Norway
Joined 6376 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 9 of 12
20 May 2011 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
starrye wrote:
I have noticed I have great difficulty reading Japanese written in romaji for this reason. Its as if my
eyes want to glide over the text as a unit, but the shapes don't match. It doesn't "look" like Japanese. Whereas,
words written in the Japanese script are immediately recognized. It would seem there is a very strong visual
connection in my memory to the shape of the written word as a whole, and not just it's broken down pronunciation.
I'm a very visual learner though, when it comes to new vocabulary.

Interesting. For me it's the other way around. I've spent more time reading characters than Pinyin by a factor of at
least a hundred (I read books in characters, but I've never seen a book in Pinyin), but I still find that when I get to an
example sentence in a dictionary, I'm immediately drawn towards the Pinyin and I read it at least twice as fast as I
read the characters. A couple more years of reading characters should probably rectify that, but the Latin alphabet
is obviously deeply ingrained in me in a way characters will take a long time to approximate.
1 person has voted this message useful

galindo
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5001 days ago

142 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Portuguese

Message 10 of 12
21 May 2011 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
Ari, I think it might have something to do with the wide variation of word length that you get when you romanize Japanese. From what I've seen of Pinyin, it seems like each character is represented by 2-4 letters. But in Japanese, 塊 turns into an eight letter word, and 絵 is just one letter. On average it trends toward longer words than you see in Pinyin, especially with long verb endings added on.

I think it messes up the visual "look" of the language in a way that makes it uncomfortable (for me) to read, especially since people can't really seem to agree on proper spacing. Another thing that makes it annoying is that with some romanized words you can think of twenty different kanji combinations that share that spelling, and inevitably some share similar meanings so context can't always narrow it down completely.

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6743 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 11 of 12
21 May 2011 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
galindo wrote:
Ari, I think it might have something to do with the wide variation of
word length that you get when you romanize Japanese. From what I've seen of Pinyin, it
seems like each character is represented by 2-4 letters. But in Japanese, 塊 turns into
an eight letter word, and 絵 is just one letter. On average it trends toward longer
words than you see in Pinyin, especially with long verb endings added on.

That's true, and I think that the way we learn characters also has something to do with
it. Chinese learners generally learn through pinyin, so when they encounter a character
for the first time and are trying to memorize it, they make a mental connection with
the pinyin, and when they don't understand a character or text, pinyin is what they
fall back on. In contrast, Japanese learners discard romanization very early on in the
process, and we use hiragana as our learning aid and our crutch. So it's understandably
very hard for us to mentally equate romanization with characters. I think a fairer
comparison would be pinyin and hiragana; I can visualize the characters when reading
hiragana much more easily, and depending on the complexity of the character or text, my
eyes are often drawn to the hiragana in the same way Ari's are to the pinyin
transcription.

Edited by Lucky Charms on 21 May 2011 at 6:11am

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5560 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 12 of 12
21 May 2011 at 10:30am | IP Logged 
I started Mandarin with something between 800 and 1100 kanji under my belt and I can't read pinyin. It doesn't connect to the way the word is supposed to sound in my brain. Put the language on hold, and two years later I still can read most of the words I used to be able to read. That is, my brain recognizes it's Mandarin Chinese and my inner narrator switches to "Ella Chen". It's quite funny actually.

Oh, and when I see a text with a line of Japanese text and then romanization my gaze gets drawn to the romanization, even though it takes me much longer to understand that and I understand less words than I understand in kanji. It's just that I read so much with Latin letters that my brain believes they should be easier to understand.

Ah, just realized that I didn't say anything about the main topic, which, sadly I do not have anything to say about. As my first encounter with a proficient Chinese speaker was when I was barely eight, I do not remember having any conscious knowledge of the language without believing that it could be learnt; I just assumed that if you would dedicate yourself to the language, all of it would start to make sense to you sooner or later. (That's still the way I treat anything new and strange.)

Edited by Bao on 21 May 2011 at 12:45pm

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version