United States
Joined 4717 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 9 of 25
06 June 2011 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
LearningFrench, it's actually the opposite. Reading Chinese characters does not require
subvocalization to the same extent reading an alphabet, abjad or syllabary does. If you know the characters,
that is.

How fascinating! I have never even considered subvocalization within Mandarin/Chinese characters
1 person has voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5103 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 10 of 25
07 June 2011 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
I hear my voice when I read both English and Chinese.
I read English much faster than I do Chinese, but school was in English so I never had to read much Chinese.
I've noticed, though, that I read short phrases in Chinese faster than ones in English. Eg. items in a to-do list, such as "帶藥/Bring medicine". I think it's because my eyes don't have to move when I read the Chinese version.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5561 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 12 of 25
07 June 2011 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
paranday, I'll read that when I have time to, but maybe you can tell me already if it says anything about conciseness?

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5561 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 14 of 25
07 June 2011 at 5:48am | IP Logged 
I meant rather how many words/how many syllables are needed to express the same content in what is perceived a comparable register and if it takes the average reader longer to read a more concise text.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6377 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 15 of 25
07 June 2011 at 7:11am | IP Logged 
Whenever I read a Chinese text, I need to first decide whether to read it with Cantonese or Mandarin pronunciation. There are some rare characters where I might recognize the meaning but not the sound (much more common than recognizing the sound but not the meaning) and they kind of put me off. They disturb the flow. Sometimes I start reading something in Mandarin and then discover it's written in Cantonese and I have to start over. So at least for me, reading Chinese without some kind of subvocalization is hard, though it does happen with single characters or short signs.

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4973 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 16 of 25
07 June 2011 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
I meant rather how many words/how many syllables are needed to express the same content in what is perceived a comparable register and if it takes the average reader longer to read a more concise text.

I have Harry Potter in English and Chinese, Chinese version has smaller number of pages.
Chinese version has around 200 pages, when English version has more to 300.

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version