9 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
I Am Steve
United States
Joined 4721 days ago

17 posts - 17 votes
Studies: French

Message 1 of 9
30 May 2011 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
Strange, but there's no mention of the Rocket language course around here. I remember
signing up for the 6 day free trial. It was a private webpage with a load of audio
French tutorials, but it of course became inaccessible after 6 days (I don't know how
you
were supposed to cover all that content in that short amount of time, but I guess you
weren't meant to).

The audios I did listen to had a male and female instructor... the male was the main
teacher and narrator, while the female spoke only the French portions. The guy
implemented a lot of humor into it.

Anyone have a review of the actual pay course?

Edited by I Am Steve on 30 May 2011 at 8:13pm

1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4923 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 2 of 9
30 May 2011 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
The search engine here is awkward, but if you do a search, plenty of hits come up from people who have used the program:
Search results

In any case, try using G-search in stead of Text search. You'll get better results.

R.
==

I Am Steve
United States
Joined 4721 days ago

17 posts - 17 votes

Message 3 of 9
30 May 2011 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
Oooh, all right. Thanks.

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5749 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 4 of 9
30 May 2011 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
Are Fluenz and Rocket associated in any way?   I ask only because the marketing seems to be similar in terms of linking to all sorts of unusual sites in unusual ways,and some of internet marketing just seems a little sleazy.

I believe we have had posters pop up before just to promote these products in the past. Steve, I am not assuming this of you of course, although I note you have posted four times in one day, all relating to either Fluenz and Rocket.

I Am Steve
United States
Joined 4721 days ago

17 posts - 17 votes

Message 5 of 9
30 May 2011 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
There's little I can say to put you at ease, except that I plan to stick around for a
while. Walking advertisements, in my experience, always drop off the map after about 5-10
posts.

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5211 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 6 of 9
30 May 2011 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
I have to say I am beginning to suspect Rocket Languages do indulge in dishonest
advertising practices. I had created a thread highlighting how there were several
youtube channels advertising Rocket Languages products where they had stolen a video
from another youtube user and used it for advertising purposes and Rocket Languages
responded by saying it was due to one of their affiliates and that Rocket Languages
would give them a stern word.

Weeks later I see that these same youtube sites are still there. If Rocket Languages
want to maintain a reasonable reputation, they should stamp this kind of thing out if
their affiliates are doing dishonest things. I had to chuckle when I saw a video that
one of these channels had stolen of a woman comparing different Spanish products and
said they thought the Learning Spanish Like Crazy program was much better than Rocket
Spanish, while on the screen it advertises Rocket Spanish...

No doubt Rocket Languages will see this thread and comment but if they are telling the
truth about their affiliate doing this without their knowledge, they should tell them
to delete all these channels asap. They are not difficult to find.

Edit: @ Steve: I am not suggesting that I think you are working for Rocket
Languages though, just that I suspect them of dodgy practices.

Edited by jazzboy.bebop on 30 May 2011 at 10:32pm

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5804 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 7 of 9
31 May 2011 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
jazzboy.bebop wrote:
No doubt Rocket Languages will see this thread and comment but if they are telling the
truth about their affiliate doing this without their knowledge, they should tell them
to delete all these channels asap. They are not difficult to find.

Ah, but here's how it goes.

Rocket Languages don't own the websites containing these links, so can't take the material down.
All Rocket Languages can do is close the affiliate account for violation of the Ts&Cs, so the affiliate doesn't get any more money.
But -- oh, look! The links are still there! Whoops, that means Rocket still get the sale... and don't have to pay commission! What an unlucky coincidence!

But this isn't just Rocket -- I believe most companies will still accept an affiliate referral URL after the account is closed. As yet, I don't think there's been any legal judgements stating that accepting these referrals after notification of the breach of Ts&Cs makes a company complicit in their actions. Although it would be an interesting test case.

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5211 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 8 of 9
31 May 2011 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:

Ah, but here's how it goes.

Rocket Languages don't own the websites containing these links, so can't take the
material down.
All Rocket Languages can do is close the affiliate account for violation of the Ts&Cs,
so the affiliate doesn't get any more money.
But -- oh, look! The links are still there! Whoops, that means Rocket still get the
sale... and don't have to pay commission! What an unlucky coincidence!

But this isn't just Rocket -- I believe most companies will still accept an affiliate
referral URL after the account is closed. As yet, I don't think there's been any legal
judgements stating that accepting these referrals after notification of the breach of
Ts&Cs makes a company complicit in their actions. Although it would be an interesting
test case.

Indeed, Rocket Languages do not own the websites of the affiliate involved and can't
force them to take their sites down, however what I am talking about is the actual
youtube content which is in violation of youtube's own T&Cs. If Rocket Languages were
worried about their reputation, perhaps they could at least find out what the relevant
channel names on youtube were and then send a request to youtube to have these taken
down as they are quite blatantly using stolen videos from other youtube users and the
original videos are not difficult to track down.

So basically, they don't seem to care. They are quite happy to leave these channels
alone when they can easily have them taken down.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version