Trying to find a copyright/publish date

Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4940 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 1 of 5
20 June 2011 at 9:03pm | IP Logged 
So, I'm spending this summer (one of many) going through a lot of stuff that's been in storage for a long time, and all this stuff has been accumulated from various generations of my family.

I recently came across an old French/English dictionary titled "Handy English French and French English Dictionary" by Wessely. There is no published or copyright date on it, but I know from writing on the inside cover that it was used for a high school French class in 1929. Nearest I can find online is that it was published "sometime in the late 1800s".

Is anybody familiar with this dictionary? It's fairly compact at 232 pages and is almost pocket-sized, considering it's hard-covered.

Any info in greatly appreciated.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 20 June 2011 at 9:06pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5366 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 3 of 5
20 June 2011 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
Looking at the dates for similar books by the same author, I'd guess the dictionary was first published towards the end of the 19th century (see Handy dictionary of the English and French languages) and that there may have been dozens of later editions too. This is also backed up the fact that David McKay Publications (who published this book) was founded in September 1882. [edit]

Edited by Teango on 20 June 2011 at 9:55pm

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4940 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 4 of 5
20 June 2011 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
Yep, found both those sites by Googling. Trying to find an exact date is going to be difficult, I'm guessing.

Thanks, though!

R.
==

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version