Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Has anyone won a Boren Scholarship?

Language Learning Forum : Languages & Work (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
jhois777
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4758 days ago

43 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese

Message 1 of 6
26 May 2011 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
I figure this is the right section for this question, but move it if it isn't please.
I recently picked Spanish back up after a year hiatus during my first year of college.
This is what brought me to these forums about 3 weeks ago and I must say this is a
great site. Anyways I have always wanted to study abroad, but I couldn't seem to find
good scholarship opportunities. I then find the Boren Scholarhsip which is basically a
scholarship to go study for a year with the main purpose being language accusation.
Now after reading about it I realize it will be very hard for me to win a scholarship
with Spanish being my target language (I still plan to learn it anyways). I really
hope someone who has had experience with this can answer me, but if not I am asking for
everyone's opinion. They do have Portuguese and Romanian as preferred target languages
which are two I would be interested in due to them being Romance languages. The main
thing they have going right now is an African iniative which is for Zulu, Swahili,
Yurba, and the one in Mali that I can't remember atm. I was thinking about doing one of
these as it would definitely increase my chances of getting in. I don't really know
what my real question is here guys I have so much going through my mind right now about
this I can't write it all down. Lets just go with a full out discussion on this.
1 person has voted this message useful

jhois777
Groupie
Joined 4758 days ago

43 posts - 47 votes

Message 2 of 6
26 May 2011 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
Sorry for the wall of text

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5623 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 3 of 6
26 May 2011 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
I guess the first question to ask yourself is why you want the scholarship. If you just want to go abroad and don't
care where, then choosing a language that the scholarship is focused on is fine. But if you don't want to study that
language or you want to travel to a specific place, then you shouldn't force yourself to study a language JUST to
raise your chances of winning.

Lasciel
Groupie
United States
Joined 5168 days ago

55 posts - 81 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 4 of 6
27 May 2011 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
"In most cases, study of Spanish of French is only permissible if the applicant is at an advanced level of competency, and students should focus on achieving further language proficiency through academic coursework in Spanish or French. However, students at the intermediate level of Spanish or French who are studying the sciences, technology, engineering, or mathematics are also eligible. Any award granted for the study of Spanish or French will be made contingent upon verification, through testing, of the student’s language level."

Do you think you could get to an advanced level before the testing? What's your major?

jhois777
Groupie
Joined 4758 days ago

43 posts - 47 votes

Message 5 of 6
27 May 2011 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
I am undecided right now. I am having a hard time picking my major. I am going to a CC
right now and I am going for free since I am in the honors program there. I feel like
I have the ability to major in anything as my past grades have been excellent in all
subjects. I just don't know.

As far as which language I want to learn I am not against learning that many. The only
ones I know I do not want to do are Mandarin and Arabic. They just don't interest me
at all. I don't know if I can be fluent in Spanish by then. I took it for four years
in high school and I am just starting it back up in the past month. I picking it up
pretty quickly since I have had a lot of exposure to it.

The languages I am interested in after Spanish are Portuguese, Romanian, and Japanese.
Now all of these are on the list and going to Brazil to learn Portuguese would be my
first choice, but I am interested in putting myself in a completely foreign situation
which would be going to Africa to learn Swahili.

This post has made me ask myself even more questions lol oh well.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5642 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 6
03 July 2011 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
There is already another thread about the U.S. Boren Scholarschip in this forum which you can find here:

U.S. Boren Scholarschip

Therefore this thread is closed.

Fasulye

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version