians hear Swedish all the time.

And yet do not understand?

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6472 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 14 of 15
13 May 2011 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
Really?

And you're not speaking to them in some weird Scania dialect..? ;-)

Nopes, I'm from the north. Appropriately enough, Northerners understand me best, even perfectly sometimes.

tractor wrote:
Norwegians hear Swedish all the time.
And yet do not understand?

Those who have grown up with TV usually understand - my boyfriend and his family for example. My classmates at Uni from Oslo or the south (10 or so years younger) often just stare and I have to rephrase and rephrase if I forget the Norwegian word for something. But a friend of mine from the north has the theory that many Norwegians don't WANT to understand Swedish. They tell themselves that they don't understand - and they don't try either.

Still, you have lots of exposure here so if you want to understand Swedish, it shouldn't be very hard. I think everyone has Swedish TV now, and if you live in Oslo you meet Swedes every day. In Sweden we don't have Norwegian TV, so it's hard to get exposure, and Norwegians don't go to Sweden to work.

Edited by tricoteuse on 13 May 2011 at 7:46pm

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5247 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 

Message 15 of 15
13 May 2011 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
tricoteuse wrote:

Those who have grown up with TV usually understand - my boyfriend and his family for example. My classmates at
Uni from Oslo or the south (10 or so years younger) often just stare and I have to rephrase and rephrase if I forget
the Norwegian word for something. But a friend of mine from the north has the theory that many Norwegians don't
WANT to understand Swedish. They tell themselves that they don't understand - and they don't try either.

Yes, now everybody has Swedish TV, but it has not always been like that. In and around Oslo they have had access
to Swedish TV for decades, so according to the "TV theory" they are exactly the people that should understand
Swedish the best. There may be something in your friend's theory about them not wanting to understand. I know
that stare. I am from the North.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version