Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5158 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 1 of 42
25 May 2011 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
I have a new Russian acquaintance and I've been relishing the opportunity to find out lots of information about her homeland and languages. She's from the Komi Republic near the Ural mountains on the European side and she told me that there it's compulsory for all school-goers to learn Komi and has been for many years. There are 1 million people in the state and only 25% of them are Komis and a lot less of them are Komi native speakers but still everybody has to learn it even though most never get the opportunity to use it.

She said that there are national Komi language competitions for children, a TV channel and so on.

She hates this law and says that most people do because Komi speakers only live 'in the forests near the mountains'.

Personally I was very surprised to hear that Russia is so supportive of its minority languages. She says it's the same in most of Russia.

I think it's great that so many languages are being supported and protected in such a big country, but I'm biased as a language lover and I completely understand her opinion too.

Any opinions?

Edited by hribecek on 26 May 2011 at 6:09pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4924 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 2 of 42
25 May 2011 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
I think it's great to do anything possible to protect a language that could become endangered. The perspective I'm coming from is living in Canada, where there are many extinct or endangered Aboriginal languages. I'm not Aboriginal myself, but I know that many of them are worried about losing their languages, and from a language-lover's point of view I'm worried too. At some point I would like to learn one of them, but they are reeeeeally hard, and it can be difficult to find resources. So I think it would be cool if one were taught in schools here.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6965 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 3 of 42
25 May 2011 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
This is very interesting. Up until now I've only heard that these minority languages are under societal or institutional pressure, and it's perfectly understandable to the point where I don't dump on the central government (in this case the Russian one) for favouring Russian over the other language even if this trend indirectly but slowly squeezes out the minority language.

I have mixed feelings about this since I'm more in favour of offering some choice in language instruction rather than rigid imposition thus leaving no choice for the prospective students.

If I were running the show in Komi Republic, I would keep Russian as the primary language of instruction while being flexible in offering English or Komi and if the budget permits, one or two other major languages that I can't settle on at the moment (e.g. Arabic, French, German, Mandarin, Spanish). Your acquaintance's negative impression isn't good for the long-run but imposing instruction in a foreign language whose utility is questionable or highly dependent on location (i.e. she'd need to spend a good part of her life among Komis to get substantial benefits) is not the way to go.

I'm also thinking of what I've seen in Canada (French lessons are mandatory for all Canadian pupils (it starts in primary school) even though you're more likely to hear a Chinese language rather than French on a randomly-chosen street in Canada outside Quebec), the USA (Spanish lessons for American students) and Finland (Finnish Finns get mandatory instruction in Swedish, even though Swedish Finns comprise about 5.5% of the population). In these instances proficiency in French, Spanish or Swedish varies widely (useless to professionally fluent) and not a few Canadians, Americans and Finns seem to come out with negative experiences in learning foreign languages generally because their big reference point was forced instruction for a "useless" language while living in a time when English is omnipresent or knowledge of the native language was substantially more applicable.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5820 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 4 of 42
25 May 2011 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
The Russian Federation is at risk from nationalism in many of its territories (consider Chechnya etc), and language is often a vehicle for nationalism.

A central government that supports linguistic diversity diffuses the appeal of seperatism. And what's the downside? The Russians who live in the Komi Republic object, but there would be no logic in splitting off from Russia in order to speak Russian. Remember also that Russian speakers were planted there by the USSR in order form a majority and stabilise the area, preventing seperatism. Many of them may be settled, but as I understand it a substantial number of them were actually born in Russia proper. Nobody's asking them to leave, just to integrate with Komi society rather than force the Komi to integrate into Russian society.

Surely it's only good manners?
9 persons have voted this message useful

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5224 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 5 of 42
25 May 2011 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
It's indeed a fair tradeoff, given that one linguistically distinct cultural group (in this case, Russian) doesn't have much legitimacy to rule over the homeland of another linguistically distinct cultural group (in this case, Komi). It's the "price to pay" for Russia's geographic magnitude, so to speak.
3 persons have voted this message useful

kyssäkaali
Diglot
United States
Joined 5362 days ago

203 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish

Message 6 of 42
25 May 2011 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
Being forced to learn a language in this way though (in school) creates resentment for the language in question and achieves the opposite of what it was going for. The situation is the same in Finland, where Swedish is forced upon all children throughout the entire country despite Swedish only being spoken in a southwestern pocket of the country AND the fact that they all know Finnish too. Rather than churning out fluent Swedish speakers and a bilingual country, this Pakkoruotsi has produced incredible resentment and prejudice towards Swedish-speaking Finns and their language. It's really sad. I'd imagine it's quite the same in Russia, especially considering your friend in question who "hates" that she has to learn Komi and claims only bumpkins in the forest speak it. A huge problem in Finland is that students are never really given a clear reason for why they have to learn Swedish, so they basically spend years dragging themselves through the study of a language they couldn't possibly care less about. I'd be pissed too if I was forced to learn a language that I didn't want to. What a waste of time.

The best option is to offer the OPPORTUNITY to learn Komi, Swedish or whatever, advertise it well and give GOOD reasons for why it is a good idea to learn them, and people will come on their own accord. Offer the courses for free if you have to, and invite people of all ages... make it enjoyable. Just as languages shouldn't be forced into extinction, they shouldn't be forced out of/away from it either -- there are better and more effective ways to do this.

It's nice and all that Russia isn't totally ignoring these little languages/pretending they don't exist, but I'm not happy to hear that this is the method they are using.

Edited by kyssäkaali on 25 May 2011 at 11:07pm

9 persons have voted this message useful

akprocks
United States
Joined 5095 days ago

178 posts - 258 votes 
Studies: German

Message 7 of 42
26 May 2011 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
I support this plan entirely, as I hope to learn Russian sometime in the future and have always been interested in minority languages, maybe I can learn a Siberian one afterwards!

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7030 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 8 of 42
26 May 2011 at 1:30am | IP Logged 

I support this plan also, which is gaining knowledge, so it counts for something.

Myself being from Canada and not of aboriginal descent, but a language lover this would be a nice program. One proposal in my province, was for anybody to work at a place that has anything to do with First Nations employment would be to speak any of the indigenous languages in the province. The proposal was rejected by the elders and the big reason believed by some people were the currently employed would have to learn the languages. This includes the elders who rejected the proposal, so learning something new to them was not appealing.

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version