Norway
Joined 6363 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 9 of 16
11 July 2011 at 10:03am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Not only do we find no hint in the grammarians of any sound akin to the soft c in English, as in sceptre, but they all speak of c and k and q as identical, or substantially so, in sound; and Quintilian expressly states that the sound of c is always the same.

Just thinking out loud, but couldn't this be a prescriptivism? That is, all the grammarians agree on it and it's expressly pointed out because people are already beginning to differentiate hard and soft 'c'. Just like if you look up any book on Cantonese pronunciation, "me" in Canto is "ngo5" and if you ask anyone on the street, that's how they'll say it's pronounced. But listen to their speech and you'll hear almost everyone pronouncing it "o5". When confronted with this, people say that's "lazy sounds" and claim that they themselves don't use it, but they do. Everyone who hasn't has special training (like newsreaders) or consciously change their speech (which often leads to hypercorrection in adding the 'ng' initial where it doesn't belong, like in *"ngaam1") do.

Could this sort of thing be going on in late Roman times? Are there any texts talking about linguistic pet peeves like the stuff dealing with split infinitives and "passive" voice in English?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5792 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 10 of 16
11 July 2011 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
Could this sort of thing be going on in late Roman times? Are there any texts talking about linguistic pet peeves like the stuff dealing with split infinitives and "passive" voice in English?

Ooh, a sort of Lynne Truss of the Roman Empire? That would be an interesting book^H^H^H^Hcodex.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 16
11 July 2011 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
Just thinking out loud, but couldn't this be a prescriptivism? That is, all the grammarians agree on it ...

It certainly could. And that is also why I wrote this: "If there actually was a distinction in archaic Latin, could it have lived on without being documented in the spoken language of the lower classes?". It is actually hard to understand why the development went so uniformly all over the Roman empire if 'soft' c and g didn't already exist (or evolve) during the expansionist period. But then you would expect to find grafitti and other 'uncensored' sources with tell-tale spelling errors, and I am not aware of such errors. However there are lots of things I'm not aware of so my ignorance doesn't prove anything.

Edited by Iversen on 11 July 2011 at 1:33pm

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5043 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 12 of 16
11 July 2011 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
Ah to be able to time-travel! Where's Doctor Who and his Tardis when you need them?

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5792 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 13 of 16
11 July 2011 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
Lord says "Quintilian expressly states that the sound of c is always the same". This could possibly be interpreted as prescriptivism. The question is: why mention it? As I understand it, Ancient Greek didn't make any change like this, so why did it seem pertinent to say explicity that it never changes? I can't imagine saying this without there being some counterexample -- and that counterexample would have to come from either a written language or a spoken variety of Latin.

Now, Lord makes his justification thus "Without the best of evidence we should hardly believe that words written indifferently with ae or e after c would be so differently pronounced by those using the diphthong and those using the simple vowel, that, to take the instance already given, in the time of Lucilius, the rustic said Sesilius for Kaekilius."

But if the the hard-C/soft-C distinction was non-phonemic (or almost non-phonemic), then would it really be that hard to believe? Furthermore, Lord also overstates the counter-argument by assuming that when we talk about soft-C, we're talking about S. What if it was like the Italian ci/ce, or like the English CH (where did we get that digraph from, anyway?), an /x/ like the lenited form of [k] in the modern Celtic languages, or even something approximating the English SH/French CH sound (I think one of the minor Romance languages has this sound)?

But it's all theoretical and there'll never be a clear answer anyway.

m89
Diglot
Argentina
Joined 4478 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, English

Message 14 of 16
16 January 2012 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
The Sardinian language is the only current Romance language that has retained the hard C and G in all positions.

Besides Latin loans in Greek, we have also loans in Germanic languages and Basque, to name a few.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5007 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 15 of 16
30 January 2012 at 4:26am | IP Logged 
An extremely interesting subject indeed, even if it's of little practical value nowadays. However, I find it rather ironic that

Iversen wrote:
... I found in a book on the internet about "The Roman Pronunciation of Latin" by Frances E. Lord (1894):

C appears to have but one sound, the hard, as in sceptic:

unless Lord is referring to the final 'c', modern day English speakers don't agree if the first one should sound as /k/ or /s/. Some splits are just recurrent, apparently...

Edited by mrwarper on 30 January 2012 at 4:27am

Itikar
Groupie
Italy
Joined 4450 days ago

94 posts - 158 votes 
Speaks: Italian*

Message 16 of 16
13 February 2012 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
Once ago I went in Sardinia and I heard a farmer speaking in Sardinian. I simply felt as if my version book from high school had acquired the ability to speak! I remember he said things like "ulterioris impegno" or "dominus", "domus" and so on. Were it not for those strange alien roots that appear randomly in Sardinian I would have bet he was an ancient Roman in disguise.

Regarding the pronunciation of Latin, especially C and G, there is another pronunciation, called "ecclesiastical pronunciation", where those letters are pronounced as in modern Italian. This is the pronunciation adopted by the Catholic Church and by most of Italian Latin teachers in high schools in Italy. It is also more suited to read Latin texts composed long after the classical age, such as Scholastica, Latin works of Petrarch or even Dog Latin. :)

Needless to say this pronunciation does not really reflect the complete evolution of Latin, since, while it is obvious that some of its features were reflected in the evolution of romance language, others clearly did not. I.e. In Italian the plural of "amica" (female friend) keeps the hard "c" --> "amiche" (female friends), while in the ecclesiastical pronounciation "amicae" sounds /aˈmi.ʧe/.

I apologise for my poor command of the English language and my slightly tortuous sentences.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version