Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

1.8billion English speakers:valid source?

Language Learning Forum : Philological Room Post Reply
Veedo
United States
Joined 5230 days ago

12 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 1 of 7
18 June 2011 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
I'm just curious on your opinion about this. In 2007 there was some kind of
highschoolish research paper posted on the Internet that haphazardly claimed there are
1.8 billion English speakers, "about 400 million of them being native speakers"
(emphasis mine). It's no longer hosted directly but you can find it in a web archive
here:

http://classic-web.archive.org/web/20070401233529/http://www .ehistling-
pub.meotod.de/01_lec06.php

The author appears to be some kind of German professor and he might have been using
this material in some of his classes.

There are no sources stating where he got his information but this one reference has
been used around the Internet, most notably on wikipedia, and is being taken as fact.
I could be wrong but it seems like this number was pretty much made up and probably
isn't true. It just smells kind of fishy to me.

Do any of you have any idea where this number could have originally come from or is it
just this one guy who basically made it up himself?

Edited by Veedo on 18 June 2011 at 4:42pm

1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6718 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 7
18 June 2011 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
Do you think the number of speakers is higher or lower than 1.8 billions?

Ethnologue has more info (although somewhat out of date).

Veedo
United States
Joined 5230 days ago

12 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 3 of 7
18 June 2011 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
I would say lower. Every other figure is much lower than 1.8 billion. The link you gave
appears to be actual data derived from the real world... the 1.8 billion figure appears
to be a number made up by a single guy.

Ygangerg
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5127 days ago

100 posts - 140 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, French
Studies: German

Message 4 of 7
07 July 2011 at 10:31am | IP Logged 
400 million-plus native speakers seems reasonable if you consider the amount of people in the largest English-speaking countries (300,000,000 U.S.) (60,000,000 GB) (30,000,000 Canada) (20,000,000 Australia). Sorry to anyone I left out (New Zealand, etc.) but we're already at a count of 410,000,000 here.

And plus, Ethnologue in the link from jeff_lindqvist can usually give you a ballpark.

That said, I would not at all be surprised if the number of people with a working knowledge of English were to be approaching 2 billion. 1.8 seems as good a guess as any.

Take a look at this very forum, for example. I wonder what percentage of the members are not native speakers of English?

Edited by Ygangerg on 07 July 2011 at 10:50am

Ygangerg
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5127 days ago

100 posts - 140 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, French
Studies: German

Message 5 of 7
07 July 2011 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
In any case, though, I don't know whence this guy produced the number 1.8 billion. His references seem a bit skimpy...

I wonder how many English speakers there really are on the globe? Then again, estimating foreign language speakers would seem, to me, even more monstrous a task than counting native speakers.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6512 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 7
07 July 2011 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
In many countries English is an official language, and this includes populous ones like India and Nigeria. This certainly doesn't mean that everybody speaks the language, but it adds to the confusion.

I found one unofficial survey of English skills in about forty countries here, and there are numerous other sources - but as long as claimed skills aren't tested those surveys are of dubious value.

In the EU a survey from 2006 showed that 38% of the population knew English as a secondary language (we have discussed the criteria somewhere on this forum), so that alone would give around 300 mio. speakers (not counting UK and Ireland). In some other countries everybody who have been through some kind of higher education must have learned English because only primary school uses the indigenous languages. In India some sources claim that just 1% really can speak English, while others claim far higher numbers. It's a jungle out there.

Edited by Iversen on 07 July 2011 at 11:28am

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5820 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 7 of 7
07 July 2011 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
In India some sources claim that just 1% really can speak English, while others claim far higher numbers. It's a jungle out there.

They've got deserts, mountains and farmland too, you know. :-p

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version