Diglot
Joined 6967 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 1 of 9
24 May 2011 at 7:56am | IP Logged 
As I have noted in my current log, a Finnish friend sent to me a link to a Danish cartoonist's site called "Scandinavia and the World". She has drawn over 200 short strips that play on national stereotypes and also offer caricatures of the worldview of Scandinavians. I spent a good couple of hours going through all of them and got a good laugh out of over half of the strips. The nice thing was that it gave a gentle and light-hearted introduction to the mentality (or supposed mentality) of people from Scandinavia or regions strongly associated with the region (not just her fellow Danes). It was also a nice diversion from doing drills in Finnish.

Here are the strips that use languages as part of the punch line (although there are many very funny ones that aren't related to languages. Go on! Just spend an hour going through all of them rather than only the ones listed below. You won't regret it! :-)).

Stop talking (plays on how spoken Danish is incomprehensible to the Norwegians and Swedes)
Talk to me 1 (plays on how Finns arugably speak better Swedish than other non-Swedes, despite the ambiguous place of Swedish in the modern Finnish psyche)
Talk to me 2 (plays on how Danes struggle to speak Swedish - I found this one to be VERY funny :-D)
I love you (plays on the cartoonist's view of national self-perception while also showing how to say "I love you" in 5 languages)
Small talk (plays on the relationship between Finnish Finns and Swedish Finns)
Product pairing (plays on how product descriptions or instructions in Danish and Norwegian are often subsumed under "DK/NO" to the delight of a stereotyped American girl)
What did you say (plays on the languages used in the Nordic countries)
Language lesson (plays on the perception of the national languages in each of the large Nordic nation-states)
11 persons have voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5275 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 2 of 9
24 May 2011 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
I have no particular interest in Scandanavia beyond a general geeky interest in all foreign languages and cultures, but these cartoons are brilliant! I've just wasted an hour at work browsing through them and I've still got plenty to go. Thanks for letting us know about them.
1 person has voted this message useful

Talairan
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6403 days ago

194 posts - 258 votes 
Speaks: Afrikaans, English*, Gypsy/Romani, Dutch
Studies: Spanish, Flemish, Galician, Aramaic

Message 3 of 9
26 May 2011 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
These are hilarious! Thank you for the links.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6393 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 4 of 9
26 May 2011 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
Curses! I've known about this comic for months, but never thought to post about it here. Those votes could have been mine!
7 persons have voted this message useful

JimC
United Kingdom
tinyurl.com/aberdeen
Joined 5358 days ago

199 posts - 317 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 5 of 9
26 May 2011 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
Curses! I've known about this comic for months, but never thought to post about it here. Those votes could have been mine!

Not that you are at all competitive!

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 6 of 9
18 September 2011 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 
I can't remember the name now, but there is a series of funny books about national stereotypes. I found some of them online once before.

I remember that the one about Sweden showed a Swedish map of Europe, with Sweden dominating almost the whole map, and everywhere else being quite tiny :-)

Maybe someone will come up with the title(s)

2 persons have voted this message useful

Anonymouser
Antarctica
Joined 4734 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes

Message 7 of 9
18 September 2011 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
I can't remember the name now, but there is a series of funny books about national stereotypes. I found some of them online once before.

I remember that the one about Sweden showed a Swedish map of Europe, with Sweden dominating almost the whole map, and everywhere else being quite tiny :-)

I believe you have "The Xenophobe's Guide" on your mind. I am not able to post any links here but they do have website, check it out.

Also, you have one vote more thanks to my bad aiming with mouse. Use the vote well and have a nice day.
2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 8 of 9
19 September 2011 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
Anonymouser wrote:
montmorency wrote:

I believe you have "The Xenophobe's Guide" on your mind. I am not able to post any links here but they do have website, check it out.

Also, you have one vote more thanks to my bad aiming with mouse. Use the vote well and have a nice day.

I believe you are right. I have therefore returned the compliment of your vote.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version