Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4760 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 1 of 7
11 June 2011 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
I was wondering if there ever was a thread agout this before!!

What are common, cliche, or well-known pick up lines in different languages? Just in case not everyone here understand, in English a ''pick-up line'' is a short and colorful phrase that is usually over the top in flattery, that (mostly men), would use to impress or befriend a woman they meet for the first time, in order to start a conversation that could down the line lead to more than just a chat...

In fact, does every language have such things, since perhaps in many cultures approaching a woman like that is totally alien behavior?

If your language has some pick-up lines, it would be funny to see what they are and a literal translation!!
1 person has voted this message useful

B-Tina
Tetraglot
Germany
dragonsallaroun
Joined 5338 days ago

123 posts - 218 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Polish

Message 2 of 7
12 June 2011 at 12:53pm | IP Logged 
"Hello."

Works in all languages I know.
(And if forum policy allowed smileys, here would be one.)

2 persons have voted this message useful

Lugh
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 5230 days ago

10 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Korean

Message 3 of 7
12 June 2011 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
One of the most famous in French is: "T'as d'beaux yeux, tu sais !" (Lit. "You've got nice eyes, you know!") from Le Quai des Brumes an old black and white movie with Jean Gabin. (Most people do not remember where it comes from though...)

I'm sure there are many others but that's all I can think of as "cliché" pick-up line in French without going back to the sixties.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6760 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 4 of 7
12 June 2011 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
In Japanese it would be お嬢さん、お茶しない? "Hey, miss! You wanna go get some tea?"

It's not something people would actually say, but a cheesy cliché, something like the
English "Come here often?"

Japan has a very healthy "nanpa" (picking up girls) culture, which might be unexpected
considering they're not exactly known for their intimacy with strangers.

kyssäkaali
Diglot
United States
Joined 5364 days ago

203 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish

Message 5 of 7
13 June 2011 at 3:57am | IP Logged 
Just learn the pick-up lines (iskurepliikki or iskurepla in Finnish) in this video and you're good to go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOSOZ4iBUkI

:DDD

Really though, I don't think such things are used much in Finnish, except jokingly. I imagine the only place they would get used is in a bar, and Finnish men approaching random unknown women in a bar are preeeetty likely to be drunk, and will using according drunk speech. In fact I just did a google search and most of the sites I found where people are talking about the subject aren't taking it seriously and are just making up their own ridiculous lines, ex. "jos tää ois pokemon , niin mä valitsisin sut" (if this were pokemon, i'd choose you).

I know for a fact that I would never used a pick-up like in my native language. Actually I honestly didn't think there was anywhere in the world where people still used them other than really old men. "Hello" works for me.
1 person has voted this message useful

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5767 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 6 of 7
13 June 2011 at 5:29am | IP Logged 
In the Canadian language (spoken in Canada and in some parts of Newfoundland), it is
generally only women who use pick up lines, which invariably are some variant of "You
wish", pronounced generally in either the Cynical or Dismissive dialect. This is
considered an effective pick-up line because Canadian men are well-known to be unable to
resist a challenge, no matter how hopelessly outmatched.
3 persons have voted this message useful

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6826 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 7
13 June 2011 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
Unfortunately, this generally tends to go hand-in-hand with that awful condition known as "beergoggleitis", which causes the sufferer to utter "how drunk was I?" upon waking the following day and looking to their left (or right).

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version