Diglot
United States
Joined 4710 days ago

26 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, Greek, French

Message 1 of 8
16 June 2011 at 4:12am | IP Logged 
So basically, now that I've reached a point in Mandarin where I'm comforable with starting a new language, I've
decided to learn Greek. I'm half Greek and my grandparents and father speak it, although I was not brought up
bilingually (grrr....). I went to Greek school last year for the first time, in the adult class, as it was that or start
with the 1st graders, and it was absolutely terrible! The textbook was IN Greek, so even if I wanted to do
independant study, I wouldn't be able to because I didn't know what the book said. That book was
επικοινωνήστε ελληνικά with the accompanying workbook.

ANYWAY, this entire summer is dedicated to Greek, but I have no clue what to buy to learn. With Mandarin and
Spanish, I literally taught myself with no books or anything, just the internet and flash cards. But because Greek
has much more difficult grammar and imo is just a generally hard language (arguably harder than Mandarin) I
need a book to learn. I was looking at these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Greek-Essential-Grammar-Language-
Grammars/dp/0415232104 , http://www.amazon.co.uk/Build-Your-Greek-Vocabulary-Garafoul ia-
Middle/dp/1903103223/ref=pd_sim_b_2 . They have high reviews and seem pretty good. I also downloaded a
couple Greek podcasts. I've also never used any like listening programs like Pimsleur or Assimil. I also know the
alphabet already if that means anything.

Thanks in advance,
Niko
1 person has voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5351 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 2 of 8
16 June 2011 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
Not used it - but this has come recommended for internet learning -

http://www.kypros.org/LearnGreek/

nikorizzo
Diglot
United States
Joined 4710 days ago

26 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, Greek, French

Message 3 of 8
16 June 2011 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:
Not used it - but this has come recommended for internet learning -

http://www.kypros.org/LearnGreek/

Thanks, I'll definitely try that. Anything else anyone?

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4916 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 4 of 8
16 June 2011 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
Can't vouch for the quality of the course, but there's an FSI course available here.

Has both text and audio. Be warned though, the FSI courses are very dry.

R.
==
2 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5351 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 

Message 5 of 8
16 June 2011 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
one thing about FSI is that it uses the Kathomilumeni variant that was used by diplomats in the 60s - I don't actually know the extent to which it varies from the post 1976 reforms that introduced modern dimotiki as the official language (in fact I can't find references to Kathomilumeni save those in relation to FSI!), but its just a warning that things have changed since FSI. That said there are 3 whole books worth of FSI so it is pretty good going.

Edited by Elexi on 16 June 2011 at 6:30pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5618 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 6 of 8
16 June 2011 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
Filoglossia

Good course, it has it all, video clips, dialogues. grammar and exercises. Also available on CD Rom.

kam1892
United States
Joined 4713 days ago

10 posts - 12 votes
Studies: Greek

Message 7 of 8
05 August 2011 at 3:29am | IP Logged 
Niko, I bought the Linguaphone course, Greek Complete. Lotsa books and CDs there. I have not gotten into it yet, but hope to start in earnest in the next few weeks.

I did take a night course a couple of years ago, which was good, but not enough students to continue to the next stage. We used the textbook Greek Today, which, like yours, was all in Greek. I also have the Pimsleur Greek Comprehensive (30 disks), which I used before a trip to Greece six years ago. It helped, but when in a crunch my mind went blank. In retrospect, I needed better preparation, longer study. But it was good for learning pronunciation.

Linguaphone is expensive, but I got it at a good price when they were having a sale, and right now you might check their refurbished section, as the pricing is similar to the deal I got: Refurbished Course Sale - and I do see the Greek Complete course available, as of today. Just a suggestion, if you feel you could learn better with something like that.

Otherwise, Filoglossia looks good, as stelingo suggested, or the kypros.org from Elexi. You might take a look at About the Greek Language, also.

For grammar, I bought the Routledge Greek: An Essential Grammar of the Modern Language, which got good reviews, and I also have 333 Modern Greek Verbs by Papaloizos (I have an older edition I bought in the mid-1980's). Here's a page with lots of verbs, too: Modern Greek Verbs - Table of Contents

Now I just need to USE all this material!! :-)

Edited by kam1892 on 05 August 2011 at 3:59am

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5351 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 

Message 8 of 8
05 August 2011 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
You might also want to start by usuing TY's Teach Yourself Greek Script - a short exercise book on reading modern Greek letters.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version