10 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5489 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 1 of 10
19 June 2011 at 6:17am | IP Logged 
I just stumbled upon this article – Chester linguist named one of most multi-lingual people in Britain - and noticed that the "Chester linguist" in question is in fact a member of our very own forum! Congratulations to Torbyrne, that's quite an accomplishment!

(P.S. I hope it's okay that I posted this. Let me know if not.)
4 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5643 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 10
19 June 2011 at 6:29am | IP Logged 
Torbyrne is one of my regular Skypies, so I know him quite well. As I know him he would never claim to "speak more than 30 languages" as it is stated in this press article.

I would invite Torbyrne to give a comment on this press article about himself and his daughter.

Let's wait what he says!

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 19 June 2011 at 6:31am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Torbyrne
Super Polyglot
Macedonia
SpeakingFluently.com
Joined 5891 days ago

126 posts - 721 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, German, Spanish, Dutch, Macedonian, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, Czech, Catalan, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian
Studies: Sign Language, Toki Pona, Albanian, Polish, Bulgarian, TurkishA1, Esperanto, Romanian, Danish, Mandarin, Icelandic, Modern Hebrew, Greek, Latvian, Estonian

Message 3 of 10
19 June 2011 at 8:33am | IP Logged 
Jinx, thank you for taking the time to tell the forum about this piece. I am happy for you to have posted it. It is, after all, in the public domain and a positive article. My local paper ran the article following another interview I did with Forbes last year and a later one with The Times (not free to view online) this year.

The Chester Chronicle article is very complimentary. It also shows how easily Chinese whispers can inflate claims of languages spoken. A great insight to me in what might have happened to other language learners. I have myself given the link to others, but prefacing it with "The effects of Chinese whispers..." ;)

Fasulye is right, I would never claim to "speak over 30 languages". I would say I have studied over 30, but that is something quite different. In fact, I think I have even written this before in a previous post. I am not a big fan of the number game, but instead prefer to qualify what I can do to keep things real and my feet firmly on the ground.

It is quite odd for me because I have been learning these languages my entire life, almost 30 years. It is as normal to me as breathing. The process has been a slow one. But when someone meets me now, cold, for the first time, they are usually shocked. I can almost understand that reaction as it is not a common ability. Online people tend to equate it to a belief "I don't believe..." and I get that too.

The hard reality is that, if you can speak a language, you can speak a language and this CAN be tested, even in a rudimentary way in a conversation with another speaker. There is no belief required and no need to inflate claims that can be shot down in an instant. The important thing is to know your own boundaries, be happy in them, stay real and carry on.

14 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5643 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 10
19 June 2011 at 8:52am | IP Logged 
What I like about this article is that it contains many facts about you, Torbyrne, which I have also heard in our Skype conversations, so I think for many details the Chester newspaper has cited you correctly. If you have studied over 30 languages, this gives a more realistic picture. I have also studied more languages than I can really speak for example on Skype.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 19 June 2011 at 8:58am

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6499 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 10
19 June 2011 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
Congratulations with the article - but it really is strange that journalists and others can't understand the difference between "speaks" and "have studied" (with "can read"/"understands" somewhere in between).

I was slightly intrigued by the passage "He was named one of the top two most multi-lingual people in the UK in an exhaustive search conducted by the Collins English Dictionary". Did they make a poll asking thousands of random respondents how many languages thay speak/know?

jondesousa
Tetraglot
United States
goo.gl/Zgg3nRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6060 days ago

227 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Mandarin, Spanish

Message 6 of 10
19 June 2011 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
Congrats on the article, Torbyrne. I always enjoy your YouTube vids and feel that you are a truly down to
earth linguist. Best wishes.

etracher
Triglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 5130 days ago

92 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Russian, Latvian

Message 7 of 10
19 June 2011 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Congratulations with the article - but it really is strange that journalists and others can't understand the difference between "speaks" and "have studied" (with "can read"/"understands" somewhere in between).

I don't think that journalists can't understand the difference, but in my experience and in the experience of the people I know who have had something to do with journalists, I can say that unfortunately they all too often end up writing what they want to write or whatever fits their agenda, no matter how one might qualify what one says to them. Not all journalists, of course, however Torbyrne is right to invoke Chinese whispers.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6378 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 8 of 10
19 June 2011 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
It's not surprising that a journalist (or their editor) will distory the facts as much as they can get away with. Outright
lies will come to light and cause the paper to lose credibility and thus money. Exaggerations, as a rule, will not, but
they will sell more copies and thus make money. Nobody wants to read about ordinary things in the paper.

Also: hooray for Torbyrne!

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version