Snowflake
United States
Joined 5754 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 9 of 21
04 June 2011 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
newyorkeric wrote:
By the way, you can only display the pinyin of the new vocabulary with CLO so ChinesePod has an advantage there.

That's when using the freebie materials. When paying for the materials, you get the characters. I generally will buy a level...the audios and PDFs. I'm not interested in their online features, nor in working their lessons on my iPod. Buying the audios and PDFs gives me separate MP3s of the dialog or stories. The slow or repeat version in the lower levels have pauses so you can echo the phrase that was just said. There is also a set of "normal" speed MP3s with the same dialog/stories without any pauses. The slow/repeat versions so far use only the main female voice. The normal speed versions generally use 2 different native speakers. I use the MP3s for echoing and shadowing. When playing the the MP3s on my iPod, I can see the pinyin. The preference set for my account on their website is pinyin so I assume that's why pinyin appears on my iPod. If my preference was say simplified characters, then I assume those would appear on my iPod. BTW, once in a while I encounter errors in the PDFs. It's annoying but since I feel the price is reasonable and my knowledge of characters or English can compensate for the errors, it's not a big enough deal. Eg. if you suspect a mistake then check what the characters say. There's also some other things in the PDFs and audios that I haven't really used yet... remember seeing some additional MP3 dialogs with questions and character writing sheets.

Edited by Snowflake on 04 June 2011 at 10:16pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6377 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 10 of 21
04 June 2011 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
So you tried lots of stuff before you started ChinesePod, right?
Would it be fair to say that you already had a concious knowledge of many of the rules of grammar, but that you
simply weren't comfortable in their use?

I've never had concious knowledge of Mandarin grammar. Or, maybe. It's hard to say, since all the things I
associate with grammar, like conjugations and cases, aren't present in Mandarin. For me Mandarin feels like
vocabulary and pronunciation from beginning to end.

To clarify my statement: the other methods failed because I got so bored with them. I procrastrinated and cut my
study time short. I never got anywhere because I rarely studied. ChinesePod engaged me and made me keep on
going. The lessons were fun and I found myself enjoying the experience. Any resource will probably teach you
the language if you just stick with it, but my problem was I couldn't stick with them. I got bored.

In fact, I'm having the same problem with Michel Thomas Spanish. I started using it but around halfway I kept
procrastrinating and studying other languages instead, because studying with MT is just so boring. So that's what
ChinesePod did for me. It engaged me. The fact that it has a community of people learning together is probably
also a part of that.
2 persons have voted this message useful

aaronfan
United States
Joined 4718 days ago

14 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 11 of 21
05 June 2011 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
I've looked at both programs. I decided that if I were going to spend money on one, I would choose ChineseLearnOnline. I didn't like the randomness of Chinese Pod. As informative and sometimes entertaining as they were, they didn't meet my desire for a sequential, more organized way to learn Mandarin. And there are other sites out there that are similar to Chinese Pod. I think I had found two others that were similar.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6345 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 12 of 21
05 June 2011 at 6:55am | IP Logged 
Chinesepod beginner and newbie lessons are great, and well worth your time if you're strong in English. After that, I
just hate it. Random, negative, English intensive, poor translation method, non-building, single chinese
commentator lessons. There are so many better programs out there for intermediate learners, at least look around
when you get there.
3 persons have voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6174 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 21
05 June 2011 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
Snowflake, that's good to know. For the freebie downloads there's just the pinyin of the new words, without a translation.

ChinesePod has the pinyin, characters, and a translation, which is quite nicely presented. I got those mp3s with a trial account so I don't know if it's the case with their free downloads or not.

EDIT: If it wasn't clear, I was referring to the material displayed on the Ipod screen.

Edited by newyorkeric on 06 June 2011 at 3:21am

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5806 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 14 of 21
05 June 2011 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
Snowflake wrote:
When playing the the MP3s on my iPod, I can see the pinyin. The preference set for my account on their website is pinyin so I assume that's why pinyin appears on my iPod. If my preference was say simplified characters, then I assume those would appear on my iPod.

Are you able to verify that? It may be that the preferences only affect the online materials and the downloads are pinyin only.

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5754 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 15 of 21
05 June 2011 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Snowflake wrote:
When playing the the MP3s on my iPod, I can see the pinyin. The preference set for my account on their website is pinyin so I assume that's why pinyin appears on my iPod. If my preference was say simplified characters, then I assume those would appear on my iPod.

Are you able to verify that? It may be that the preferences only affect the online materials and the downloads are pinyin only.

Well, it's been over a month since buying a level so I cannot go back, reset the default and redownload the material. I suppose someone could ask them.

Edited by Snowflake on 05 June 2011 at 9:15pm

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6377 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 16 of 21
05 June 2011 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
I recall seeing both characters, pinyin and translation as "lyrics" on my iPhone when playing CPod dialogue MP3s,
but it was a long time ago, so I can't be sure.

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version