Maifun
United States
Joined 5074 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 1 of 2
08 June 2011 at 7:05am | IP Logged 
I'm in the market for a large German-English English-German dictionary. So far I have used exclusively PONS, in three of the smaller sizes, the largest being the Kompaktwörterbuch at ~130,000 words. I was thinking of moving up to the Großwörterbuch, but I stumbled upon the Collins Unabridged. The PONS weighs in at about 390,000 entries, while the Collins somehow packs 900,000 on 100 more pages.(?)

The second distinction is price. The PONS would cost about 120USD including shipping from amazon.de, while the Collins cover price is about $35 in the US. Both are highly rated, but I'm not sure where to choose. On the one hand, I have a high-quality product, familiarity and a relatively thorough system I love with PONS, ...but Collins is cheaper.

tl;dr, does anyone have experience with either of these dictionaries? How are the translations of terms, idioms, examples, context, etc., handled with the Collins edition? Are they well made? I will be using this new book for translations and further study of German. Thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5115 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 2 of 2
08 June 2011 at 7:49am | IP Logged 
BTW, both the PONS dictionaries and the Collins dictionaries are available online:
PONS
Collins
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version