China
Joined 4743 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 1 of 6
16 May 2011 at 7:48am | IP Logged 
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/e/languages/index.html

I really have questions about that rating. How could Spanish be easier for an English speaker than Dutch or Swedish, two Germanic languages with very simplified grammar (particularly the last one), and very similar syntax and vowels?

What is the basis of those ratings? In general the other ratings appear appropriate (though obviously common sensical, to give Japanese or Chinese difficult marks), but I just don't see what could be so difficult in Swedish or Dutch from an English language person learning another Germanic tongue to make them harder than languages in another sub-family entirely.

Edited by outcast on 16 May 2011 at 7:49am

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6497 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 6
16 May 2011 at 9:36am | IP Logged 
Outcast definitely has a point. The only thing that could support giving Swedish and Dutch one cactus more than Spanish is the number of learners, which means that there are more study materials. And in the special case of the USA: the fact that half the country already is half bilingual. If you only looked at shared vocabulary and grammatical parallels you could even have argued that Dutch and Swedish should have one cactus instead of the three in the current list.

Saim
Pentaglot
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4877 days ago

124 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: Serbo-Croatian, English*, Catalan, Spanish, Polish
Studies: Dutch, Portuguese, Italian, Occitan, Punjabi, Urdu, Arabic (Maghribi), French, Modern Hebrew, Ukrainian, Slovenian

Message 3 of 6
16 May 2011 at 12:04pm | IP Logged 
The thing about Spanish is that it's more readily understandable, as the cognates that
English does share with Spanish are easier to recognize because they entired English
more recently than the core Germanic vocabulary it shares with Swedish and Dutch.

For example;

English: Mathematics/maths
Spanish: Matematicas/mate
Dutch: Wiskunde

but

English: go
Spanish: ir
Dutch: gaan
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6376 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 4 of 6
16 May 2011 at 12:44pm | IP Logged 
Saim wrote:
For example;

English: Mathematics/maths
Spanish: Matematicas/mate
Dutch: Wiskunde

Swedish: Matematik/matte

You do have a point, though, especially if you choose words that don't come from the international European common vocabulary. Like:

English: Prohibition
Spanish: Prohibición
Swedish: Förbud

You can get thousands of free Spanish words by using simple rules on English words. The same cannot be said with Swedish, as when there are cognates, they are not as predictable.

gambi
New Zealand
Joined 4903 days ago

37 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: Indonesian, Burmese

Message 5 of 6
16 May 2011 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
outcast wrote:

I really have questions about that rating. How could Spanish be easier for an English speaker than Dutch or Swedish, two Germanic languages with very simplified grammar (particularly the last one), and very similar syntax and vowels?

It isn't just the grammar, you also have to take into account the pronunciation. As an English speaker, I find Spanish phonology far simpler and easier to tackle than Danish or German. However I haven't toyed around with Dutch or Swedish yet, and so I can't really comment on those two.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5805 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 6 of 6
16 May 2011 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
Swedish isn't that straightforward.

A) pitch accent, a concept so hard to pin down that many language materials ignore it and hope it will go away.

B) the definitive article is a suffix rather than a clitic. And it's of the same form as the indefinite article, just in a different place. That's a bit weird.

C) Lots of vowels.

Dutch may have a simpler grammar than German, but it still sticks lots of its vowels at the end. It also has two gutterals -- Spanish only has one, and you can get away with saying an English "h" instead.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version