Joined 4915 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 9 of 11
24 May 2011 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Lianne wrote:
The people in St. Boniface that are my relatives are all born and raised in St. Boniface, and they're bilingual, but prefer French. My younger cousins in particular speak French better than English, because they go to French schools.

Are you really sure? My kids go to French schools too and apart from the kids who were born abroad, ALL their friends speak better English. It seems most of the kids use English with eachother in the school anyway. And I can assure you that the French taught in the schools would never be an acceptable level in Québec. The reality is just completely different.

I'm pretty sure. One of my cousins, Melanie, is 14 and goes to French school. As far as I know she uses French with her friends at school (though I'd have to check with her to be sure). Her mom teases her that her English isn't that good, so that's mostly what makes me think that she's better at French.

And what exactly do you mean, the French taught in the schools would never be an "acceptable level" in Quebec? She's not taking French classes in an English school, she's in a French school. Do you just mean that the accent is different from Quebec?
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5181 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 10 of 11
24 May 2011 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
Lianne wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
Lianne wrote:
The people in St. Boniface that are my relatives are all born and raised in St. Boniface, and they're bilingual, but prefer French. My younger cousins in particular speak French better than English, because they go to French schools.

Are you really sure? My kids go to French schools too and apart from the kids who were born abroad, ALL their friends speak better English. It seems most of the kids use English with eachother in the school anyway. And I can assure you that the French taught in the schools would never be an acceptable level in Québec. The reality is just completely different.

I'm pretty sure. One of my cousins, Melanie, is 14 and goes to French school. As far as I know she uses French with her friends at school (though I'd have to check with her to be sure). Her mom teases her that her English isn't that good, so that's mostly what makes me think that she's better at French.

And what exactly do you mean, the French taught in the schools would never be an "acceptable level" in Quebec? She's not taking French classes in an English school, she's in a French school. Do you just mean that the accent is different from Quebec?

While I cannot claim that this is true of all teachers working in French schools (not immersion) in Manitoba, most of the ones I met speak better English than French, as their French is heavily influenced by English, be it in terms of grammar (such as wrong use of prepositions, for instance), vocabulary, sentence structure, etc. It's common to read English sentences written word-for-word with French words even in school work, memos or newsletters. From a Québec point of view, where school is considered to be a role-model in the quality of the language the students are exposed to, this is often amateurish.

In Québec, teachers need to pass language exams before they are allowed to teach. The level of most teachers here would be insufficient by those standards.

However, I don't mean this to be a blame; the main goal of the French schools in Manitoba is to get the kids to use the language and to keep it alive. Quality is not a priority.

Edited by Arekkusu on 24 May 2011 at 10:12pm

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4915 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 11 of 11
24 May 2011 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
Wow, that's news to me. I find it pretty disturbing that teachers wouldn't need a language exam before they can teach in that language. It's great that they're keeping the language in use, but I think quality should be a priority. Well, thanks for the education on that topic!

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version